It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Ice May Be On Increase In The Antarctic

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
very true sardion, there's no denying that the human populaton is adding much more stress to the earth than in any other previous cycle that may have occurred.

I absolutely agree, but that doesn't mean we're causing global warming. CO2 levels (and Methane as well) have been increasing and decreasing for millions of years. Ice ages have come and go many times over, well before we started to walk upright.

I have Richard Noone's book as well as Graham Hancock's book Fingerprints of the Gods which also takes into account possibilities of the "great tree turning about its axis" (i.e. the polar shift).

I've ordered Fingerprints of the gods twice now, but they cancelled it both times, because its out of stock
I'll have a look on Richard Noone's book you mentioned, thanks

Fascinating stuff, I gave a lecture about this when I was 13, back in high school, I've always been very interested in it ever since.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
The Curse Of Certainty

Originally posted by Valhall
Luckily, your confidence that you know exactly what is going on won't stop the scientists who are charged with monitoring the situation.

There's a lot of that going around.

I love the way you write, and your approach and arguments are thoughtful and persuasive.

But this is not one of them.

Seekerof has a point. Discussion is fine, but finger-pointing isn't going to change any minds or do anything good.

I remain undecided about the questions being discussed here, but I am very firmly decided that I will only discuss them in an environment where open-mindedness is tolerated.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
"I wonder if there could be some tectonic instabilities that could arise if this "current warming trend" persisted to the point we became bottom-heavy? "

Regardless of the reason for the warming trend ... does anyone have an answer or theory regarding the above question?

IF Graham Hancock was correct in his supposition that Antarctica was at one time 30 degrees north of it's present position, could that have been caused by a situation similar to the earth becoming "bottom-heavy"?

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

ZM,

I read a study on this a couple of weeks ago in which the scientists had modeled global warming cycles and their model showed that as the ice melted at the north pole it would increase at about the same rate at the south pole. It's very interesting!

So, just assuming this model could be accurate:

What happens when we get all bottom-heavy??? Serious? That's my question.

[edit on 8-22-2005 by Valhall]

We should remain balanced as the ice would displace water to the north.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   
No, no it wouldn't. Because it's forming on a landmass not on top of the ocean.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

No, no it wouldn't. Because it's forming on a landmass not on top of the ocean.

Hi Vall,

I thought about this for a while, but I think you're wrong.
The air above Antarctica is very dry, in fact its dryer than the air in the Sahara. Also there is as much, or even slightly less rainfall on Antarctica than in the Sahara desert.
See this website for more info.

So I believe, as the article suggests, that only the sea ice increases, not the ammount of ice and snow on the continent itself.

It is, however, a very interesting theory, that the Earth could start to wobble if one part of the earth gets (a lot) heavier...

[edit on 8-24-2005 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
are you people thinking about this earth flip thing as if there is no gravity? cause the way you talk make it sound as if the earth is a top and is going to topple over. but it isnt, there is no up or down, just the spining motion. have a look at a globe now. you will see that a whole heap of land mass, far much more than in the south than in the northen hemisphere. now how come the earth isnt going through some major flip to correct this? prehaps the current axial tilt of the earth at 23 degrees is it slowly moving the current north pole down to the equator ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join