It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The End of Political Baiting and Sniping on ATS (was ALL MEMBERS READ)

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by justgeneric
vagabond - you know not what you'v done *insert maniacal evil newby laugh* I am compiling my list
I know I will have questions

Fire away. I bought A TON of U2U space months ago and my box is virtually empty. I love to rant and spread my half-baked views on everything from the Constitution to certain strange and pointless behaviors that I beleive should be mandatory for all elected officials.

(for instance, I believe that whenever something goes wrong, however small, if the president isn't already in tears with remorse for having screwed up, he should have to go on TV and peel onions until he cries.)

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
and i don't think the lines are being drawn clearly enough.

you need to give more examples, because i have a feeling in it's current state, i'm affraid that this is going to be a way for some moderators to push their own political agena through and as ussual, one side is going to be repressed

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Syrian Sister
and i don't think the lines are being drawn clearly enough.

I think it's reasonably clear.

Political debate is intended for PTS. While politics will invariably factor into the discussion of government conspiracies, we prefer that polarized bickering about political ideology remain out of conspiracy discussions, and focused on PTS.

Simple.

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 03:18 AM
link   
i like the idea, but i have one question, or scenario. im not being mad or anything i just see it like i see it. ok, i just registered on to ats. i see a lenghthy article, i read and read and read till i get tired and skip in the middle and go to the end and reply back. post reply. my point. have you ever played the game when you were a kid to whisper in one persons ear and that person wispers what you said in another persons ear and when it gets to the last person and they say something that was tatally wrong. well maybe some of this, is what is going on. (off the subject) im not agreeing with the bad im just saying that this happens. how do you moderate that?

sincerely, new member.

posted on May, 27 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by littlebird
i like the idea, but i have one question, or scenario. im not being mad or anything i just see it like i see it. ok, i just registered on to ats. i see a lenghthy article, i read and read and read till i get tired and skip in the middle and go to the end and reply back. post reply. my point. have you ever played the game when you were a kid to whisper in one persons ear and that person wispers what you said in another persons ear and when it gets to the last person and they say something that was tatally wrong. well maybe some of this, is what is going on. (off the subject) im not agreeing with the bad im just saying that this happens. how do you moderate that?

What you just descibed is a poster being self-righteous and impatient. You can call somebody on that without picking a fight. The only way to enforce good behavior in online communities is through peer pressure.

Online communities attract several different sorts of posters. Those who come to learn, those who come to fight, an those who come to be right all the time. The learners and the fighters can to some extent be moderated by peer pressure that encourages a certain behavior, while the ego trippers can be dealt with by ignoring them.

I have only ever seen one board that was what you'd call a paragon of virtune, and that was an invitation-only community. Even in that paradise, there were serpents.

I don't know if there is a specific gooming policy for moderators--and I don't want to know--but it might be worth doing to herd some posters to AP or BTS. That's about the only way you're going to engineer ATS to be what you really want it to be. Your only other option may be a careful examination and editing of the rules for conduct.

The people who start a thread have a certain amount of unofficial authority to moderate the conduct in that discussion. It might be worth doing to insert language in to the rules for conduct that urges any one who starts a thread to act with greater propriety. If you've just gotta do something, that would be a thing to do.

Perhaps it may be worth doing to start a forum on board ethics in which posters can start threads on what is considered to be superior board behavior. Esssays on the basics of argument and comportment might be put up to give mods something to link to. If the mods can pass out constructive reading material, that might also help.

I've got my niche, and I'm happy to stay in it. Past experience will motivate me never again to be a mod if I can remain in my right mind. Even so, I recognize what they do, and the value of it. I try to be helpful when I can. Having said all this, I also recognize that there are only so many ways that you can keep the posters from fighting. Have a good day.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I get tired of being labeled a liberal everytime I dare question things like American Imperialism / Hegemony, and things related to that. Or for attcking Bush where he deserves it.

I used to be the Bush supporting ignoramous. Now I woke up to the entire system being corrupt to the core (including the Dems), yet that makes me "Liberal"??

So then I'm forced to explain that I'm not a "Liberal".

You know what, it's probably used as intentional Red herring ploys in many of the cases out there.

KneeJerk (conditioned reflex) political binaryism thought processes are for the elementary school playground, yet this is the defining characteristic of adult America (for those who actually give a damn anyways).

[edit on 28-5-2007 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Bliss, so, you get called a liberal. Why should that bother you? We get called a lot of things in day to day life, though most of them are said out of earshot.

And sooner or later, someone will call me a liberal, or a conservative, or a neo-con, or a racist, or an idiot. It doesn't matter.

I'll argue till hell freezes over or until I'm proven wrong. And if I'm proven wrong, then I'll change my point of view. That's all that can happen.

The labels are just people's way of trying to wrap their mind around what you say, a way for them to try and put you in a spot they can tell themselves you fit. I refuse to fit.

I speak from the heart, not from some predefined group position. And every time I'm labeled as something, then the next time I say something, it's unexpected. That keeps them from being able to predict me. I like it that way.

So don't even let that kind of thing worry you any, or it will start to effect how you think about things in general. As long as you do your own thinking, on every subject, you're being you, not what others want you to be.

I'm a gun toting constitutionalist that thinks abortion is a family choice, I think that preserving nature is the way to go, and would pull the trap door on half the politicians in America. I detest the practices of big business, believe in equality for all citizens and the deportation of all illegals, and that you cannot mandate morals or racial harmony.

See, that's how you keep them confused. Focus on what's right and let the devil take the hindermost. I'm a person, not a label.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
I'm a person, not a label.

Exactly. Well said btw. I can't count the amount of times I've been labeled a Con by a Lib and vice versa. I like your explanation though why this happens. Makes sense now.

The thing is that those throwing labels around are easily tagged as a certain mindset. I'm PROUD I don't fall into either camp. I will continue to think for myself. Most here do imo. Then there's that 5% that you just want to slap(both sides).
It does nothing for discussion. It becomes a pulpit.

We really need a yawning smiley for things like this.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
We really need a yawning smiley for things like this.

Although it looks likes it is dying rather then tired.

[edit on 28/5/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I hope country bashing is included in this. Ive spent the last week defending my country against unnecessary verbal attacks. it gets very tiresome, and emensly takes away from the pleasure ATS.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Then that turns into getting bashed as a country basher for pointing out evils or woes that should be considered and maybe corrected etc.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
evils or woes of a country have no place in the threads I've been taking part in. in one case it completely derailed a thread and spun it off into the twilight zone. Pointing out evils or woes is fine when thats what the conversation is about. But when it comes out of left field and has nothing to do with the topic at hand it is trolling and should have no part on ATS.

posted on May, 28 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I don't think that was me doing it, but what I'm talking about is my threads on the matter getting derailed in the same way you're talking about.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Nope wasn't you. Its been a while sense you and I have stomped some of the same thread turf. Come on over to the survival forums and sit a spell we like company.

It really does suck when the thread is hijacked for peoples petty differences. Moranick things like political agendas and my country is better then your country really ruin the learning process. Don't even get me started on the religious zealots. I'm glad the Amigos made this move. I was getting very irritated. I made the mistake of letting myself be baited. I guarantee I will leave the site before I become such a fool again, at some point its no longer worth it. I hope that point is far off because I still have much to learn.

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Um, who finds ways to debate rabildy talking about survival

posted on May, 29 2007 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoranceIsntBlisss
Um, who finds ways to debate rabildy talking about survival

You would be surprised come on over and check it out. it gets pretty heated on occasion. Start with the Troubled thread. Americans V. Americans
Any time you have a difference of opinion you have the potential to get into heated debate. the subject matter can be anything. Survival is no different.

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
We have observed a marked rise in the increase of intensely politically-charged posts that appear to be designed to generate a partisan political flame-fest within threads on AboveTopSecret.com.

There will be an increased awareness, by all our staff, over this activity, and such posts are subject to removal with repeat offenders subject to receiving warnings.

We understand that the nature of speculating on contemporary conspiracies may necessitate examination of politics. And we also certainly understand that politics is inherent to conspiracy speculation. However, the "my side" versus "you side" name calling, sniping, and baiting must not find its way into threads on AboveTopSecret.com.

If you are unable to discuss topics with a political basis without resorting to such activity, then we suggest you limit your participation to AbovePolitics.com

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer[/i
Effective immediately, George is going to be edited and warned until he gets with the program or moves on.
Springer...

Good call, Springer.
I never liked George, anyway.

posted on Jul, 8 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
OK I feel that do need to speak my mind now.
I understand the purpose of AP and I am not arguing against the idea that purely political partisan discussions should be kept off ATS.

Now that I have got that out of the way I will get to my point. While there will always be an partisan nature to politics discussions that involve member X and member Y spark an debate that is of no value and is nothing more then the same old bricking and the tired old American two party partisan divide which is filled with such poisonous and shallow ideas. Such discussions shouldn't be encouraged.

You see it is possible to have an high quality discussion with in an partisan frame work AP should be more then just the dumping ground for the A political is better then B political debates.

posted on Jul, 9 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I totally agree with everything that has been said.
I also wish that politics and conspiracy theories could be kept out of important breaking news....like the recent Car bomb at Glasgow airport...

I came ATS especially to get all the news items that I knew the members would be posting to keep on top of the story.
Yet within 2 pages a poster was on about it being an inside job continuously through the whole thread with absolutely no evidence to go on.
How could they know when all the facts had'nt even unravelled or been reported at that point yet??

It was done to derail the thread only.
It was annoying and made me go elsewhere for the breaking news on this story as it turned into anything but a breaking news thread.
Can some well defined guidelines be set up for BREAKING NEWS only??

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join