It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good things that are happening in Iraq

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Okay this thread, is going to be a thread full of good news about whats happening in Iraq.

Okay here it the first report.

WASHINGTON, Aug. 19, 2005 – With elections on the horizon, Iraqi security forces in Iraq's northwest provinces are continuing to grow in ability and confidence, a senior commander in Iraq said today. Gains also are being made despite the insurgents' ongoing attempts to accomplish their objective of "destroying the Iraqi nation and the people," he said. Since the election held in January, for example, 62 mid- to high-level terrorist leaders have been captured or killed in Nineveh province alone, including 44 since early May.

"All this (came about) through the combined work of Iraqi and coalition forces," he said. "And several key leaders have been eliminated from the ranks of the insurgency as the result of independent Iraqi operations."

Provincial police patrolling the streets is bolstering the Iraqi people's confidence to assist in fighting the insurgency, Rodriguez said. To bolster the training and readiness of the provincial police, the Ministry of Interior will open an accredited police academy in Mosul within 30 days, he added.

Also, Nineveh continues to expand its undertaking of reconstruction programs, including healthcare facility renovation, new sewers, increased electrical distribution and improved schools and roads -- all to meet people's basic needs. The province is also involved in planning for economic growth.
source

Wow this is very good, dosen't that just make you feel good. We have the oportunity to see a new democracy form, and we are helping it! I'm so excited! Any comments?

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

All we hear is the bad news. Kudos to you for looking at the good things.

I read a report about the human rights violations of Saddam Hussein's empire put out by the British ... it was really really horrible. They would kill athletes that lost matches in the olympics. They would cane the feet of the members of the Iraqi soccer team for losing matches, and then put them in infected water for them to become grossly disfigured, and never be able to play again. They would kill doctors by beheading in front of their own families for speaking out about the unsanitary conditions in Iraqi hospitals.

None of this was reported in the news media. Probably for fear of the reporter's lives as well!

Compared to the level of atrocities of SH's rule over the last 30 years what we are seeing right now, is indeed horrible but not nearly as bad as it was ... putting to death a million kurdish people just because they have a different ethnic background?!

Many good things are coming about ... the Iraqi government is learning to compromise! This is fantastic.

The most difficult aspect of bringing a third-world nation into a modern democracy is how to handle disagreements due to ethnic backgrounds.

What we are seeing is productive debate right now in their constitution! We are seeing Sunnis and Shiites that were previously arch enemies working together to find acceptable clauses that they can both live with.

Ethnic tribes that historically have been at war with themselves, are learning to accept their differences and work together for a common goal.

This is a process that is slow, think of how long it took our country to come together in the colonial phase.

It is true that the rebuilding of Iraq was not adequately planned or financed, however, now that it is in progress, we really MUST look for good news in spite of the lingering attacks and bad events. We cannot ignore the bad news, but we must consider the good news as well.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
FORWARD OPERATING BASE SPEICHER, Iraq, Aug. 19, 2005 – The coalition turnover of the security mission to Iraqi forces is proceeding apace in the area around Saddam's hometown, said the coalition commander in the area.
Army Maj. Gen. Joseph Taluto, commander of the 42nd Infantry Division and Multinational Division North Central, said that Iraqi security forces are picking up the missions in his region and they are able to take the fight to the insurgents.We have turned over or closed nine forward operating bases (to Iraqi forces)," Taluto said in an interview Aug. 17. "We will soon turn over the palace that has served as our headquarters." The palace on the Tigris River in Tikrit has served as the headquarters for the region since the 4th Infantry Division first went in to the country in the initial liberation.
Training of the Iraqi units is going well, the general said, with some outstanding Iraqi battalions emerging in his area. "You can count how many guns you gave (the Iraqi security forces), you can count how many trucks, but there is a 'feel' that you get from these units that is tough to quantify," Taluto said. "I know every Iraqi battalion commander in this area. I know their qualities, and you get a feel about the unit."

There are five Iraqi brigades in the area and their performance is "very solid," Taluto said. He said he is not looking at the situation through rose-colored glasses. Each brigade has its individual problems and those problems are being addressed, he noted.
source

Wow this is very good news! We are starting to turn power over to the Iraqi's, I think soon we will have to send some more money over there! And I think France, Germany, and Russia should contribuite money. Russia talks about setting a timetable to get out, but as far as I know it has not contribuited any money to help that process speed up. I defintly think this is a key time to get support from more countries ,over there, in troops to train them, money, etc.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
That's what I've been saying all along!

I've seen it happen, and watched the joy in the locals eyes as their lives improved day after day. In the Balad area, they are no longer conscripted into the Saddam army under the threat of death to their entire family. Their crops are no longer burned, simply for spite. Their herds are no longer used for target practice, and their canals are no longer shut off just to punish them for made up infractions of Sharia law.

Despite all the made up conspiricies here, and the forever links to BS sites, Iraq is indeed getting better every day.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Nice to see a postive thread for a change on this site, we need more and not just on Iraq. I did find this website that seems to list the good things going on in that country though.

www.kmax.ws...

I am not sure how good it is but it had some interesting reading.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Great job. This is something I've always been saying as well. On the news, tragic and terrible events get far more coverage than good events. Mainly that's because people are drawn to drama. Good idea. I wonder how long it will be before someone disrupts the intention of this thread...

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
So according to you're research: 62 people are either dead or being tortured, the U.S. imperialist reich of Iraq and its government has been filtered from "key leaders" so no opposition can be made, martial law has been imposed in the Iraqi streets, and soon to come to middle-east...McDonalds, Citi Banks and Blockbusters! To an American this sounds great, but why should these people be violated with this ****?

I know you are trying to look on the bright side, but it is hard to stay cheery when you're leaders are invading innocent cultures. Like everyone at first, I believed the U.S. was beneficial in the justification of 9/11. Oh yeah, and than 4 years went by and the original cause of our invasion has been lost. Engineered by the smartest, wealthiest, and most powerful men and women in the world. Welcome to AmeREICHa.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
Great job. This is something I've always been saying as well. On the news, tragic and terrible events get far more coverage than good events. Mainly that's because people are drawn to drama. Good idea.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Great Thread, but I must warn you ahead. It will probably be invaded by the anti's and conspirators with overwhelming false info and pics of dead children.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I have a story from a guy who came out to our house and measured my cabinets (getting new ones in
). Well his oldest son is a marine who was stationed in Iraq. He's served two tours I believe.

Well Tony (the man we hired) gave us a couple of stories about his sons experience. According to the marine, about more than half of the coverage you see is only telling half the story. His son talks about how the iraqis sometimes cheer when US or Coalition troops drive by.

But one story stuck out, it was pretty interesting.

His son and few other guys were driving in a humvee, when they saw a young Iraqi girl who was standing in the middle of the road. They stopped and motioned for her to move; stubborn (?) she stayed right where she was. So the troops got out of their vehicle and circled her, thinking she may be wired or strapped with a bomb. Again the troops tolded her to move, but she just stood their. Finally the young iraqi girl raised her arm and began to point down (right beside her). Cautious the troops closed in and found that she was pointing at a mine (which was in the middle of the road). WHat that young girl did was save those troops by standing the road.

Gotta love the youth.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Here is some extra things......

More people need to learn that things are not as bad as the press makes it out to be.

Tide Turning on al-Qa'eda In Iraq?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Yeah, my uncle was actually the commander of an A-team special forces unit. He just retired recently, and still does some work for the government I believe, but that he doesn't talk about much...hmm... Anyway, he had pictures of crowds of people cheering for him and his team. He had good stories about getting along with the people, etc. But you never hear that kind of stuff on the news.

Nobody wants to hear happy.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This is definitely great news to hear. No matter what the media or the government tells us, there was never any doubt in my mind that Iraq is becoming a better place. While I don't think it'll ever become a "great" place, like France, Spain, or Brazil, I think it'll pull through.

I do admit the cost is a bit too much and we're not doing what exactly we should be doing, though.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsychevolvedApe

I know you are trying to look on the bright side, but it is hard to stay cheery when you're leaders are invading innocent cultures.

People seem to think that US support of dethroning evil dictators is like a new thing or something. Wake up and read your international history books! We've been supporting democratic movements for years. The only thing that could have been done better is to support a democratic movement 30 or 40 years ago in Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq, would have saved alot of lives. It's better that we act now rather than waiting until WWIII happens.

Saddam Hussein's regime was ANYTHING but innocent ...

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Great post

I have heard so many stories from friends serving over there, and they are almost always positive. It is sick that so many people honestly WANT us to fail. Iraq will turn out well. It will take a decade...maybe even two. But these people will be MUCH better off in the long run. They (and we) are making a sacrifice for their kids, and their kids kids.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Here is some extra things......

More people need to learn that things are not as bad as the press makes it out to be.

Tide Turning on al-Qa'eda In Iraq?

I Agree, it is much and much worse

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Don't forget the MASSIVE profits being made by Haliburton, LaFarge, et. al.

That's a good thing, right?

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by scottsquared
Don't forget the MASSIVE profits being made by Haliburton, LaFarge, et. al.

That's a good thing, right?

As a stock holder, I don't have any beef with it

Haliburton got you down?

Become a share holder, and turn that frown upside down

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Honestly, I have stopped caring about the Iraqi people. I think it's pretty obvious the Iraqi people's best interests were not in mind when we invaded Iraq.

However, if by going to war, we can get a good Iraq as a bonus, so be it. And if the president goes to war, we need to back it up. After all, we exchange our right to govern for rights like freedom of speech, etc. That's what makes America America.

Don't take it for granted. It's the best we can get.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Army
That's what I've been saying all along!

I've seen it happen, and watched the joy in the locals eyes as their lives improved day after day. In the Balad area, they are no longer conscripted into the Saddam army under the threat of death to their entire family. Their crops are no longer burned, simply for spite. Their herds are no longer used for target practice, and their canals are no longer shut off just to punish them for made up infractions of Sharia law.

Despite all the made up conspiricies here, and the forever links to BS sites, Iraq is indeed getting better every day.

Your absolutly right, i've seen it as well my friend, only as a marine.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join