It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Senator Clinton Warns about Global Warming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
The United States has been given a clear warning with regard to global warming. Sentators John McCain and Hillary Clinton delivered the urgent message and called on world leaders to recognise and take action against the problem. The Senators' findings directly addressed President Bush's decision not to escalate the US carbon emissions issues. "It's heartbreaking to see the devastation," said Senator Clinton with regard to her trip to the Yukon.

news.independent.co.uk...
Their findings directly challenge President George Bush's reluctance to legislate to reduce America's carbon emissions. Although both senators havetalked before of the need to tackle global warming, this week's clarion call was perhaps the clearest and most urgent. It also raises the prospect that climate change and other environmental issues could be a factor in the presidential contest in 2008 if Mrs Clinton and Mr McCain enter it. Mrs Clinton and Mr McCain, who represents Arizona, are among the leading, and the most popular, likely contenders.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Here we have it again folks in black and white. I hope this riles up President Bush to address this much needed and urgent problem that is affecting us all. This isn't the first time we have heard it and hopefully it won't be the last. For those politically savvy enough to realise that this is a popular vote waiting to happen, at least let's hope whoever is elected in the future to address it in a better way than Bush has.

news.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 19-8-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   

I hope this riles up President Bush to address this much needed and urgent problem that is affecting us all.

Addressed:
Group Applauds Bush, G8 on 'Global Warming'
New pact to reduce global warming

And:
The Theology of Global Warming

seekerof

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Seeker

While your links are good, this is the new and latest warning to President Bush and therefore not the same thing as the news source I have included, but you are right - it is relevant.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   

"It's heartbreaking to see the devastation," said Senator Clinton

What devastation? What is she talking about? Global warming has not caused any 'devastation', and if she was so concerned about it, maybe she should've whispered in her husband's ear a few years ago.

this is the new and latest warning to President Bush

I think what he is saying is that bush has been addressing global warming, he doesn't need any 'warnings' about it.

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The devastation she is refering to is the following in the article:

She said that, flying over the Yukon, she saw forests devastated by spruce bark beetles, believed to be increasing at an unprecedented rate because of warmer weather. She also talked of what a 93-year-old woman at a fish camp at Whitehorse told her. The woman said she had been fishing there all her life but now fish have strange bumps on them.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Misleading. Claims we are warned, but neither politician brings any evidence that WE are causing the changes that could, and probably is, cyclic change.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It also says in the article that these two senators are running for office and therefore will probably use the environmental issues as platforms. It is a 'hot' topic at the moment. Making people believe they are caring however is not the same thing as caring.

But it can't be denied that changes need to be made and quickly. There are a lot of people who disagree that ALL global warming is cyclical.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Repeat

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Fish bumps and beetles? Oh the humanity.

Seriously, thats not devastation.

Thomas Crowne
but neither politician brings any evidence that WE are causing the changes that could, and probably is, cyclic change.

There's a consensus amoung Climatologists that Global Warming is occuring, however I don't beleive that there is a consensus amoung scientists in general that it is occuring. Unfortunately, the science has become extremely politicized, in both directions.

However, industry and modern society puts greenhouse gases into the air, it would seem that that alone would indicate that global warming probably will occur. That doesn't perhaps warrant extreme measures like Kyoto tho.

The big problem with global warming is that the US has a population that is practically science illiterate, and the rest of the western world has a population that is vehemently anti-capitalist-industrialist-american and seems more concerned about who to scapegoat for global warming that the details of the science surrounding it. Fortunately most scientists themselves can remain, on the whole, relatively objective about the whole thing.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
What about this quote from a related article here on ATSNN. Is the Greenland Glacier Recession Rate a cyclic phenomena as well, or a sign of dangerous acceleration in the cycle?

(originally posted by Mischevious Elf)
"Also just to maybe offer some more evidence for anyone at all, once and for all about this very recent developments are both startling and expected:

This research has only just been published and with the recent knowledge, that the data that most of the anti climate change lobby, have used for years in defense of their stance, as their so called "evidence" is not correct. Infact now the technical issue has been fixed the Correct data shows a rapid change in the climate. Also:

quote:
East coast, Greenland — Independent scientists on board the Greenpeace ship Arctic Sunrise yesterday discovered that a Greenland glacier has accelerated in the past nine years, exceeding all expectations, and has now become one of the fastest moving glaciers in the world. These observations validate predictions of the response of Greenland glaciers to recent climate change.

Seems pretty conclusive to me and:

quote:
Preliminary findings indicate Kangerdlugssuaq Glacier on Greenland's east coast could be one of the fastest moving glaciers in the world with a speed of almost 14 kilometres per year. The measurements were made this week using high precision GPS survey methods. The results were compared with measurements made with satellite imagery that revealed the glacier's speed was five kilometres per year in 1988. In addition, Kangerdlugssuaq Glacier unexpectedly receded approximately five kilometres since 2001 after maintaining a stable position for the past 40 years. Outlet glaciers like Kangerdlugssuaq transport ice from the heart of the Greenland Ice Sheet to the ocean and discharge icebergs which contribute to sea level rise. Kangerdlugssuaq Glacier alone transports or "drains" four percent of the ice from the Greenland Ice Sheet, and so any changes in the speed of these glaciers holds tremendous significance in terms of sea level rise.

Nice Sea Level Rise now as well as wierd and extreme weather:

quote:
"Greenland's shrinking glaciers are sending an urgent warning to the world that action is needed now to stop climate change," said Martina Krueger, Greenpeace Expedition Leader on board the Arctic Sunrise. "How many more urgent warnings does the Bush Administration need before it takes meaningful action on climate change?" said Krueger.

I tried to post the picture on the site, its startling the projection based on this Independant Data, look at the photo there.

I think think the Quote above says it all really.
Related ATSNN Article"

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I find it simply amazing how people still refuse to understand global warming and try and deflect it aware from our sphere of influence.

We are causing it, there is no doubt other than from those governments who are owned by those corperations that, generally, are directly responsible for this effect and thus refuse to acknowledge it. Sad that politic's takes precident over comman sense..

The artic is in bad shape, the glaciers in NWT are eroding, a chuck of ice the size of Long Island just dropped off do to the lower temperatures, any scietific journal shows the exact same thing time and time again..

But it can't be our fault...

Sure thing...

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Nygdan, the fact that it is occuring is not argued against by too many that I've seen, but what is argued, and what is the point of this "news", is whether or not we are to blame. If we are, and if we are due for another change as they say is cyclically correct, then who caused the other changes?
Pfft.

The article proves nothing more than that John and Hillary went on a romantic vacation together at our expense.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

She also talked of what a 93-year-old woman at a fish camp at Whitehorse told her. The woman said she had been fishing there all her life but now fish have strange bumps on them.

Bumps? I thought they were bread crumbs.

Ahem. (cough) Sorry.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Thomas Crowne
...The article proves nothing more than that John and Hillary went on a romantic vacation together at our expense.

might we then expect a sequel screenplay
with a production title of; "Romancing the Crone"
~~~~~~~~~~~

seriously...i voted this submission as a 'NO STORY'
that does not mean the information is not noteworthy or devoid of merit

...on the contrary, both McCain & Clinton, need to interact with the
constituents who have a passion for such issues.

i'm really glad that it was a 'romantic' vacation instead of an 'amorous' one !

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   

the fact that it is occuring is not argued against by too many that I've seen, but what is argued, and what is the point of this "news", is whether or not we are to blame.

I;m sorry I should be more clear, by "global warming" i mean 'man made global warming'. I mean, natural global warming isn't much to talk about. Apologies, I heard 'global warming' and think 'manmade global warming'.

then who caused the other changes?

There's no doubt that the climate has changed in the past and that its changing now is a given. But predicting the course of the change is difficult. But again, personally I find it hard to beleive that man is putting lots of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere and that these gases are not having a greenhouse effect. If there is no man-made global warming, then thats a bit of a mystery. Of course, the amount of gas man outputs is tiny relative to the atmosphere in its entirety, but small things can have pretty big effects.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Why is the debate on whether or not man is responsible for global warming?

Global warming is happening: fact

Man-made pollution has to stop: fact

Who cares if man-made pollution is causing the planet to warm? We should oppose pollution and greenhouse gases simply because they are detrimental to our own health. Does any one here think man-made pollution and greenhouse gases are a good thing?

Get rid of them because they are health hazzards, and if they do happen to be responsible for helping to warm the planet along with some cyclical process then thats an added bonus

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I personally think any public release by either of those two people is purely political posturing and disengenous. The current administration is on record as saying that global warming is a reality and needs to be addressed--which I believe is happening. I don't thing enough is being done yet, by anyone, but I also don't think Bush can be singled out for chastizement on this issue.

Nice way with words St Udio. LOL:

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
man's contribution to global warming is real we just dont really know what will happen or how much our contribution is actually doing or if it is just natural. It is generally accepted by climatologists and meteorologists (my brother is one) that it IS a problem and it looks like we are causing it.

The problem is that global warming has been politicized. Any talk about global warming immediately puts in the mind of some people that its just those "crazy liberals" again and nothing has to be taken seriously from what they say.

A geologist I know says that he always gets letters from think tanks and societies who are working to disprove man-made global warming because they all work in the petroleum industry. The issue has politics and money involved so there's a lot of disinformation out there.

Am I the only one who thinks we should be taking as much action as possible to reduce our environmental footprint, improve the environmental sustainability of our industries and reduce greenhouse gases even though there are studies that say that it isnt as bad as the models are showing??

i'd rather be safe than sorry.

thanks,

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'd like to point out that this was a joint bi-partisan statement made by both Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican John McCain...the headline of this ATSNN article is quite biased and other example of the black-band stuff being discussed...

[edit on 8/20/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Solar power is the way forward - if everyone had just a 1000 watt system there would be a surpluss of energy

so maybe everyone on ATS could start by fitting a 1000 watt system? i allready have!!

or are people not willing to move forward , and talk about it but don`t action anything?

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join