It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any advantage to being left handed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I have always wondered whether being left-handed has any advantages. It seems that my left-handed friends are often handicapped when doing simple things like using a normal pair of scissors. In a world that favors right-handedness, is there any advantage -- at all -- in being a "lefty"

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Hmm writing text that is written right to left. Arabic?

www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk...
abcnews.go.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Hmm writing text that is written right to left. Arabic?

www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk...
abcnews.go.com...

hmmmmm, I don't know if there really is any advantage at all in being able to write right to left. After all, some asian texts are written from the top down.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Hmmm.

I don't really know. I've never been a righty so I can't really compare and contrast the experience

I can vouch for the difficulty with scissors though.

And can openers.

I hate can openers. I have two scars on my right wrist from those "diggy in" can opener thingies (the non twisty ones).

Hmph.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Mmmm...I can only think of four:

#1 You are a minority now, maybe get some benifits?

#2 Lefties are "special"

#3 Proffesional Baseball Pithcer

#4 If you find yourself in a parade, you can sit on the left side of the car and wave and be comfortable.

Thats about it.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Anyone tell me whether a left handed can be a fighter pilot as the right hand contols the jogstick

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I'm left handed but I use my right hand to open tins, use scissors, play snooker, and should the chance arise I would probably use it for flying jet planes (haha).

Really the only thing that is affected by it is writing, which always feels like a hard task. And I always manage to smudge the ink, ESPECIALLY when using fountain pens or the like.

On a similar note, there are quite a few famous left handed people, including:
Mark Twain
H.G. Wells
Paul McCartney
Ringo Star
Robert Plant
Michelangelo
Robert DeNiro
Pelé
Ronald Reagan
Bush Sr.
Clinton

To name a handful. Theres a large list
here

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotheRaGe
Anyone tell me whether a left handed can be a fighter pilot as the right hand contols the jogstick

You would have to learn how to use your right but good point.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
here is sombodys opinion on left handed advantages.

deseretnews.com...

It's important for people to learn about southpaws and give due respect. Lefties have many intrinsic advantages. They usually visualize things in a more abstract manner than righties. More artists and architects are natural lefties — Michelangelo, Pablo Picasso and M.C. Escher. Lefties are more perceptive to changes in musical tones, perhaps because they hear equally well with both ears, unlike righties. Thus great lefty songwriters such as Bob Dylan and Cole Porter.
Left-handed quarterbacks, like Steve Young, have had an advantage. And watch left-handed basketball players shoot around their right-handed opponents in the NCAA tourney this week.
Albert Einstein, Oprah Winfrey, Mark Twain, Larry Bird, Robert DeNiro and John McEnroe were and are lefties. Nevertheless, some say discrimination still remains in America, that it's a right-handed world. You have to be 30 minutes early to class to get the only left-handed desk, a left-handed student told me.

so i pretty much envy u lefty.

all those advantages u have is like the power of God.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Im left handed, however, you pretty much HAVE to use your right hand for a joystick, since their all curved to your hand anyways. However, moving the joystick is a simple task, meaning your good hand can punch buttons or do something more productive.

Not much really, cept you hand a different stance in everything, throwing off your opponents. Doesnt seem to matter in most things, but writing and scissors are still annoying.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
There seems to be an advantage to be left handed, specially if you're a boxer...

95 % of left-hooks are killers... KO material.

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
im a leftie!

I would say most ball sports we do well in, as most expect a ball to go a certain way but us leftie's come along and kick it or throw it another.

I used to play Football and was always picked first on the team lol even though i was pretty bad at it, but when i did kick it i always seemed to get a clear shot lol (they all kinda stood in the other direction)

posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
hmmm... advantages at certain sports like tennis and also ping pong. Also I think it is easier for lefties to write with both hands unlike right-handed people. The best advantage though has to be righties staring at me like I'm crazy as I try in vain to cut straight with scissors or when I twist my writing paper or pad all the way around at a 180 angle to be able to write.
Ditto can openers - those darn useless things...

I also have another *skill* which is being able to read upside down - could be a lefty thing I dunno.

But I would give that all up if I could gain a sense of direction. If there is a right way and a wrong way, trust me to turn in the wrong direction everytime.

top topics

join