It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

max 80 years left to live on earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2002 @ 11:38 AM
link   
If we don't do something soon we only have 80 years max to live on this earth.

First of all we only have 80 years left with our fossil fuels and that supplies a major part of electricity and makes cars go. I realize we are working on making an alternative fuel for cars but that still isn't everything. If we come up with another way we will still only have about 85 years because first of all not many people can pay all of that money for those cars to be produced. Also, gas powered cars go faster than electric ones. The only way they could change that is if they made it illegal or something to use gas powered cars. Another thing is that most people use gas or oil in their homes for heat. Some also use coal but that is only 1 percent. That takes up a lot of fuel. The people that think their safe by using electric heat are probably not because the power plant they get it from is most likely burning fossil fuels.

Ok, if we save all of our fossil fuels and stuff like that we will still encounter another problem that might be a major problem in the next 50 years is that the trash disposal has to go somewhere. We need to pack down all the trash that we start to get and make a bunch of large rooms in the ocean along the coast to put trash so it does not affect the ocean life which, if we lost that we would first of all lose billions of jobs and about one fifth of our food. Also we would have to spend more money on plants to clean up the water to drink. Anyways, back to the trash, If we make those rooms it will cost money but it will be better in the long run. The only other way I can think of is shooting it up to space but that might eventually destroy the sun quicker or piss off the aliens more. lol. And that would be jillions of dollars to do. Maybe do that with nuclear waste like send it to venus or some planet we might not use.

OK another reason we only have 80 years is cause of the ozone. fossil fuels, spray products, and millions of other things cause the ozone to crack and break, If we lose the ozone we will all have to wear protective suits to go outside, make our homes better, and/or put a dome around the earth.

Some other various reason for this are. For one I heard about some asteroid coming and possibly wiping out the earth, most of it , or missing it. I had another one or two but i just forgot them . Maybe i'll remember later.

My solution is that we start to see what it is like if we move some people to space. Also, start researching mars to see if it would be a good idea to move there or fix it up any certain way so that we could, That is a long shot but maybe global warming might affect mars and it might be warmer but still i doubt it would be mars. Instead I think we should move to a planet closer to the sun or farther away because the climate of mars changes too often. Well, what do you guys think.

posted on Sep, 18 2002 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Uh huh... have you actually thought about this rationally?? We can't save fossil fules, or maybe come up with a different type of energy, but we can move the entire population of earth to a completely DIFFERENT PLANET?

r i g h t

posted on Sep, 18 2002 @ 03:52 PM
link   
you see that would be far fetched and nearly impossible, what i said above about what we should do would kinda work but, like i said would be nearly impossible thats why I had asked everyone what their points are on this, we could possibly save fossil fuels if we build more nuclear, wind , and dam power plants

posted on Sep, 18 2002 @ 04:32 PM
link   
The ozone is still being depleted by aerosols we used... ever... So even if we were to stop all use of any ozone-harmful stuff, it wouldn't make that much of a difference because we'll be dead soon anyway. And most of the world is too stupid to realize something has to be done now, before we kill ourselves! So everyone's going to sit around until half the world's population has skin cancer and dies.. then they'll go "Ok everybody... it would be nice to start using other forms of energy than fossil fuels... haha, just kidding, the world will never run out, stupid!"

posted on Sep, 18 2002 @ 05:21 PM
link   
How exactly can you prove that the ozone layer is decreasing because of our polution? Sure it obviously is, but who's to say that most of it isn't natural? Maybe it's not all completely our fault, the earth's atmosphere has been changing since it was first formed. But that's not the solution so it's kind of pointless thinking about that, i was just wondering if anyone has any information on why scientists blame pollution most

posted on Sep, 18 2002 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Well they look at the ozone with a lot of pollution under it... But it's true that the atmosphere could be constantly changing naturally. Well we'll all be dead sooner or later, so why worry?
once his eyes pop out he will be too.

posted on Sep, 19 2002 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Fossil fuels don't make holes in the ozone. Where the hell did you get that idea from? Using fossil fuels results in global warming, not ozone depletion. chlorofluorocarbons like Freon are the things reasponsible for the depletion of the ozone. But lucky for us they have been off the market for some time now.

BTW there is a hole in the ozone the size of Australia, over the continent of Antartica.

posted on Sep, 19 2002 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Fossil fuels don't make holes in the ozone. Where the hell did you get that idea from?

LoL Every school in the country pretty much.. It's not my fault I wasn't educated properly damnit!
And who's to say these "chlorofluorocarbons" cause depletion in the ozone layer? How do you know?

..stupid question? maybe but im just looking for some knowledge here..
thanks

posted on Sep, 19 2002 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Oh ya, CFCs, sorry, forgot about that. Dunno where I got the idea that pollution would deplete the ozone
OK, most everything I said can be proven wrong somehow, forgot about that hole over antarctica too. Ya I guess my point was that CFCs last for... 50-100 years? so even after they've stopped being used the old ones will still be eating away at the ozone. I'm pretty sure about this one, but I'm sure someone'll come in and tell me I'm wrong!

posted on Sep, 19 2002 @ 08:24 PM
link   
actually the ozone is rebuilding around anartica

posted on Sep, 19 2002 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Where did you hear that from falcon?

Down here in Aus the hole is over us half the time, would be nice if it was getting smaller

posted on Oct, 17 2002 @ 09:13 PM
link   
OK----Well things are getting better at least!!
BTW----that new oil field in the Caspian Sea region----the one above Afghanistan---has 500 years worth of oil in it. So, we don't have to worry about the fossils!

posted on Oct, 18 2002 @ 10:12 AM
link   
good i dont want to live past 30... haha

posted on Nov, 4 2002 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Firstly, we have reduced our CFC emissions to the point that the hole in the Ozone layer _is_ closing.

Secondly, before 80 years are through I almost guarantee that we will have developed fusion power, which will be a lot faster than fossil fuel powered vehicles, beleive me.
The only problem is that a lot of people in the Middle East will be very pissed off as that is the only commodity they are really selling at the moment.

Trash disposal... I have an idea... throw antimatter at it! no.. that will probably destroy the entire earth... on second thought probably the whole solar system... well maybe not that extreme... well i arn't an expert on the blast radius of matter vs antimatter collisions.
I guess we cant send it into space *yet*, so until that time comes we'll just have to continue burying it.. or maybe build one of those cean rooms... anyway..

Moving people to space...
Until we can manipulate the not yet discovered quantum mechanically predicted graviton, it would be a crazy idea to start it.

We would need a planet with the same mass as earth because on something bigger our hearts would find it near immpossible to pump.
On a planet smaller, the citizens would have tostay on a planet that size, because if they return to earth the same thing as I explained above would occur...

our hearts are/would become too weak.

posted on Nov, 5 2002 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon
I guess we cant send it into space *yet

With some more research in electromagnetics, I'm sure that someone could figure out a way to build a railgun-based mass driver that could shoot certain amounts of waste into a calculated "coasting trajectory" that would take it to the sun. Much cheaper than using solid or liquid-propulsion to reach escape velocity & I haven't heard of *any* type of waste that we can produce that would have any harmful effects on such a large nuclear reactor as the sun itself is. Of course, I'd hate to see the overall *length* of the rail that would need to be built...

[Edited on 5-11-2002 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Nov, 5 2002 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Anon said...
well i arn't an expert on the blast radius of matter vs antimatter collisions.

Basically an amount of Anti-Matter equalling the amout of Matter in a Raisen, has the equivalent energy of 28 Solid Booster rockets on the Space shuttle.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 03:14 AM
link   
wow, that is very cool

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Yes and so far they have actually been able to make (more or less stable) Anti-matter Hydrogen...which is a great first step in producing anti-matter fuels, and also and most importantly, better understanding of the universe...very incredible...

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 7 2002 @ 03:29 AM
link   
yea, that is a big advance, but really we would need to create antimatter ions wouldn't we ? so that we can keep them in electro magnetic stasis until they are needed for the fuel...

posted on Nov, 13 2002 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Interesting point.
Btw i havent read all the replys so i may be repeating some things.

Now according to a study in 1980 we ran out of fossil fuels about 5 years ago. Truth is we keep finding more and more and more and... Its a big world and theres plenty of gas to go round.

Now i dont argue we need to find alternate sources of energy but right now running out of gas is something im not paricularly worried about.

new topics

top topics

join