It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UAV: Folding Wing Design

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Here's an interesting new concept in aircraft wing design.
www.popsci.com...

Based on birds folding their wings durring flight. A design by Lockheed Martin
We're already looking at wing warping in future UAV fighters. This should add a whole new performance angle.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Sorry, old news.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Yeah, I like it, Not only is is better for in the air, but since it can fold it would be great for carriers as well. In the few years the Air Force will likely have the X-45C, and the Navy will have the X-47B, which will hold em over until this wing changing plane comes of age, then it can replace them both.

Heres an ATS thread about this from a month ago.
Folding Wing Aircraft

edit: you beat me to it...(it took me longer cause I had to find my damn spare batteries for my keyboard)
oh well

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hmm... anyone else think there might have been something more to the Boeing Bird of Prey technology demonstrator than just being tail-less and stealthy? Maybe they used it as a manned test bed for this wing warping.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by CyberianHusky
Hmm... anyone else think there might have been something more to the Boeing Bird of Prey technology demonstrator than just being tail-less and stealthy? Maybe they used it as a manned test bed for this wing warping.

doubtfull, Its rumored that the Bird of Prey was a testbed for stealth...optical stealth that is.

top topics

join