It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: UK Birds Affected Drastically by Climate Change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Ornithologists are warning that warmer climates could threaten native bird species in the UK. A study found that 2004 was the worst seabird breeding season ever on record. The report also said that there was a rapid decline in a number of birds including ducks, geese and swans.

news.bbc.co.uk...
Richard Hearn of the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust said: "The latest trends for wintering wildfowl show worrying declines over the past 10 years for a number of species that previously have not been of concern

RSPB conservation director Mark Avery said: "The impacts of climate change are already evident on the UK's bird populations and the RSPB remains concerned that within our lifetimes these changes are likely to become ever more marked.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yet more evidence that warmer climates and milder winters are affecting the UK flora and fauna. Decreased numbers of birds are indicative of a larger climatic problem that could end up being catastraphic in a few years time.

[edit on 19-8-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Migratory birds' future is linked to concerted global actions to tackle climate change

Mark Avery
RSPB conservation director

This report is interesting in light of the current concern over the spread of Avian Flu by migratory birds. Sounds like it lessens the impact of that. Although, one must wonder if climate change is also a contributing factor to the disease in the first place.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Ive noticed the mild winters over here in the UK but I dont know about increased temperatures. Last summer and this summer have been pretty much non-events as far as temperatures are concerned.

Strangely enough I had noted how little sparrows there have been over the last couple of years. I remember talking to relatives just casually whether they had seen any sparrows lately, they hadnt. You used to see swarms of them now you rarely see them.

Its the same with the sparrows in Australia where I usually live. You hardly see them lately when you used to have hundreds.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I agree with subz, I used to remember seeing flocks of sparrows and especially starlings but now I cant remember the last time I saw more than a couple at a time !

But I do think it has been warmer, as Im a nightshift worker I have been waking up more covered in sweat and that is with the windows open and a fan on !!

top topics

join