It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scotland Yard Foil Al Qaeda Gas Attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Scotland Yard has apparently thwarted an Al Qaeda attack. The House of Commons and the Tube was among the targets. A gas or chemical "dirty bomb" attack was involved in the thwarted plot.

TimesOnline: Police foil gas attack on Commons

August 21

SCOTLAND YARD believes it has thwarted an Al-Qaeda gas attack aimed at ministers and MPs in parliament. The plot, hatched last year, is understood to have been discovered in coded e-mails on computers seized from terror suspects in Britain and Pakistan.

Police and MI5 then identified an Al-Qaeda cell that had carried out extensive research and video-recorded reconnaissance missions in preparation for the attack.

This weekend a senior officer disclosed that the thwarted plot mentioned in the document involved a gas or chemical “dirty bomb” attack against parliament. “The House of Commons was one of their targets as well as the Tube,” he said.

“They were planning to use chemicals, a dirty bomb and sarin gas. They looked at all sorts of ways of delivering it.”

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A chemical "dirty bomb"!?
Imagine if they succeeded in delivering such attack...

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
That's interesting because last week I posted a thread on a jihadist website forum member advocating the US of a chemical attack on the Washinton Metro system.

They could be moving forward with these types of attacks now.

Jihadist Advocates Chemical Weapon Attack on Washington Metro Subway System]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
That's an interesting article, it doesn't actually confirm anything other than they have thwarted a suspicion??

"SCOTLAND YARD believes it has thwarted an Al-Qaeda gas attack aimed at ministers and MPs in parliament."

So it's not sure, but they reckon they might have. One word changes a sentance quite a bit.

Then..

"Police and MI5 then identified an Al-Qaeda cell that had carried out extensive research and video-recorded reconnaissance missions in preparation for the attack."

That would be the first al-Qaeda cell to ever be identified if that statement is true. The only other al-Qaeda cell that was identified was proven to be Mossad trying to create a fake al-Qaeda presence in Palestine. The real terrorist groups don't use the name al-Qaeda because it's a neon sign over their heads.

Anyway, that just read very wrong to me. Seems more like promotion of the boogyman threat than an actual bust. The chemical, bio attack talk has been building up and i've always thought that would be the next US attack.

Interesting article.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I am highly dubious of this for a few conspiratorial reasons. First of all, the recent hoopla surrounding the shooting of innocent man Charles Menenez, seems to have captured the UK media and public attention. And not in a good way. Could this be a way of taking the uncomfortable spotlight away from these enquiries and shifting it over to where everyone is back to feeling that old familiar terror?

Charles Clarke last week made all the papers by saying in a very 'Poltergeist' way that he 'felt something bad was going to happen.' No proof, just a feeling. This was echoed by Sir Ian Blair.

Today Clarke backs up Ian saying, 'Look you did a good job. I support you 100%. I am (direct quote now) VERY HAPPY with how you have acted in this manner Ian Blair. Now back to this terror business.'

[edit on 20-8-2005 by nikelbee]

new topics

top topics

join