It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I Respect Ms. Sheehan More and More

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Source

The media are wrong. The people who have come out to Camp Casey to help coordinate the press and events with me are not putting words in my mouth, they are taking words out of my mouth. I have been known for sometime as a person who speaks the truth and speaks it strongly. I have always called a liar a liar and a hypocrite a hypocrite. Now I am urged to use softer language to appeal to a wider audience.

I got an email the other day and it said, "Cindy if you didn't use so much profanity ... there's people on the fence that get offended.

And you know what I said? "You know what? You know what, god damn it? How in the world is anybody still sitting on that fence?

If you fall on the side that is pro-George and pro-war, you get your ass over to Iraq, and take the place of somebody who wants to come home. And if you fall on the side that is against this war and against George Bush, stand up and speak out.

I have a place in my heart for anyone who speaks their mind without regard to who might be offended or who might turn against them. This is a woman after my own heart. Seriously.

When I met my spouse, the first thing I fell in love with was the strength of conviction that they displayed. This woman shows that same spirit, the same self-confidence in her beliefs, in the face of an ill mother and a deserting husband! I applaud you, Cindy Sheehan! Way To Go!

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I agree with you. I applaud her strong convictions.

I dont see how anyone could be sitting on the fence either. C'est la vie.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Sheehan represents an extremely weak charater and a lack of conviction. She blames everyone for her own problems. The Army is volunteer. Her son was over 18, the legal consenting age of an adult. Her son died defending his nation. The fact that she claims the "right" to speak to the President for a SECOND time when hundreds of other families of killed soilders never get such an honor is selfish and extremely childish.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I am sorry the woman lost her son as has many people with loved ones in the military. I see no problem with her leading a peaceful anti war demonstration but to demand another meeting simply because of her loss is not reality. She is giving the appearance of being there only for herself vs for other griving families. Perhaps she will stay active in anti war demonstrations and get involved politically to help change the future. The military is not mandatory (at least yet) thus when you join, you know what you are getting in to. Sad but true.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I just feel sorry for her.

She has lost her son, husband and now maybe her mother. She is being used by the far left and demonized by the far right. She is hurt and confused.

My heart goes out to her.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by anniejhops
She is giving the appearance of being there only for herself vs for other griving families.

I don't where you get that impression. I don't think she's giving that appearance at all. She is there for all moms, all daughters, all wives and husbands who have loved ones in Iraq. She has said so. She's there for me! She's there for everyone who wants the war to be ended. It's true that this isn't about her son anymore, it's about ending the war. It's her statement.

The whole purpose of protesting something is to get attention. Going to Crawford is what has gotten the attention. All the protesters who just carry signs in their home towns are being ignored. She's speaking and acting for all of them.

I agree with you about Casey's service. He chose to go. And she's choosing to protest the war her son died in. It's 2 separate issues. If she sat on her lawn with a sign it wouldn't have nearly the impact she's having. She's an intelligent woman and she knows that she had to get the president's and the country's and the media's attention and that's what she's doing.

I understand some people don't support her and that's fine, but I really do. I think she's brave and fearless.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
She is being used by the far left and demonized by the far right.

Amuk, it's pretty clear (to me at least) how the far right is attempting to demonize her, but can you share your indications that she is being used? This is being claimed by a lot of people and I'm not sure what their reasoning is.

- She says she isn't being used. (of course, who would?)
- She (and her husband) became politically active of their own accord, after Casey's death.
- The press was not even aware of her existence untill she, with a few other families, founded Gold Star Families for Peace
- She has appeared (to me, anyway) to have hit the ground running and been the force behind which the press (and left) are following.

I have known a few strong women in my life and although I'm sure she would appreciate your compassion, I'm not at all sure she would want any sympathy.
I think if she was weak or confused, she would have broken down by now. But on she goes, like some kind of warrior. Like some kind of "Soldier of Grace"

[edit on 20-8-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Aug, 30 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
she was anit war before hand and now that her son has died she's using his death to advance her own position. Honestly he should be rolling in his grave for what he's doing. as a United States Marine, i've already forbade my parents from EVER doing that. They know my wishes, i dont care where they stand on the war if i were to parish doing what i believe in i want them to stand behind me. And i know they would.

As an american soldier i believe in this war, and what it stands for, And i believe that if you dont support this war then you dont support my belief, and you dont support ME. or any other soldiers out there. and the worst thing i could possibly imagine are my own parents turning against what i belive in with all my heart. She is spitting in her own sons face in her own rightiousness, She should be ashamed of herself. I know i would be if i was her son.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I am sorry for her sons loss, but what many people do not know is that she did meet with the president right after her son died. Now she wants to meet again to discuss the war. The president has met with nearly a thousand families who have had loved ones die in the war. He choses not to have the media present at any of the meetings because it is a private time for the families. Ms. Sheehan has all the right in the world to do what she is doing. I don't agree with her or how she is going about it. Get the media out then I bet Bush would be more willing to sit down with her AGAIN.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by umwolves123
she was anit war before hand and now that her son has died she's using his death to advance her own position.

She was not interested in being politically active until after she made the discoveries of the deceptions that took us into war. It was not her son's death that made her become active, it's what she learned after he died.

As an american soldier i believe in this war, and what it stands for, And i believe that if you dont support this war then you dont support my belief, and you dont support ME. or any other soldiers out there.

You have confused disagreement with disloyalty, as many people do. What you're saying here is that I must agree with someone to support them and that's simply not true. To disagree with another person but support them in what they want, just because you care about them is a very noble thing to do. Maybe you cannot do it, but I certainly can. And I do. Just because non-support of the war means non-support of the troops to you, don't assume everyone lacks the ability and heart to do so.

If your son was going to marry someone you didn't like, but you could see it was going to make him happy, could you not support him, even though you didn't support what he was doing?

Originally posted by Timcouchfanclub
... what many people do not know is that she did meet with the president right after her son died.

Everybody knows that. At least everyone on this site does.

[edit on 31-8-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
As an American woman I am very proud of Mrs. Sheehan, she has done what many are afraid to do, tell our government in power to take some resposibility for its actions and what is doing to families in the US.

She is one of a kind.

new topics

top topics

join