It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

thought stream vs verbal thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
One day I asked myself what it be like to think if you were deaf. Without having ever heard speech you would no doubt not think in verbal words as (I assume) most people do. Maybe you'd visualize words as we imagine our voice, but none of that really mattered because I was stuck on the concept of thought without sub-vocalization.

Recently I came across a speed reading pdf, and one of the concepts taught is to learn to not 'hear' the words you see as much as let images appear in your head. It would also seem that being able to do this in general thought could open a lot of new doors. I believe many people learn this on their own (at least the reading aspect of it) and I'm wondering if there are other ways to develop this ability apart from the various speed reading techniques.

Has anyone consciously/unconsciously developed this ability? What techinques did you apply?

Thanks.

fum

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
i can read lips really well so if i like pluged my ears for a day i could make out what people were saying by just reading their lips

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Image Streaming.

This is a valuable link, thanks, but I think we are thinking of seperate things. These exercises practice visual thinking and verbal/mental cooperation, but I am looking to cut the sub-vocalization out of my thought.

from Speed Reading Learning Book
"Most of us, as we read, 'speak' the words in out heads. It is subvocalisation that holds back fast reading and it is unnecessary. It is possible to have an inner speech, a kind of 'thought awareness,' that isn't linked to the tounge, mouth, and vocal cords muscles, and this is much faster and more fluent. Cutting out the identification of vocalisation and the stream of thought gives a surprising by-product. Many of us think that our constant subvocalised ' speaking voice' is who we are. Finding out that you can think and be aware without a vocal stream of words, opens up your consciousness to the usually unrecognised domain of intuition and spiritual awareness."

Hopefully this describes what I am looking for. At a glance Image Streaming seem be in direct confliction with non-verbal thought since Image Streaming reinforces the linguistic bond to thought.

Although raising my IQ a few points would never hurt, it is not the what I hope to gain from my studies. It is the personal development only thought can achieve that I am searching for.

Opinions/stories/insights?

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It is a hard job to do to silence the Mind esp when you can come across errant thoughts and obsessions, these are what the Yogi's call False Personas or Personality Constructs or possibly just sedimints within the brain that will eventually clean themselves out. Possibly Ids and Ego Constucts and Obsessions left over from residual mundane and self destructive lifestylisms abound.
This is where we know evertything may seem like Maya ie false, and fully working within Michael Talbot's Holographic Theories.
Some people use earphones or headphones to better the work of silencing the Mind, even meditating under the water can aid as well. This can work good to effectively block out extrenous thought as in verbal anchors from overheard conversations, which may replay in someone's head whilst mediating, believe me I've been there! So watch out for the Vampires!!

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Thinking in a non-verbal manner is,I believe,a more advanced form of thought.Abstract concepts that do not follow a linear form or bear the characteristics of verbally formed thought seems to me to be a deeper process of thinking.On a side note I have theorized from my own experiments that it is much easier to "read" the thoughts of someone who is thinking in a linear or more word based manner.More abstract thought seems much harder to pin down and read.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
abstract thought may be hard to read cuz it is not applicable or definable clearly with words. Or, it could be that it is nonsense, and it is hard to make sense of nonsense. I think the pc, the net, and tv are all forcing our minds to shift from words to pictures, which may be the big shift that is so overhyped these days. The creative side may soon replace the analytical side, or said another way, God may soon give way to Goddess. Love may replace Intellect as our prime motivator, and we may then solve things by our intuition, which may become more popular a path than linear deduction.

new topics

top topics

join