will oil prices come down?

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
when does everyone here think oil/gas prices will go down or will they ever, and if they do how fast would you think they would go down?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I really don't see much chance of the price going down any time soon, at least not until the next Presidential election, and the Republican party tries to make itself look good again.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Most probable after labor day. May ease back into the high 50's. That's my prediction.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
As I understand the oil problem, and I have done
enough reading and research on it that oil has
been my largest stock holding over the last five
years or more it boils down to this:

Demand is outstripping supply and that is not
likely to change unless demand decreases. Supply
is dwindling and any new supply will probably
not equal the oncoming demand. Since demand
has to decrease to effect this supply/demand,
a good guess is that demand will decrease at
some point when the price rises enough to
knock out demand enough to make supply greater
than demand. So far, the price rise has not
choked off enough demand and it looks to be
still rising.

As it rises eventually this will choke off
enough demand and the price will back off.
I suspect the point is still in the future.
If I had to pull a figure out of the air,
I would guess that demand should slack off
as oil gets into the $80 to $100 area.

Whenever it does back off, I suspect that
demand will increase and pretty quickly
put a new floor under it and then it
might gradually increase until such point
as new energy technologies come on stream.

I think people betting on presidential
elections to fix it are going to be disappointed.
I believe the market is going to set the price.
Politicians are not going to be able to control
this.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Okay don't hold me to my previous prediction of high 50's. I don't think it's going to get much lower than $62 anytime soon. And like most people, I'm making this stuff up and I have nothing to back my predictions up with

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The truth will eventually come out about VP Cheneys' secret meetings with
the oil exec.; about how they are pimpin for big oil so they can make obscene profits at the expense of the American working man that has to commute to work every day.

When the GOP realizes they are in danger of loseing a huge voting block; the prices will plumet and the GOP will take credit for lowering gas prices.

Saddly it will be to late because high gas prices will adversely affect the overall economy and come election time people will be voting their pocket book and they will be aware of what caused the recession.

The GOP will be replaced by the Democrats and the cycle will start all over again.

Welcome to the monkey house; it's a brave new world!

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
that's the kind of thinking that will make preparing and adjusting to the peak/post peak harder

Not that im defending cheney, bush, or the oil compaines

[edit on 24-8-2005 by Thatoneguy]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thatoneguy
that's the kind of thinking that will make preparing and adjusting to the peak/post peak harder

Of course you're right but that's what seperates the men from the boys in the market.

What do you think?

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Of course you're right but that's what seperates the men from the boys in the market.

Well, in that case I must be a little girl because I cry at the gas pumps,

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I cry at the pump too!

Playing the futures market can lessen the pain for now. But it's like keeping a bear for a pet. If you don't feed it well, it eats you.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
The barrel price might take a dip here and there.
But the pump price change will be small, if at all.
If the business owner buys it at $2.50 a gallon he's not going to sell it at $2.45.

Oil and gas are not going down quickly or soonly.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
prices will go up even if it temporaryly goes down. as long as China and India as well as other developing countries turned into industrialized nations and the need for more oil as means to continue their economies, prepared for 5 dollars a gallon.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
The truth will eventually come out about VP Cheneys' secret meetings with
the oil exec.;

Ridiculous. The administration has nothing to do with the global price of oil. Oil price is driven by the market. Despite what some people like to think its not a conspiracy and its got nothing to do with haliburton. Oil is expsensive because people are willing to pay a high price for it and there is a large demand. Oil will drop in price when everyone stops driving ludicrously ineffecient SUVS and other vehicles.

And seriously, everyone that is worried about the environment and air pollution had best hope oil prices never go down, and even start calling for an increase of taxes on the price of oil. That way, those alternative fuels that are more expensive than oil will be less expensive, relatively, and there will be pressure on the public and corporations to develop sell and buy vehicles that run on these sources.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Peak oil is a bitch.

Unless demand drops, prices are going to keep rising. They will become stable as soon as they match other sources of energy and electricity goes nuclear/alternative.

It amazing watching us hit this supply based economic peak and people STILL act like its local to a government or single event.

Is ther emore oil? Sure, lots... is there ENOUGH oil? nope, and never will be again.

join