It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia: No Space Weapons, Or Else

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hey obviously there are many issues with the weaponization of space. Russia has said they will attack anyone who tries to so this. Just wondering on your ideas of what could happen if this does happen.
Could this start World War III?

Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov on Thursday threatened retaliatory steps if any country deploys weapons in space, Russian news agencies reported.

Ivanov said Russia is "categorically against the militarization of space," according to the Interfax news agency.

"If some state begins to realize such plans, then we doubtless will take adequate retaliatory measures," ITAR-Tass quoted him as saying at the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.

President Bush's administration currently is reviewing the U.S. space policy doctrine. Last month, White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters that the policy review was not considering the weaponization of space. But he said new threats to U.S. satellites have emerged in the years since the U.S. space doctrine was last reviewed in 1996, and those satellites must be protected.

In 2002, after the United States withdrew from the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, China and Russia submitted a proposal for a new international treaty to ban weapons in outer space.

But the United States has said it sees no need for any new space arms control agreements. It is party to the 1967 Outer Space Treaty, which prohibits stationing weapons of mass destruction in space.

here's the source link:

Russia: No Space Weapons, Or Else
www.cbsnews.com...

[edit on 21-8-2005 by Darth Tinku]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Tinku
Just wondering on your ideas of what could happen if this does happen.
Could this start World War III?

No, just the end of russia as we know it

[edit on 21/8/05 by Scylding]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Poor Russians they don't have the money and resources to do it themselves so they threaten anyone who can.
Too bad the one they are threatening doesn't give a... about what Russia says. I suggest everyone read the US Air Force Transformation Flight plan.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scylding

No, just the end of russia as we know it

I'm not too sure what you mean about that statement. What do you mean by the end of Russia as we know it? Elaborate please

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I never understood why our Government went out of the way to state they wanted to weaponize space..

I mean, we send rockets and shuttles up there all the damn time, if they really wanted to weaponize it, they could have.. hell, for all we know, they already have..

And my main concern is this.. why the hell would you want to weaponize space anyways? It's just screaming global threat..

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
why the hell would you want to weaponize space anyways? It's just screaming global threat..

I agree with you QuietSoul

If this happens I thinks this will push all countries into a bigger war over this. We already have a big problem with nulcear weapons proliferation, why add this stress on the world.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
What do the russians have to worry about? The missile defense systems in the United States are about as acurate as a blind man with a gun.

www.cbsnews.com...

etc

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
After the 9/11 attacks I remember unofficial talk coming from the military about developing space platforms that could be loaded with a wide rage of weaponry and could be moved over any place on the globe when needed.. and could be used as "first strike" weapony... again I think it was just talk.

Here is some interesting information:

Link

Weaponisation of space

While space has become an increasingly important arena for military operations, countries have not yet placed weapons in space or developed weapons which would fire into space. Thus, for the moment, space is non-weaponised. However, this situation may soon change. A number of countries, including Russia, China and the US, are reported to already be developing anti-satellite weapons.

In January 2001 The Commission to Assess United States National Security Space Managament and Organisation, chaired by Donald Rumsfeld, now US Secretary of Defense, recommended that "the US Government should vigorously pursue the capabilities called for in the National Space Policy to ensure that the President will have the option to deploy weapons in space to deter threats to and, if necessary, defend against attack on US interests."

Even before the Commission had been established, the US was conducting research and development in anti-satellite weapons, space based earth-strike weapons, and deployment of support systems. In preparation for the deployment of anti-satellite weapons, for example, the US has deployed a Space Surveillance Network which detects, tracks, identifies and catalogs all space objects in case the US finds it "necessary to disrupt, degrade, deny or destroy enemy space capabilities in future conflicts"

The US Space Command's plans for the development of space-based and space directed weapons are laid out in its 1998 Long Range Plan. The integrated system of surveillance, navigation, communication, and attack capabilities are being developed in order to "protect military and commercial national interests and investment in space," and "to deny others the use of space, if required."

I think that last paragraph is what bothers the Russians.

[edit on 21-8-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
It's only a matter of time before space becomes militarized. Technology is advancing far to fast to keep that from happening. If the USA doesn't do it then Russia or China will.

Like any new frontier, if you hope to claim it as your own you better damn well be able to back that up with force. It's really simple, as our technology continues to grow who ever controls space will control the entire planet.

Every military stategist knows that as well.

Star wars, soon to play out in a night sky near you. Stock up on popcorn my friends.

Wupy

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
It is sad that so many pre-puberty, at least mentality wise, keep tryoing to big themself's up. If humanity is to succeed then sooner or later the military complex must be disolved. Those that worry about such things, are like the dinosuers and when one wonders why violence keeps popping up look no further than these troglidytes.

They really should take up a sport that lets them get out that agression, but something tells me they wouldn't think it is so fun when it is them having to actually look someone else in the eye.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
What do the russians have to worry about? The missile defense systems in the United States are about as acurate as a blind man with a gun.

www.cbsnews.com...

etc

Well if you're really comparing the two then one must note that a blind with a gun is quite dangerous!!

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I can see FOBS going back into space - and then we`ll see how *poor* and *lacking resources* the russians are

With moves like this (and Bush pulling out of the ABM treaty) , the cold war can only be reignited after peace broke out.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
didnt the U.S. Air Force just sent a satellite that can jammed or disrupt a satellite? i dont know wen but it wasnt long time ago.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I like it when the russias play tough, too bad they can't invade the US mainland.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
In today’s world if you can deny your enemy entry and or use of space then you will win the war. If they can use space then all of their communications and monitoring systems are shut down, they will be fighting a war in the dark. No to mention that in space you have a place where you can fire down on a target and they cant even attack or stop that weapons system in space, if you control space.

This is why controlling space is so appealing to military commanders.

[edit on 22-8-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I think Russia is still a powerful state, not as much as the US, but it has allot of influence over India and China too and other countries. I think that should also be considered as well. I think overall, any Country that tries to put weapons in space is asking for trouble. That would definitely set off a world war, regardless of which country try to do it first.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Great,

We will reach the stars, just with nukes and missiles at the ready.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
In the end, we are going to destroy ourselves into pieces. When? I can't tell you. But I know sooner than later, everyone on earth will suffer from World War 3. Wars don't end other wars, but continue it. It's funny how we can't share anything in this world, and we end up killing each other off.

[edit on 22-8-2005 by Darth Tinku]

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
In today’s world if you can deny your enemy entry and or use of space then you will win the war. If they can use space then all of their communications and monitoring systems are shut down, they will be fighting a war in the dark. No to mention that in space you have a place where you can fire down on a target and they cant even attack or stop that weapons system in space, if you control space.

This is why controlling space is so appealing to military commanders.

[edit on 22-8-2005 by WestPoint23]

Great thinking - i`ll be watching for the FOBS launches then , as that system is ready to go

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Greetings,

This is one of the more interesting aspects of the age of modern warfare, as we are becoming more and more dependant on technology for every thing from Mission Planning to Communcations, the Satellites that allow us to use GPS and our long distance commucations gear is for lack of a better word, defenceless.

One of the reasons for the appeal of weapons in space, is that if some one wished to attack one of the US GPS systems, or Recon Satellites, it would be next to impossible to successfully intercept the projectile while still on earth, the simple fact, is that newton is against you. If you happen to be above the incoming projectile in space, newton is working with you, rather than against you.

As it has already been mentioned by westpoint, the ability to have space based weaponary means that it could be used as a first strike weapon, as there would be no launch warnings, no time to evade or escape from the space based weaponary.

The reason there was a treaty signed is simple. Both sides want them but neither side is willing to let the other side have them, its that simple. It was the same as the issues arrising from the mobile ballistic missile launchers, they where next to imposible to track and target and so neither sides durning the cold war wanted the other side to have these tricky targets. With space based weapons, sure enough they could be used as defensive weapons, but as I have said time and time again, any defensive weapon can be used as an offensive weapon.

My opinion is that while there is a niche for space based defense's, if the US choose to once again break an international treaty, it could lead to either a weapon race with either Russia or China and possible conflict.

While I am sure to hear, Russia isn't a Threat or that China is less developed etc, you are living in a land of make believe. The Russians where the first to develop ASAT technology for use against the americans during the cold war, its not hard.

- Phil

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join