It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers...they're back!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
New York Press article

"Although a quarter century ago C.H.U.D.s were publicly considered little more than an urban legend, a number of eyewitness accounts and a growing amount of physical evidence quietly convinced most people that they were much more than that. Dozens died or simply vanished underground—some yanked right off the street, through manholes."
"For the last 15 years, little has been heard about the C.H.U.D.s. There have been few sightings, and incidents ("accidents," "crimes," etc.) in the subways and the sewers could be easily explained. Then, in the spring of 2001, the first evidence appeared that a new generation of C.H.U.D.s had arisen. I was riding a downtown train early one Wednesday evening while two transit officers stood near me, talking shop.

"Walking down the tracks at Delancey," one of them said, "you know where they open up?" The other cop nodded. "Well, over to the left, there's a hole in the wall. That's where they hide."

It was immediately clear to me that he wasn't talking about rats, albino alligators or track workers. There was something in his voice, an undercurrent of fear, that made it obvious that something evil was down there. And although the word "C.H.U.D" came to mind, I dismissed it. After all, the MTA had killed them all off in 1982.

But over the next four years, as the evidence began to mount once again, it became apparent that the cops hadn't been quite as thorough as they thought. What's more, these new C.H.U.D.s were smarter than the old breed."

...and they're back with a vengance and a brain!

Updated link added:

www.nypress.com...

[edit on 29/7/09 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Yes i have heard of them.

Edited out off topic political snipe from before new measures.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by RANT]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Yes i have heard of them.

Aren't they also called NeoCons?

After a shower, shave and suit.

Hey slank, is it possible for you not to inject politics into every thread on ATS? Hmm?

Anyhow, good read.. I'm very skeptical of the article though.. he used a tree falling on the tracks as a CHUD method.. kinda out there..

While I dont doubt theres many people living in the subways (maybe even pyscho killers), but I don't buy the chud theory

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Kinda reminds me of the Morlocks from the Time Machine... But i loved the bit on how to avoid the CHUDS... awesome...

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Cool story. Thats probably all it is, but I may be wrong. They could be Bigfoots!! Underground Bigfoots.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
i recommend this for more info

it must be true

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 04:17 AM
link   
This sounds like somebody has read "The Mole People: Life In The Tunnels Beneath New York City" one too many times. As many know, this book, written by journalist Jennifer Toth, detailed communities of people living far beneath the streets of New York City in abandoned subway tunnels and the like. Her stories include details of group leaders, remarkable organisational skills such as access to hot water and the occassional terrifying encounter with individuals who even the mole people were afraid of.

Jennifer Toth's work was later criticised as being both sloppy and overly dramatic. Most anthropologists and sociologists consider it to be more fiction than truth. Accounts from actual "mole people" tend to discredit Toth's findings and doubt has been cast on her ability to recall specific events and places from her books.

Murderous CHUDs and highly organised communities of mole people might sound cool, but they are probably far from the truth. Whilst I do not dispute the notion that many people do make a home of New York's abandoned tunnels, I don't think that large communities exist. Nor will I be going out of my way to carry small rodents around with me.

Click here for a basic introduction to Jennifer Toth's work.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
Cool story. Thats probably all it is, but I may be wrong. They could be Bigfoots!! Underground Bigfoots.
Here's an even scarier thought. Bigfoot is a mammal. And therefore susceptable to rabies. Didn't Hollywood do a movie about this?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I think Borshct only works on the friendly version the V.H.U.D.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I love it when articles start out with claims of " a growing amount of physical evidence" and then present....nothing. I don't think that the article is meant to be taken seriously tho.

I was actually unaware that CHUDS existed outside of the movie of that name, even in myth!

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I think we have all seen what the media does when someone tries to outrun the cops or some fat kid gets stuck in a hole. If a person saw something drag a guy down a manhole in the middle of the street the media would be all over this. There would be a massive man hunt for this person and we wouldn't rest until we knew what happened.

I think this is just an urban legend but i am sure there are some shady characters living in those tunnels.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
I love it when articles start out with claims of " a growing amount of physical evidence" and then present....nothing. I don't think that the article is meant to be taken seriously tho.

I was actually unaware that CHUDS existed outside of the movie of that name, even in myth!

I knew that was the problem with it, but hey I figured maybe someone else would get a kick out of it (or saw someone getting dragged into a manhole!). I know I got my Borscht ready for the upcoming CHUD REVOLUTION!!

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I never really thought CHUDs were real. The first time I ever heard of them was when I was 8. I was in the car when I saw that the Department of Streets and Sanitation had a big pumping truck with a hose attached to a sewer. I asked my dad what it was and he sarcastically said that they were trying to suck all the CHUDs out.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I never knew what chud stood for until now. This is quite interssting but I do have another question to ask.

I remember reading somewhere, a year or two ago, about an author who was living underground with some community. Somewhere in like paris or new york or something. But they wrote a book on their time there. I'm not sure if it was the author already mentioned, but if anyone has any inkling of whom I'm talking about, that'd be greatly appreciated.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
SFRemmy-

The author is a woman named Jennifer Toth. The book she wrote is called "The Mole People: Life In The Tunnels Beneath New York City". Sadly for her, much of her work in the tunnels is being discredited. Tunnel dwellers themselves have disputed her findings and she has been challenged by her seeming inability to remember simple details concerning specific locations.

The book is pretty entertaining, but take it with a grain of salt. It has probably been over-dramatised.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah25
This sounds like somebody has read "The Mole People: Life In The Tunnels Beneath New York City" one too many times.

Or 'The Borribles' for those British people out there (im only going from childhood memory of this book).

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Citizens Against CHUDs (CACHUDs)

From the source article:
You may not like or trust city officials, their methods, denials and their obvious lies, but we have no choice but to stand with them on this. And when the day comes that you hear that the entire subway system is being shut down for 24 hours or more, don't panic. Just stay home, close your windows, and hope for the best. This is a fight that will determine the future, and possibly the very existence, of New York City.

Oh this is grand.

This is a fine piece of literature, and a delightful article. I am an incurable fan of this kind of satire.

Do CHUDs exist in the sewers of New York? Hard to say. There are many unusual things in all the sewers of the great cities of the world. It is the nature of sewers.

But I'm quite certain that the authors of this article are not as concerned about the perils of the CHUD menace as they are letting on.

Good times. Good times.

Brought to you by the Borscht Council.®

Many miles away
Something crawls from the slime
At the bottom of a dark Scottish lake

[edit on 8/24/2005 by Majic]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I firmly believe in CHUDS!!! I have seen one with my own eyes.

On the way to work this morning. I walked into the darkened office... There was a weird aire about the place, darkened, stifling air... I walked slowly toward my desk with intent to sit down and work, even though I felt I should run out screaming...

As I approached my desk, I heard a shuffling combined with snorting and snuffling sounds. I jumped as something knocked a coffee cup from a desk through the air, only to crash with a loud sound against teh wall.

I turned with trepidation toward the source of the sound....

OH... "Good Morning Boss. Have you had your borscht yet"?

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah25
SFRemmy-

The author is a woman named Jennifer Toth. The book she wrote is called "The Mole People: Life In The Tunnels Beneath New York City". Sadly for her, much of her work in the tunnels is being discredited. Tunnel dwellers themselves have disputed her findings and she has been challenged by her seeming inability to remember simple details concerning specific locations.

The book is pretty entertaining, but take it with a grain of salt. It has probably been over-dramatised.

Thanks Jeremiah

I feel kinda stupid now for it being the same author...but heh, oh well.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Thanks Jeremiah I feel kinda stupid now for it being the same author...but heh, oh well.

Hey, don't feel stupid. We all do stupid things. Once when I was five I wore two pairs of shorts to school.

Kind of off topic, for a brilliant story about wierd denizens of subways and abandoned railway tunnels, check out a book called "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman.

[edit on 25/8/05 by Jeremiah25]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join