It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Global Warming Summit Ends With Squabbles And Pleas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
A plea by Denmarks Environmental minister Connie Hedegaard to stop squabbling and take urgent action, has come at the end of a 23 nation summit on ways to combat Global Warming. The representatives at the 4 day meeting chaired and hosted by Denmark in Greenland, have toured a fast receding glacier. The informal talks hoped to smooth policy splits after the USA pulled out of the United Nations Kyoto Protocol in 2001.

today.reuters.co.uk
Exact details of the talks were kept confidential.

Denmark, which owns Greenland, called the talks to find a way out of the deadlock.

"There is a growing consensus on the need for action now," Hedegaard said. "Several ministers underlined how their countries are already experiencing severe economic, social and environmental consequences of climate change."

U.N. studies suggest worldwide temperatures may rise by 1.4-5.8 Celsius by 2100, triggering more droughts, storms and floods and driving thousands of species to extinction. Melting icecaps could raise sea levels by almost a meter by 2100.

"Ministers have come face-to-face with the visible evidence of the scale and urgency of the climate change challenge," British Environment minister Elliot Morley said after viewing the polar icecap from a helicopter.

He said the latest satellite data showed that Arctic Sea ice had shrunk to a record low for the month of June.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It really is about time once and for all information was passed on about global warming and the plea to stop squabbling has come at the right time. This is the time for action, before it is too late. It is not just greenhouse gases that is the issue, deforestation and human population growth are aslo great contributers to this problem that we all face, in every corner of the Earth.

Related News Links:
www.planetark.com

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Very true, and I wish I was optimistic about it, but alas, human nature being what it is.

Unless the Western world, and I mean Primarily the US, but Canada doesn't do much(if any) better have far too high of a standard of living. This results in much waste and a thinking pattern that we deserve it over someone else. Listening to posts on here demonstrates this admirably.

Sadly it is terrosim, generational terrorism whereby our actions, or inactions, today have horrible effects for generations yet unborn.

But who cares, can I get the Humvee in candy apple red, and make it fast, I'll barely have time to pick up my genetically modified monsanto products, sit in traffic for 20 minutes before I can sit in my air conditioned home with the windows open becuase,, as one person said "Because we can".

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet

today.reuters.co.uk
Exact details of the talks were kept confidential. [...]

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It really is about time once and for all information was passed on about global warming....
and the plea to stop squabbling has come at the right time.

Related News Links:
www.planetark.com

well sir, that forum which professes to inform the global public.....
is itself a secretive body.-> what else would the lead-in sentence mean?
"...Exact details of the talks were kept confidential..."

imho, a bunch of overpaid fat-cats, engaged in preserving their own
feathered nest arrangement.....why else would details be secreted???
just more of the I-Know-Something-You-Don't-Know, .....................junk!!

...i.e. subjective junk at that
so what, in 100 years the mean ocean level rises 3ft ~(1 meter)
i'm of the school of thought that the continental plates/earths' crust
will also rise as the downward pressure of the ocean floor is increased...
Ha!...my speculation counters their speculations

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Passer by,

This exemplifies the American mentality more than any statement I could have written.

Kudos!

"But who cares, can I get the Humvee in candy apple red, and make it fast, I'll barely have time to pick up my genetically modified monsanto products, sit in traffic for 20 minutes before I can sit in my air conditioned home with the windows open becuase,, as one person said "Because we can"."

I am a common American, no humveee, SUV, no oil well in my back yard and I see as a destructive gluttonous society. Where we have the greatest possibility of making changes to affect the future of the world, we choose to take everything possible leaving the crumbs for our children and your children dimishing their lives by our greed.

Kudos Passer by

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   

as posted by Mayet
This is the time for action, before it is too late.

Before what is too late, Mayet?
Seems to me that if global warming is proven accurate, then the damage is already done. The only thing that can be done is to limit further inherebt damage from being caused.
Clarify please.

It is not just greenhouse gases that is the issue, deforestation and human population growth are aslo great contributers to this problem that we all face, in every corner of the Earth.

On the matter of deforestation, are you indicating a rate as compared to tree farms and replanting processes take hold?

As for over-population: are you advocating, like the UN and Chinese, global population control?

seekerof

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
No I have no answer to over population..everyone deserves to live. I guess though it will come down at one point to the survival of the fittest.

The deforestation issue is extreme, even the astonauts on discovery commented on the destruction visible from space. take a look at the amazon rainforest..they were the largest oxygen producers in the world......now a mere 10 to 20 percent of the size of a few years ago...

Haiti destroyed all their trees and look what happened to them from it in the last floods.

The damage may have been done but it is not too late to stop and maybe reverse some of the damage caused by these issues.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I would agree on the deforestation, Mayet.
Thanks for those comments related to that.

Where I live, we are blessed to have the ability to grow trees, pines to be exact, as a cash crop. Genetically enhanced seeding has allowed for a rotation time period of 17-20 years.

In mentioning what I did above about pines, maybe agriculture science can manipulate different seedlings to the point where those trees lost, say in the Amazon Rianforest, etc, can be replanted or reseeded with those gentically enhanced seeds/seedlings and regrown. I understand the theory that it is easier to cut down/tear down than it is to build/regrow, but a chance of helping mother earth regenerate what is being lost in trees/forests will help in the end? Other than crop land, cattle land, building zones, many states in the US have a vigorous, successful seeding/seedling program after cutting down trees, especially in the Mid-Atlantic area where I am.

seekerof

[edit on 22-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
There was a Global Warming Summit?

I see that's been all over the mainstream news...

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Why is America always the first to be blamed for just about everything? There are also still some who think that global warming is not that well documented. I happen to believe we have big environmental problems all over this planet and every country needs to do their part to improve things, not just those things they think contribute to global warming.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I dont blame America.. I blame everyone.

I did a whole study of the history of a region here in Queensland. Australia is a relative new nation compared to others. in the area there were huge bunya pines and other large hardwood trees that underwent frenzied clearing in the early 1900's. The wood was used in houses all over the world. Now there is none left. No old growth forests and none replanted to replace. A system can easily be introduced...That area is crying long term drought and empty dams now

yes Mr Farming man...you may clear 100 acres to plant your crop but at the same time you must replant acres and acres of trees in another section of your land. For every clearing there should be replanting.

As clearing takes place native animals lose their habitats and many species become extinct. There needs to be a balance. I am not talking extreme I am talking balance. The world has lost it's balance and onces the scales tip too far.. well you can picture my meaning.....it will fall over as such.

Fishing commerically is raping the seas. i watched a documentary on herrings and watched as a boat drop its net and pulled in millions and millions of these fish. Balance, at the same time they should be farming fingerlings to replace that which has been taken. Its all in the balance. The herring industry has just started up again after a ten year ban and when i see the numbers being taken I can see why the stock is depleted so fast. It breaks the food chain and we can do something about it.

pollution is a small player in the global warming issue. Oh it's important but there is so much more to factor into the equations.

Rain needs trees and mountains to drop onto, instead there is nothing but flat cleared land.

Here's the rest of a poem that I have in my sig

The mountains and hills that erupt from the ground
bring life to the water as it starts on it's round
gathering together falling faster the flow
starting the movement for the wind that will blow

The water that falls runs to pools in the rocks
decaying and rotting all movement just stops
along comes the sun bringing heat and bright light
distilling the water until vanished from sight.

Rising high above earth it forms to a cloud
and gathers it's forces 'til it screams out loud
with the wind that is blowing it around and around
over the mountains it bursts to the ground

With a loud clap of thunder and lightening as well
the storms and the clouds reflect the story to tell
bring with it the rainbows who's colours refract
deep inside universal mirrors all natures exact

Not one being first not one being last
the past is the future the present is past
they split the atom and dropped the bomb
the earth will fight back before it is gone.

Sorry to bore you all but its kind of fitting to this issue.

[edit on 22-8-2005 by Mayet]

top topics

join