It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Warning: Bird Flu May Spread to Britain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
There is a chance that migratory birds will carry the bird flu virus into Britain this winter. The virus is spreading westwards and experts believe it will soon enter Europe. Health officials are alarmed as nearly 9 million migratory ducks and waders emigrate from Siberia to Europe every year. From these, 850,000 arrive in the UK.

news.independent.co.uk

The potentially lethal avian flu virus, H5N1, is now spreading westwards after health experts in Siberia and Kazakhstan discovered outbreaks of the virus in birds that will soon enter Europe. Yesterday, as the total number of confirmed cases in Russia hit 40, the authorities revealed the first suspected case of the virus at a commercial chicken farm in the western Siberian region of Omsk. Another 78 villages have suspected cases.

The disclosure is likely to force European governments to step up control measures. The Dutch authorities have already ordered all poultry farmers to bring their chickens indoors from tomorrow, and the German government announced on Friday it would order all its poultry farmers to follow suit next month if the virus spread.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Experts believe there is a slim chance it will spread to humans, but the UK is taking precautionary measures just in case. It is worrying as most major cities are already so overpopulated that a viral outbreak can mean serious trouble. The most worrying paragraph was the last one which said officials were preparing for a major global pandemic in a few years that would wipe out millions of people, thousands in the UK alone.

[edit on 21-8-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Am I evil or shouldnt we be considering killing all the migratory bids to stop what has the potential to kill hundreds of millions? We could capture a few hundred of each species of these birds and quarantine them. Then slaughter the rest of them so that that when the outbreak does occur it wont be as widespread. Then when the danger has passed we can release the qurantined birds.

Why is this option not being considered?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Okay, so from there where will it spread? Honestly, as long as birds migrate, doesn't this eventually mean worldwide, just a matter of time?

As for suggesting all migratory birds be killed to contain it, without discussing the ramifications of such a suggestion, I would think this would be impossible.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
As a footnote, I found it extremely timely that either CNN or MSNBC had a special report this past week on the 1918 Spanish flu outbreak and how it was the deadliest plague in human history.

Yeah - thanks for starting to cover the potential situation here. lol

I'll see if I can find a link to that and edit it in here.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
No, but thanks for that link. Here it is. It's a video.

search.cnn.com...

Go about halfway down the page on the right hand side in the green box. It's entitled "Deadliest plague in history".

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Scary stuff. I am trying to find other links about this so called global pandemic that may be striking soon. Guess they are not saying anything in case we all panic?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:43 AM
link   
How is it impossible to kill all of these migratory birds that are known to be carrying bird flu in Siberia? We know where they are, they cant retaliate, how is it impossible?

If our military can wipe out armies im sure they can take out these birds. I'd go so far as to class this is a matter of national security. Millions are going die if we let these birds live.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Being paranoid here but wouldn't that put out a good chunk of populace? More room for everyone else right?
Perhaps the rush to vaccinate against the flu will turn chaotic if there is insufficient to go around.

If this is 'global' it affects all of us and maybe we should turn our attention on things we can do together or is that a wee bit ideal?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Do we know if every bird carries this flu ?

If not how can we kill the birds that are carrying this flu whilst leaving the unaffected birds alone ?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Okie - found scary link right here.

www.newstarget.com... - Russian perdict Global Pandemic
news.bbc.co.uk... - Bird Flu Pandemic is Stoppable
news.bbc.co.uk... - Flu spread quicker than thought
news.bbc.co.uk... - Russians plan bird flu slaugher

First one under google will go and find more... this MAY be linked to a form of bird flu btw so not something to be easily dismissed.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mindwalker
Do we know if every bird carries this flu ?

If not how can we kill the birds that are carrying this flu whilst leaving the unaffected birds alone ?

Does it matter? If we kill them all then there is no way they can infect our population with bird flu and kill millions. These arent people and im damn sure I dont mind killing disease free birds along with the infected.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Subz

The Russians started to kill their birds : news.bbc.co.uk...

Thing is if you kill all birds wouldn't that cause other problems?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I dunno about migrating birds. more like the influx of unwanted immigrants slipping through the shambles of our border controls that will bring it into the UK.

Its about time we sealed our borders right off, we got troops use em.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by nikelbee
Subz

The Russians started to kill their birds : news.bbc.co.uk...

About time! Im glad they are taking the initiative here.

Originally posted by nikelbee
Thing is if you kill all birds wouldn't that cause other problems?

Thats why I said they should capture a hundred or so and quarantine them. That way you can rebuild the population after you obliterate all the other infected.

Put it this way, if these infected birds migrate across the globe then they devesate other bird populations. Isnt the death rate from infection for birds around the 90% mark?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
damn imigration birds

probly get people complaing before hand about killing the birds, then complaing after when they're dying and carn't get any free treatment

[edit on 21-8-2005 by Crash]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
So what are you implying? That we should set-up border patrol in the skies to stop the influx of foreign birds migrating to Europe? Oh when will the hatred and racism end people! When?!

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Actually i think this is a case of Specis'ism

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
So we start killing birds..................when do we stop the killing ?

What happens if the flu manages to jump to say dogs........do we kill all the dogs ?

And if , god forbid, humans start passing on the bird flu.............do we start killing them too ?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

So we start killing birds..................when do we stop the killing ?

Infected birds have been identified in Siberia. Up to this point they are on the ground and not in the air. Where do we stop the killing? Well I suggest we dont "start" the killing until we've identified infected birds amongst certain populations so this isnt exactly indescriminate killing of birds.

And when they do start to migrate we can track their flock's with radar and shoot them down with flak for all I care. They cannot be allowed to spread that disease. Im sorry but I am an animal lover but I feel my loyalty lies to my own family and relatives, not birds. This flu will end up killing atleast a few of everyones families, that is a statistical fact.

What happens if the flu manages to jump to say dogs........do we kill all the dogs ?

Yes kill the dogs! I dont think you appreciate the gravity of this illness. This bird flu has the potential to kill over one billion people worldwide. This is not a trivial matter, it is going to cause the biggest loss of human life we've EVER seen.

And if , god forbid, humans start passing on the bird flu.............do we start killing them too ?

Quarantine is the best option here. We can justify spending money and medicine on treating humans, we cant on birds and other animals.

[edit on 21/8/05 by subz]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join