It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: British Plane Makes Emergency Landing - Passengers Safe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
A British 737 was forced to make an emergency landing in France. The plane was carrying 144 passengers from Menorca to Leeds. The pilot was said to have been alerted by a problem with the cabin pressure. The alarm went off at an altitude of 36,000 ft. Oxygen masks dropped, but all passengers on board are believed to be unharmed.

news.bbc.co.uk
A British Boeing 737 packed with 144 holidaymakers heading to Leeds has been forced to make an emergency landing.
The British owned Astraeus plane was carrying passengers from Menorca when the pilot requested the landing at Brest-Guipavas airport in France.

A spokesman for Leeds Bradford Airport said the request was made after an alarm in the cockpit alerted the pilot to a potential loss of cabin pressure.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is this reminiscent of the recent Greek Airlines tragedy? Was this possibly headed for the same way? What is going on with airplanes lately?

[edit on 20-8-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Sounds like a faulty indicator in the cockpit. You'd be surprised how often that happens. But it's usually something with the indicator instead of a real problem. In 30 years on a USAF flightline, my father lost count of how many planes came back with fire warning lights for the engines, but out of all of those, one came back with a fire. We had one C-135 flying the commander of PACAF around that everytime it took off with a full load of fuel would get a fire warning light. When they tore the engine apart, they found a small drop of oil that when they took off at full power, it would cause enough vibration so that it would roll down the wires, and hit the temperature sensor, and cause a short, making the light come on.

[edit on 20-8-2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I heard from a friend that another plane was grounded a few days ago that was to leave from London to Greece. The passengers were all let off the plane. Nothing has been said about this but I wonder if it is a spate of problems with the systems? I confess not to know too much about passenger planes. Is this sort of thing normal then?

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
What the Hell is Wrong with this Airplanes Lately?

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
There are actually quite a few things that can cause a plane to be grounded. especially with commercial airliners. There are a lot of little things they can fly with and a lot of other things that they absolutley won't fly with.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Yes but are the problems with cabin pressure so normal that one would crash last week and another one grounded today?

I'm not sure if that is commonplace or if we are just paying more attention recently.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Is this not the second of two. The last does anyone know for sure if there was a loss of cabin pressure that contributed to the crash?

Last it was suspected problems with the tail rudder that may have caused the crash in the USA acouple of years ago. I suppose when one looks a the amount of 737s in service though, it real must secure its safety record overall. But yet the depressurization for a possible second time in as many weeks seem strange.

Dallas

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Why are all the airplanes falling from the sky? My whole family is traveling and its a conspiracy against me to make me go crazy.. Now i get to go crazy on Thursday for their return trip.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
According to this quote in the above link there was a real problem and the pressure did actually fall:

The flight crew followed routine emergency drills which included donning their own oxygen masks as the cabin pressure fell and a rapid descent was initiated.

At that time the plane was 60km west of Brest so the pilot made his request to land.

"During this time as the cabin pressure levels fell, the passenger oxygen masks automatically deployed and passengers were directed by the cabin crew to use them," the spokesman said.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
A Northwest Airlines flight from Japan to Guam landed, and was heading in to their gate, when the nose gear collapsed, injuring one passenger who is still in the hospital. One runway is still closed, and a team arrived on island today to life the plane and get the runway cleared. Five flights were cancelled today, and several arrivals have been diverted go Anderson AB, and Saipan until both runways can be reopened.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Scary stuff. I wonder how old the plane is. Seems there are quite a few "elderly" planes in the air and perhaps they are just running out of speed and should be retired. Glad no one was hurt.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it was a 747-200 which means it's an old airframe. It almost sounds like the nose strut sheared off because the nosegear retracts forward on the 747. I can't see anyway for it to just move forward when the plane would be pushing it backwards. They were lucky that only one person ended up in the hospital. That's why you should always wear your seatbelt until the plane parks.

new topics

top topics

join