It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can someone help with this pls?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
i have a small problem its not causing any great effects (yet) but its been happening for about a month now..
when i goto my internet start up page my homepage is set as google i get a blank page come up with the following: vuhotjmnpkfdjcuuu.com could not be found...
but when i goto check in the internet options my homepage is still set as google, i have tried to change it but the same things happen..
i have run spyware and spybot and although i have found virus ,i delete them but i still get the same message.
i dont know what to do , as ive said it dosent seem to be causing any other effects that i know of
any help appreciated....cheers

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Good Morning Spymaster !

If it were me.......
I would run cwshredder first thing. It sounds like maybe you have the coolwebsearch / about blank vulnerability exploit.

Bring up Taskmanager, and look up any unknown processes on google, and "end task" if they should not be running.

Hijackthis is also a wonderful utility to see everything that is running on your system, and stop them permanently.

Next I would install and run either Micr$oft Antispyware or Counterspy. The advanced tools will let you set your homepage back properly easily.

Clean your cookies, and your temporary internet files.

You could also just edit your registry to the proper setting home page settings, but I doubt that would be advisable just yet.

I will edit this or post again with more info on these after breakfast.

Best of Luck

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
morning mate hope u r ok
cheers for the reply
im off now to find ''highjackthis '' and see if this works, that coolwebsearch has come up alot in the scans on pc i wonder if this has anything to do with it..
spk to you soon
again cheers for ya time mate

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I am wonderful today, thanks for asking! Hope you are too.

Here is more information about my earlier post.

CWshredder is about the only thing that can get rid of Coolwebsearch / about blank exploit. www.intermute.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">BTS CWshredder search

Hijackthis is the greatest thing since Windows 3.1.
It has clear instructions and an online automated tool that will analyze the log for you. BTS hijackthis search

Microsoft Antispyware is a Beta (test) version of their spyware detection/removal tool. In its advanced tool settings you have the ability to change or reset the IE hompage, among other things. Counterspy is almost identical, except it is a 15 day download, and it will scan cookies too.

Here is the Microsoft article about how to edit your registry to fix the homepage in IE

I hope this helps some.

One of these days I will get around to making a consolidated thread with all this common exploit fix links in one place. Or that is what I keep telling myself anyway.

Cheers

[edit on 20-8-2005 by makeitso]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
excellent advise makeitso. you beat me to it. but let me simply add that during what only can be described as the "birth pangs" of the internet (in spite of being around for a relatively brief time), there are still a lot of "bugs" to be worked out (no pun intended). Virus', spyware, hijackers, worms etc. all exist in this technological environment. You have to be prepared for them. Personally, I would never even consider going on line without an adequate array of tools installed on my pc. Be paranoid because "they" (meaning the writers of malicious software) are out there and they are after your pc. Fortunately, as makeitso pointed out, there is a virtual arsenal of weapons with which you can defend yourself. If you do nothing else today, download makeitso's suggestions and start using them. Read about protecting your pc and be prepared.

top topics

join