It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Russian Cosmonaut Sets New Space Record

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Russian cosmonaut Sergei Krikalev set a new record for total time spent in space on Tuesday when he broke the record of Sergei Avdeyev by staying 748 days in space -- much of it spent on the International Space Station. He was congratulated by NASA mission control with "Fly on, Sergei!" The American record for time in space is only 374 days set by astronaut Mike Foale.

www.chron.com
With little fanfare, Russian cosmonaut Sergei Krikalev on Tuesday set a world record of 748 days for time accumulated in space.

Krikalev, who will turn 46 later this month while commanding the international space station, is on track to raise his total to 814 days — or more than 27 months — when he returns to Earth in early October.

"Fly on, Sergei," NASA's Mission Control radioed the world's most accomplished space traveler as he set the cosmic milestone at 12:44 a.m. "You will have to congratulate me every day from now on," Krikalev joked with the station's companion flight control team in Moscow.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It's good that new space records are being set, even with the problems NASA has been having with the shuttle. Hopefully President Bush's plan to return to the moon and on to Mars will be fulfilled in our lifetimes...

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
It's one heck of a record, that's for sure. If you just think of the amount of time you've spent in one place, and think how long two years really is, it's really an amazing feat.

Hopefully President Bush's plan to return to the moon and on to Mars will be fulfilled in our lifetimes...

Well, his plan was 20-30 years, and I for one certainly intend to live long past that. However, I find it unlikely that will actually be achieved, it just wasn't realistic, not with the way the government has been treating NASA for decades.

join