It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you have nothing to say, then don't speak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The majority of people that I've met in my lifetime all seem to share one very annoying quality: Talking for the sake of filling up space between conversations, about nothing of the least bit importance or relevance. It seems like we're just socially conditioned to just blabber on, all to avoid that dreadful 'awkward silence'.

"Oh my God, awkward silence!" people seem compelled to yell out whenever a pause occurs in a conversation, as if I have committed a social atrocity or something. Gee, thanks, now I have the choice of either succumbing to your mindnumbing 'conversations', or being rude and explaining why it is that I don't feel the need to talk at this moment. I'm not speaking of simply shooting the breeze, but more like asking questions you already know the answer to, or starting a conversation that you know will take some time to run its course, just to avoid that terrible awkwardness for a bit longer.

Personally, my phone conversations last for an average of 1-2 minutes, and I'm usually concise when talking in person (although I can be a bit long winded on these forums
). Don't take this to mean that I think it's wrong to talk to a person about a vacation, a deceased loved one, or a problem they're going through. That's fine, I'm just pointing out that I don't need 3 hours to get a simple point across. I don't believe in any awkward silence and have no problems whatsoever walking down the street with someone by my side, not uttering a single sentence. Why can't some people just enjoy the company of others without a spoken word? And why is it that something has to be 'wrong' with me every time I decide to be silent? This is just something that's been on my mind for awhile now. Maybe some of you have had similar experiences with this or know what I'm talking about. I'm just tired of always having to explain myself and tell people that its 'OK' to just drive or walk without speaking, or listen to others babble on about nonsense.

I should also include in my rant how annoying it is that your message gets erased whenever you go back a page too
. I lost my entire rant just now, and had to type this watered down one after it stole my fire!

[edit on 20-8-2005 by zhangmaster]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
That's called a being an American. "You Americans, You Talk and Talk and Talk and will not shut-up!" - Grim Reaper from a monty python movie.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
hahaha, seeing as how I've never been out of America for a long period of time, it's no wonder I have this kind of view.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by zhangmaster
hahaha, seeing as how I've never been out of America for a long period of time, it's no wonder I have this kind of view.

So..eh...that's an interesting name you got there... Yep.... Zhangmaster. Chinese I assume... Mmhmm... *Rocks back and forth in his chair*. So..so you like this site? Yeah...it's pretty cool. mmm hm...

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Actually, I'm not Chinese at all! The name Zhang translates literally into "palm" and comes from my school of martial art Ba Gua Zhang. The Symbol is the Ba Gua with a yin/yang sign because, well, it looked cool in my opinion
. The Chinese letters come right from the motto of the school. I don't have the slightest bit of artistic ability unlike JAK, and had to settle for something drawn up in MS paint.

[edit on 20-8-2005 by zhangmaster]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Godzilla1985
That's called a being an American. "You Americans, You Talk and Talk and Talk and will not shut-up!" - Grim Reaper from a monty python movie.

Some Europeans (especially Dutch people!!) have it just as bad.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Douglas Adams explained it.

If we stop talking for too long our brains start working.

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
"A five dollar shake? What...do they put bourbon in it?"

posted on Aug, 27 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
Douglas Adams explained it.

If we stop talking for too long our brains start working.

Or how about, "If you spend too much time listening to music, people will stop listening to you".

top topics

join