It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TAIWAN to Receive Kidd-class Destroyers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
TAIPEI --- Two of four Kidd-class destroyers purchased from the United States are expected to be delivered to Taiwan by the end of the year, an official of Navy General Headquarters said Tuesday.

Rear Adm. Lee Hao, deputy chief of staff for Combat Readiness and Training, made the remarks at a press conference held at the Ministry of National Defense to explain the progress of the four destroyers purchased at a cost of NT$24 billion in June 2003.

Lee said that military officers and seed instructors, as well as repair and maintenance technicians are receiving training in the United States to prepare for the delivery of the two de-mothballed destroyers, which are undergoing sea trials and weaponry system tests.

The ships are entering the final tactical test and evaluation stage and are scheduled to undergo SM-2 fire tests in October and depart from the U.S. in early November. The other two destroyers are expected by March 2007.

Lee said the navy hopes that after the commissioning of the four destroyers, they will form the outer peripheral of the fleet, while the navy's Perry-class, Knox-class and Lafayette-class frigates will play an inner circle role.

The Kidd-class destroyers will target enemy planes that have fired missiles, leaving other vessels to deal with the incoming missiles.

The Taiwan authorities submitted a shopping list in 2001 that included top-of-the-line U.S. destroyers of the Arleigh Burke class equipped with the Aegis radar system, but the Bush administration later approved the sale of only the much older Kidd-class destroyers.

The purchase was embroiled in a fierce debate. Opponents of the purchase included members of the legislature's powerful defense committee, which made several attempts to block the sale. Critics cited ships' age -- they were built in the late 1970s -- and their high cost, and suggested that Taiwan should push the U.S. to release the Aegis system sooner.

(Source: Taiwan Government News; issued Aug. 16, 2005)

www.fas.org...

Despite their age these are still awesome ships.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
These are actually pretty formidable ships. They were orignally designed for naval warfare in the Persioan Gulf, and have enchanced AAW capability, plus the full Spruance Class ASW suite, and Harpoons.

We used to refer to them as the "Ayatollah Class" destoyer, since it was Khomeini who very nicely provided them to us.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
its about time the Taiwanese got their destroyers. since all that haggling about it would make China mad is pretty much nonsense since they been putting more and more land attack missiles on the shores of China facing towards Taiwan.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Yea...I am no experts in naval warfare, but from what the stats sheet says the ship seems quite good. It also seems to be the biggest warship Taiwan has ever recieved.

And its advance radar and C4I will give a boost to the navy and perhaps the air force. It would be even better if Taiwan gets ships with Aegis system, though, since it has better missile interception capability.

If Taiwan gets the submarines, and install cruise missiles on the destroyers and subs, it would significantly increase Taiwan's retaliation capability.

Some people in Taiwanese message board are wondering though if Taiwan needs a powerful navy. They argue that since Taiwan is close China, if China launch a surprise attack, etc, the navy would be less useful. I don't completely agree with them because I think a strong naval presence is still necessary. Any thought on that?

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Arleigh Burke Class with AEGIS would be good for Taiwan and would increase their capabilties immensely. But the risk of an Arleigh Burke operated by Taiwan falling into the wrong hands in a time of war is too great in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Arleigh Burke Class with AEGIS would be good for Taiwan and would

I much agree with you, and I support in advance US should give Taiwan more and more fighting-ship like Ticonderoga Class which if US was afraid some superior technology in Burck Class would be betraied.
I said that because I considered Kidd has no capability to antagaonize 170 which has enter in PLA external image

Mod edit: Image size only.

[edit on 21-8-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile

Arleigh Burke Class with AEGIS would be good for Taiwan and would

I much agree with you, and I support in advance US should give Taiwan more and more fighting-ship like Ticonderoga Class which if US was afraid some superior technology in Burck Class would be betraied.
I said that because I considered Kidd has no capability to antagaonize 170 which has enter in PLA external image

Thats what subs are for. 170 wouldnt last long

Mod Edit: image size only.

[edit on 21-8-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Arleigh Burke Class with AEGIS would be good for Taiwan and would increase their capabilties immensely.

and also it would relieve the USN/PACOM from some of the duty patrolling around Taiwan,which the USN/PACOM are doing now as required by the Taiwan Relations Act.

But the risk of an Arleigh Burke operated by Taiwan falling into the wrong hands in a time of war is too great in my opinion.

what do you mean? sounds like you've been reading too much chicomms baboon's red arse liars spy's propaganda and lies! you make it sound like as if the AEGIS Arleigh Burke are so easily captured as some kind of plastic paddle boats

let me assure you that Taiwan military will be fighting for the freedom and liberty of their family,property,country and their national honor against those evil murderous chicomms baboon's red arse liars!

[edit on 21-8-2005 by j311o]

new topics

top topics

join