It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Churchs Shortcomings Over Time Admitted By Pope

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Pope Benedict XVI has admitted at an address to 3/4 of a million people attending the World Youth Day festival in Germany that there is 'much that could be criticised" within the catholic church. He had earlier told his audience at the candlight vigil that "true revolution" to change the world only comes from "God". Before attending the candlit vigil he addressed muslim leaders and told then they had a duty to defeat terrorism.

www.abc.net.au
The 78-year-old Pope, who is on the penultimate day of his first foreign visit as pontiff, earlier told the huge candelit vigil that "true revolution" to change the world comes "only from God".

"Only from the saints, only from God does true revolution come, the definitive way to change the world."

"Terrorism of any kind is a perverse and cruel decision which shows contempt for the sacred right to life and undermines the very foundations of all civil society," he said.

"I am certain that I echo your own thoughts when I bring up as one of our concerns the spread of terrorism," he said.

"Terrorist activity is continually recurring in various parts of the world, sowing death and destruction, and plunging many of our brothers and sisters into grief and despair.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The pope also predicted the world would be exposed to barbarism unless religions worked together to combat terrorism. I find that is the pot calling the kettle black. Personally I believe religion to be responsible for most of the atrocities carried out over time.

If there was no religion there would be no Jihad, no inquisition and no crusades. It is too late to change the past but now the world is living with the reactions of those actions. The world today is what has been made from history and history shows the vatican has been right in the middle and forefront of most of these "evils".

"Those who instigate and plan these attacks evidently wish to poison our relations, making use of all means, including religion, to oppose every attempt to build a peaceful, fair and serene life together."

Now that comment I find ironic as the catholic church over time has done exactly what they are accusing others of doing. This is just the fallout of many of the churches actions. How many races were bloodily conquered in the name of the church, how many groups were decimated for their beliefs by the same church? he may wear white but his gown is stained red with the blood of those who lost their lives to the church over time.

[edit on 20-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
no, human greed, lust for power and desire for others to think what one group thinks causes all this, religion, glory and all that are just excuses for these things.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I would at this point like to draw readers attention to the thread entitled how to vote and when to vote for bias

Bias Button

Use this button to vote no, and send the author an anonymous message that you think the introduction section (first paragraph) is too biased for ATSNN.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am supposed to put my opinion in the section under the quoted news link. I have followed the rules. Just because you do not agree with my comments, (which are not written in the first paragraph) there is no need to Mis-vote or vote incorrectly to get a story stifled from ATSNN.

That little post reply button has been put there for you to share your views and have your say if you agree or disagree.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Agreed that the church has done some nasty things in the past, but I prefer to see this as an olive branch. A sign that things are changing and ti is about time too.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Passer By
Agreed that the church has done some nasty things in the past, but I prefer to see this as an olive branch.

I don't see how it can be an olive branch. It's an obligatory remark by a new Pope that mirrors more or less what is propagated by mainstream media. And why not......the popular Catholic religion can be considered mainstream in much of the world. The issues with the church remain unacknowledged and will continue to be treated in such a fashion.....evidentily.

This Pope is playing it safe and has unfortunately justified the propaganda of it's political counterparts merely by repetition and use of it's percieved authority. Nothing new. Nothing groundbreaking. Nothing of substance. Is this how we are to be encouraged to make rational decisions......by taking someone else's word for it? No thank you.....

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Hopefully this does signify change. Not just the catholic church but all churches and religions should be redefining their doctrines and taking a good hard look at the past in order to move forward into the future.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The Church is also a business and in business you have good and bad players. You also have bad business decisions. Admitting that change is needed is the first step to improving anything and hopefully some action will follow the words. Blaming religion for the thoughts and acts of mankind is an excuse. If there were no religion, humans would still find a way to destroy each other, it just comes natural to us.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
It's an obligatory remark by a new Pope that mirrors
more or less what is propagated by mainstream media.

Obligatory? Since when does the Catholic Church and/or the
Pope have anything that it is OBLIGED to say? Never. The pope
and/or the Church says what it wants, when it wants. There was
absolutely no obligation for this pope to say what he did.
There was no obligation for the last pope, John Paul II, to
say much the same and to ask the world for forgiveness for
sins committed in the name of the church.

Show me how this pope, or the last one, was OBLIGED by
anything human to apologize to the world for errors the
Church has made. It was completely good faith.

If PJPII and Benedict hadn't apologized for errors, then
people would still be upset and they'd claim that the church
was blind to truth and to the errors made by the church.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

the popular Catholic religion

There are 1 billion Catholics on this planet, but I don't believe
the religion is 'popular'. If anything, it is hated by those who
don't understand it.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Obligatory? Since when does the Catholic Church and/or the
Pope have anything that it is OBLIGED to say? Never.

I disagree. Authority by association.

You said it yourself when you stated that some 1 billion people worldwide hold to the faith, or more probably, declare themselves as associated. That is a huge responsibility when you look a bit beyond the day to day happenings of world events. It is a grouping of people that take everything said by the papacy as a beacon of truth, or as the definitive word on current events, spiritual or political in nature. Most of these people tend to not have any technical knowledge or interest whatsoever (as evidenced by the social and professional hierarchy) and as such tend to accept the easy answer proclaimed by an established authority.

The fact that the Catholic Church is a spiritual entity is ia mportant when you consider the nature of our reality. The threat of terrorism has manifested itself physically in the hearts of many developed nations and the social reaction is that of unease. Factor in the loss of credibility suffered by the current political leaders and you have a population that is more or less driven by routine, rather than any belief in the system or the associated leaders. Who do you turn to when your leaders appear from more than one angle to be deceptive? The other party? Probably not, since the past democratic administration has come upon just as harsh scrutiny with regards to previous awareness and possible preventative measures....

So the papcy has the ears of some 1 billion people; more if you realistically view the papacy as a global authority, which many people will pay heed.

Originally posted by Flyersfan
The pope and/or the Church says what it wants, when it wants.

And I suppose that the upper tier of the Catholic Church doesn't give any credence to the reality of it's followers? Not a single thought is considered with regards to the reaction of what their words will invoke?.....That would be irresponsible of them. You don't keep a billion followers without considering the how's and why's of your dealings with them....Make no mistake, the church has to listen to it's followers....conservative policys have this as their credo....

There was absolutely no obligation for this pope to say what he did.
There was no obligation for the last pope, John Paul II, to
say much the same and to ask the world for forgiveness for
sins committed in the name of the church.

And I suppose as well that 1 billion people would have accepted any type of direct response to the terrorist reality in light of the past stigma Catholics have had with the Muslim world? The word hypocrisy would have filtered many a circle had the papacy not made any kind of concession towards it's own past. The religious aspect of jihad has topped the board in many a discussion regarding the current situation with corrolations being drawn to the past behaviour of the Catholic Church.....

Show me how this pope, or the last one, was OBLIGED by
anything human to apologize to the world for errors the
Church has made. It was completely good faith.

Good faith? Rather, if the Pope desired for his words to carry any meaning and impact, he had to make the above concession......it was a safe acknowledgemnet that allowed for him to carry on with what his message was on about, the terrorist threat and the assuagement by association to an established authority....

the popular Catholic religion

There are 1 billion Catholics on this planet, but I don't believe
the religion is 'popular'. If anything, it is hated by those who
don't understand it.

Being popular doesn't preclude the emotional reaction of hate or love. It means well known. 1 billion poeple is 'well known.'

join