It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mysterious Race's Golden Treasure Trove Found In Bulgaria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
A treasure of 15,000 golden rings spirals and beads, some of what is believed to be amongst the oldest objects ever discovered in the area have been unearthed in Central Bulgaria. The golden treasure is at least 5,000 years old. Archaeologists are excited about the find and state that the hoard matches the magnificent treasures found at Troy. This is the second major find in Bulgaria over the past few weeks with a treasure filled tomb believed belong to a Thracian King also being found in the south east of the country.

www.abc.net.au
Fifteen thousand miniature golden rings, spirals and beads described as the oldest objects ever discovered in Bulgaria were among the treasures.

The Bulgarian find consists of miniature golden rings, some so finely crafted that the point where the ring is welded is invisible with an ordinary microscope.

Unearthed in an ancient tomb in central Bulgaria, the exquisitely crafted pieces are believed to have been made by the proto-Thracians - one of Europe's most mysterious civilisations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Archaeologists were led to the discovery by a farmer and the exquisite pieces are believed to have been crafted by the Proto-Thracians.

This is fantastic news, we can gain further insight into an ancient race of people and how they lived. I do hope the discovery is eventually put on exhibit for the whole world to see, admire and learn about.

There must be many places around the world with such as yet unearthed buried treasures but as time goes on so do the discoveries.

This is something new which is something very old and hopefully can teach the human race more about themselves.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.suntimes.com
www.freep.com

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The article states that the ancient Thracians were "most mysterious," but doesn't add that they vanished "without a thrace," specifically the reason they are considered mysterious. The present inhabitants, the Bulgarians, are a different people.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
What fascinated me so much is the fact that the welding joins on the gold jewelry is not visible even under a microscope.
SOme of the pieces I have seen in the articles I have read about them a exquisite. I would love to wear them myself even today. Timeless pieces with a slightly geometric design.

The Bulgarian find consists of miniature golden rings, some so finely crafted that the point where the ring is welded is invisible with an ordinary microscope.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Orpheus, the mytho-legendary musician of greek myth who journeyd to the underworld, etc etc, was said to be a Thracian. He's certainly be able to sing the praises of these incredible things!

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

novinite.com

That's a really neat find.

It's all preserved so well.
It would be interesting to see all of that in person.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I have heard about this but I think the age 5,000 years is a bit off. 5,000 years would have put it at the end of the late neolithic and just before the Sumerians and pre-dynastic Egypt...most of the metal work then as I understand it was copper and some bronze...gold work of that fenisse came a little later....still it is a fasniating find. I will check out some more on it.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Orpheus, the mytho-legendary musician of greek myth who journeyd to the underworld, etc etc, was said to be a Thracian. He's certainly be able to sing the praises of these incredible things!

Today I learned.....

amazing myth, (the story behind the movie moulin rouge) I didn't know he was said to be thracian. Great find, great story

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
You know, i really love when people show up with an inflexible belief system.

And I also liked the "Without a Thrace' joke.

Good stuff.

I'll take this time to remind people they found the workings of a primitive battery in Egypt. The reason that this isn't more widely known?

Because we weren't even using batteries when the archeologist discovered the formerly acid-laden bowls.

If we are going to say we think the dating is off, for no specific reason, we have to allow leeway in both directions. We can't just say, well, I know it must have been more recent. I'll look into it.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I have heard about this but I think the age 5,000 years is a bit off. 5,000 years would have put it at the end of the late neolithic

Its from 3,000 BC, 5,000 years ago from today, rather than 5,000 BC. Old, to be sure.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Maybe the rings weren't welded but instead formed out of single piece of gold.

They could have 'punched' two concentic holes in a single slab and worked into a ring *shrug*

It is amazing to me how we keep finding sites like this, from all different ages, in all different places, containing all manner of things. There is soooo much we don't know. Contibutes to my hubris management!!

[Edit: Or they could have pinched (through) the center of a 'coin' of gold and worked it into a ring]

[edit on 2005/8/19 by Zadeh Redux]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I know exactly what I was saying...3,000 is right at the edge of the late neolithic and early civilizations as I understand it as for being inflexible, excuse me, again I was going by what I have read over the years...that does not make me inflexible by any stretch of the imagination...to glean that from what I posted is awlful arrogant of you.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The first dynasty of Egypt was 3100 3050 BC a few years over 5000 years This was ruled by Pharoh Narmer I have a feeling the had gold then LOL

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I checked all the links attached to this posting and only ABC was using the 5,000 year date, all the others including the BBC were using a 4,000 year old date which would have put it at about 2,000 bc instead of 3,000 bc. The point I was trying to make was that the artifacts, gold, copper and bronze from 3,000 bc, that I have personally scene (in museums) were fairly crude in comparison to the stuff being made just a thousand years later and that the stuff I had seen on line of this horde looked much more like the later stuff, than the earlier ones.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Ya know we really do'nt need alien astronauts, or gods or more advanced civilizations to explain the works of the the ancients, the inginuity of the human mind is more than enough. Look at it this way...a greek, egyptian or roman citizen standing at the cusp of B.C./A.D would have had more history behind him than we do from 1 A.D. to now. And we in our rush to modernize and to discount all that is not modern have forgotten far more than that citizen would have. By the end of the Roman empire in and around 450 A.D. the citizens of places like Rome and Alexandria and Athens were heirs to a mediterrian culture 3500 years deep. Thanks to the barbarians, the Christian fanatics and moderinists, we on the other hand are still in the wading pools. We should have the richest of all cultures, instead we have the most shallow one of all.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
that I have personally scene (in museums) were fairly crude in comparison to the stuff being made just a thousand years later and that the stuff I had seen on line of this horde looked much more like the later stuff, than the earlier ones.

Absolutely, this stuff was made be a real Master Artificer, its really exquisite. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if people in the ancient world went thru great legnths to trade in "Thracian Gold" (or whatever these people's were known as back then).

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 08:08 PM
link   
We, humans, have been digging-up graves and artafacts for thousands of years--the last couple hundred--under the guise of educating ourselves about ourselves. All we ever seem to learn is that man has always loved power and riches and that those that had, took from those that didn't. nothing changes. But hey, if this collection comes to my town, I'll go take a look.

top topics

join