It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Pilots break two world records at MAKS 2005

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
ZHUKOVSKY (Moscow region), August 19 (RIA Novosti) -

Russian pilots flying Su-27P planes have broken two world air speed records at the MAKS-2005 air show.

Test pilot Alexander Pavlov established a new record of speed on the closed route, subclass C-1-i (overland planes with a take-off weight of 16-20 tons).
"On a 100-kilometer route the speed of 1510 km/h was achieved," Pavlov said.

According to the Russian pilot, the previous record, 1264.47 km/h, was established in September 1995 by R. Vandam in a McDonnel RF-4C plane.

Distinguished test pilot Anatoly Kvochur established a new record of speed on the closed route, subclass C-1-j (overland planes with a take-off weight of 20-25 tons).
"On a 1000-kilometer route the speed of 1644 km/h was achieved," Kvochur said.

The previous record, 993.16 km/h, was established in September 1995 by C. Henson in a McDonnel RF-4C plane.

Russian pilots broke both records on Wednesday, August 17, Pavlov said.

According to Director of the State Pilot-Research Center Dmitry Shulepov, the pilots achieved record speeds through optimizing flight patterns using onboard computers.

The Gromov Flight Research Institute, the State Pilot-research Center, and the Sukhoi Design Bureau participated in preparing for the record-breaking flights
Source : en.rian.ru...

......................................"The Russians are Coming"

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Congrats Russians, still masters in the air.

So I take the airshow when great?

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Congratulations to the Russians. It's good to know they're still kicking arse in the air.

Now if only this would prompt another competitive spirit between Russia and the US. Aerospace advanced so far during the cold war by having a rival.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Me thinks this will stand less then a year...

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Thank you brother.for all your good wishes
..I too think its long time to start an educated competition between Russia Europe and US (though the Europeans has a long way to go) until now since 1990 mankind haven’t made much progress ...Russia had been stuck with internal problems and lack of funds while the US has degraded herself by fighting with inferior powers like Iraq Afghanistan China etc ....I think that its time now for technological advancement

Russia has now got funds it need ...she has to improve her management....stop corruption ...and effectively use the Funds she has

while I think the US has to stop wasting millions of $$ fighting with inferiors like China Iraq etc and look for some sort of real educated competition with real giants like Russia ,Europe etc

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Exactly. The F-22 would have been operational in what, 1995 if we still have a real air rival. And figure if the Soviet Union were still around, or Russia still an acknowledged rival, we'd have hundreds of F-22's!

Personally I hope Russia makes a comeback and becomes our rival. We both accomplished so much when we were competing against eachother. The space race, mass nuclear arsenals, bomb shelters, rapidly advancing avionic's technology, the army reaching recruiment quotas, etc. The cold war's competition did wonders for the country. What happened to the good old days when we were prepared for anything? I want a bomb shelter.

top topics

join