It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Army Planning for 4 More Years in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Yesterday [Saturday the 20th of August] Gen. Peter Schoomaker said that the Army is planning to be in Iraq for at least the next four years - going beyond the President's Second and Final Term in Office and into the next Presidents.

During this period it is likely that the numbers will be kept well over 100,000 but it could be adjusted depending on troop rotation or tour length.

news.yahoo.com
In an Associated Press interview, Gen. Peter Schoomaker said the Army is prepared for the "worst case" in terms of the required level of troops in Iraq. He said the number could be adjusted lower if called for by slowing the force rotation or by shortening tours for soldiers.

Schoomaker said commanders in Iraq and others who are in the chain of command will decide how many troops will be needed next year and beyond. His responsibility is to provide them, trained and equipped

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I myself am a little worried about this News, so far there have been nearly 2000 deaths in Iraq and I see this only going up the longer American troops stay in Iraq. I do hope that it will end within the next four years but as the article says; it all depends on how quickly the Iraqi forces move along and the Government.

Let's all hope Iraqi can be finished with as soon as possible no matter if you were Pro or Anti-War.

[edit on 21/8/2005 by Odium]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Whoops... You must have beat me by a few minutes. This doesn't look good at all. Especially for those enlisted in the military.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Why doesnt it look good for those enlisted? Is serving for duty not what you sign up for?

Dont expect to pick flowers and stick them in barrels.

These people fully know what they are getting into.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I know that. My father is a Warrant Officer. Some soldiers I know personally, and others that I have just talked to liked it over there, and would like to go back. But the majority of the ones I have talked to hated it for many reasons, a big one being highly stressful. They don't want to go back anytime soon, but with the looks of this, they will all have another go there. At one point, our base of Ft. Carson had the most casualties in the war, so we have a lot of people going. This also means that my father will be going. In the last 3 years, my father has been home for 9 months or so.

I am speaking of the soilders that have found Iraq a living hell. I didn't mean to generalize it as if I were speaking of all soldiers.

[edit on 21-8-2005 by DarkHelmet]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Yeah, my son is returning for his 2nd tour of duty as well. I'm a little concerned at the slow pace of drafting the Iraqi constitution. There seems to be more factionalism than I thought, which doesn't bode well for an early return of the troops.

[edit on 21-8-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The US will be in Iraq longer than '4 more years'. Consider that its still in the balkans.

top topics

join