It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Black Band Has Returned

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Ah the black band again... sigh...
Why not put this up instead, it would achieve the same purpose...

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
No-no, they make a lot of sense. What I think is necessary, though, is that we get our minds right, rather than re-sort the forums. That is a matter of proper modding. It is easy to see how the political creep can occur, especially since those in power are in control of the TV's and direct our thinking toward their direction of control. We as mods need to break that, and then we can lead the board in that direction.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
No-no, they make a lot of sense. What I think is necessary, though, is that we get our minds right, rather than re-sort the forums. That is a matter of proper modding. It is easy to see how the political creep can occur, especially since those in power are in control of the TV's and direct our thinking toward their direction of control. We as mods need to break that, and then we can lead the board in that direction.

The problem I see here is in your last sentence mainly.. "We as mods need to break that". The mods do an awesome job here, I won't contest that in any way. But the problem is, the mods cant be here all the time keeping everythread in the right direction ... it's just an impossible task.

It's obvious the black band, the endless posts of advice, rules, critique and "spirit boosts" from the moderators are going unnoticed by a majority (or minority?) of the community.

The way I look at this community is the same way I view a society.. and in a society, you always have people that frankly don't give a damn; unless it shoved into their face for them to read.. otherwise: "Blackband? *shrug, whatever, doesnt effect me." Some people are just destined to not care..

So what can we do to get everyone on the same page? Hmm?

I have a few ideas, but I wanna see what direction this post takes before voicing them..

[edit on 8/19/2005 by QuietSoul]

[edit on 8/19/2005 by QuietSoul]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The Black Band Of Moebius

Originally posted by JAK
Oh the irony of this thread!

Indeed, I don't think it could have been deliberately scripted any more poignantly.

On the bright side, the thread does explain quite clearly why the black band is back.

The greatest irony is that the “off-topic” posts perfectly illustrate the essence of the topic.

ATS can be so profound at times...

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
I just want to add that while I seem to have bold views/opinions about what's happening here at ATS over the past couple years that I do not in any way think the board is lacking in any given area. This community, with its ups and downs is awesome, regardless of petty disagreements (which is a given on forums by nature)

Just want you all to be clear that I don't think ATS is any less of a website then it used to be, or could be.. it's still going in the right direction..

And this very thread is proof of that. Being able to voice our opinions is something that most forums don't allow..

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Oh the Ironing of this thread!

You fool! You have angered the mighty Drama Llama

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
War on Terrorism is our main problem child.
There are posts there that are just plain stupid.

I made a suggestion a while ago to one of our Councilors, to separate the War on Terrorism forum in two forums: one for WoT Events and the other one for WoT Ideologies and Speculations. It is exactly the threads that would go into Ideologies forum that are currently creating problems in WoT forum.
WoT Events could stay on ATS and WoT Ideologies could be moved to PTS, maybe with a bit eased rules like the Slug-Fest forum, considering the nature of discussion.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul
I'm just throwing around idea's .. disregard them if they make no sense

Wilco good buddy, will continue on as usual. As of late though, have had the feeling of being caught in the twilight zone, while here on ATS.

Don't know what it is, but it sure ain't the water. This is nothing like Ohio...

Not so sure what to say as to the topic of this post, figured it wouldn't go away. Hence the avs arm band, but did not expect to see a new banner with it.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I am vocal in my opposition to society and the changes that are sucking us towards the New World Order. But I feel as I drive around the streets and watch my fellow man that it may be too late. Society is going to wake up too late to stop the rot.

It is the same on here, years ago when i first started being suspicious and started reading there were few out there that felt the same way. Nowadays people agree that it is happening but have been tuned (brain nulled) and trained to ignore it or not cause dissent that may cause them to lose the cushy existence they live.

To me I have noticed that the screws have tightened and where there is dissent it causes divisions and there are many red herrings thrown in for good cause to keep people arguing and away from the simple truths.

I posted an ATSNN article about what I see from here as being a potential conspiracy forming in Papua New Guinea and it stayed in submission with me getting "No Not Right" with the notes, "please bear in mind that this is a conspiracy style forum". It seems that the real issues are being overlooked for the sensationalized ones. This concerned me not for the lack of points I achieved or my writing style but for that FACT that I felt it was important to share my thoughts on the subject and start healthy debate on the matter.

The subjects that do keep people arguing over hands - left and right, keep the mind occupied and away from real issues.

If the NSA is watching these boards, they are laughing all over the floor. In the Art Of War one of the first things that you read is how to win in one easy step .....cause dissent and division amongst your opposition. It is easy to decimate a divided force.

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Hey I'm not the one who said Cindy Sheehan should be killed for being a traitor, they did. All the Neo-Cons have in fact in one post or the other on Cindy Sheehan called for her to be executed because she wants to talk to the president. Go over the topics in PTS and ATSNN and you see the ones I mentioned calling for her to be killed.

Except Cole, he just wants to kill all the "Stupid Hippies"(His words not mine) not just specifically Sheehan. Or Deesw just calls for the death of all liberals, blacks, jews, arabs, anyone who doesn't agree with him in the Origins forum. Is that why the black band is back?

Oh I do get offensive but do I rarely call for someone to be executed because they annoy me, I usually call for it because they have committed crimes against humanity/of cruelty that put the BTK Killer to shame.(He got what? 700+ years in jail?)

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
James keep on arguing there so heartily and you will miss the point completely....

*Insert smileys for two line post

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
In all honesty, we are all guilty to some degree of misdemeanors within the forum.
Finger pointing at specific individuals is the root of some of the problems we are witnessing.
We all have gripes against some people here, and their ideologies, but if it gets too much ,and you want to vent some anger or show them your frustration, then do it via U2U. Its better than showing it in the threads, which can, and do get ruined by such comments.

How about tightening the warning system? Step out of line, then you get a warn.
Name calling, and total downright nastiness belongs in the playground.
Warnings should be given as a matter of course along with an explanation in the relevant post as to why the warning was given. IE, 'this warning was issued because of.........etc etc' at the bottom of the individuals post.
That way we can understand the warning more clearly, and maybe we can learn from others mistakes?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:59 AM
link   

DD

Can you smell it...

Oh no a red dot!?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Although I am loathe to suggest it, perhaps there needs to be some form of punishment for overtly and deliberately misleading posts, one-line posts which contribute nothing and blatant personal attacks. After all, the Mods give applause for those threads and posts which are well thought-out, eloquently stated and well researched. Why not offer a similar point demerit system for posts and threads which are just the opposite.

Surely there are those who will see this as the introduction of some form of NWO / Orwellian-esque Moderator dictatorship, but it may help in limiting pointless threads whose only purpose is to hoard points.

Are we at that point?

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah25
Although I am loathe to suggest it, perhaps there needs to be some form of punishment for overtly and deliberately misleading posts, one-line posts which contribute nothing and blatant personal attacks. After all, the Mods give applause for those threads and posts which are well thought-out, eloquently stated and well researched. Why not offer a similar point demerit system for posts and threads which are just the opposite.

Looks like we are thinking along the same lines here fella

Check out my post ,two posts up ^^^^

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Bikereddie]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   
The point being attacks on others, name calling, death threats, don't usually come from the hippies but the Neo-Cons/republicans/christians. You don't see to many jews on here calling for a mother who lost her son to be killed. I don't see to many liberals calling for the death of say, Dan Rather because Karl Rove gave him false information. Sure they might call for Bush&Co but these people have actually committed Death Penalty crimes.

Don't see to many pro-choice people calling for Bill Frists head do you? No, but Pro-Lifers? I have 690 posts right now on them killing people in one topic. Deesw shines brightly in it attacking a fellow ATSer because they are younger then he is.

Anyways how about we leave the Origins/Religon forum out of what counts towards ATS black bar, that pretty much takes care of the death threats from christians on people like Rant because he was doing his job trying to keep Deesw in line/stop breaking the ATS rules on profanity and attacks on others. Hell in PTS Amuk was attacked because he was doing his job. You can't attack Mods for doing their jobs! Again don't see to many liberal hippies doing that.

EDIT Ok here a way of putting it.

You work in a beauty store, things keep "walking off". You go through security tapes and find 95% of the ones stealing are blonde. Now do you A
o something about and keep an eye on blondes who come in or B
o nothing and let thousands of dollars walk off your shelf every week? You A: Do something about it! If 95% of the people who insult, attack, and other wise break the rules are republicans/christians what do you do? I know I have been warned, several times, and I know others have been warned several times that aren't christian. But lets take a look at banned members

The Truth-Christian
Truth-The Truth under a different name
Dr. Horacid-Republican
Cazmedia-Republican
Emily_Cragg-Republican
Joe Manco-Republican

Those are just the ones I remember which is amazing since my memory sucks.

[edit on 19-8-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   
The Ways Of Justice

Originally posted by Bikereddie
How about tightening the warning system? Step out of line, then you get a warn.

“What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.”

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I wasn't around for the old days, but the impression I get is that back then, most members were of like mind and were here for the same reason: to discover the truth...friendly, good-natured collaboration was the name of the game, even when members disagreed. But now that ATS has grown into the leviathan that it is today, both extremes of the conspiracy thought spectrum are represented equally and in vast numbers - from those who believe every reptilian space vampire theory and are addicted to the promise of forbidden knowledge, right through to those who blindly defend government lies at all costs and are addicted to the superiority complex that comes with debunking everything in sight. For this reason, the black band - or at least what it attempts to highlight - is unfortunately here to stay.

Every few months this same issue is raised, from the original black band, to Winston Smith's poignant and lyrical lament, and now back to the black band again; and all this just in the short time since I've been around. Last time it came up, I suggested that what was needed may be more assertive action from the staff in steering ATS's overall direction and in moulding member conduct, an idea that was good-naturedly poo-pooed at the time. Interesting now to see a Supermod advocating the very same, unless I've missed some sarcasm in TC's post.

To use Winston's analogy, ATS has grown from a small tribe into a bustling metropolis, greater than the sum of it's parts. I see only two ways to direct such an entity: to institute martial law and whip the populace into shape, or to provide incentive and hope that 'the people' rise to the challenge of their own accord. The more forceful of these two methods will likely create more drama and misery than it heals. On the other hand, positive reward for desirable 'behaviour' is usually the most gentle and successful approach, whether dealing with a tempestuous child or a wayward employee.

Many will state that what the black band represents is simply the nature of the beast, so quit whining because nothing can be done about it. I agree with the first assertion, but not the second. ATS has led the way and broken new ground with so many other aspects common to online communities, indeed this is a fundamental reason for its success, and I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to do so with this one.

Perhaps we could use this thread to brainstorm methods and ways of rewarding the kind of member contribution and interaction that will produce, or recapture, the ATS that we seek. Are staff applauses and points enough? Are they being bestowed in the most appropriate manner? Can we institute an enhanced version of the WATS system to include member applauses, or member-to-member points 'gifts'? These and other ideas have been raised in the past, but have been allocated to the "too much trouble" basket. Perhaps it's time to reconsider these solutions and see what we can come up with...

[edit on 2005-8-19 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Hey I'm not the one who said Cindy Sheehan should be killed for being a traitor, they did. All the Neo-Cons have in fact in one post or the other on Cindy Sheehan called for her to be executed because she wants to talk to the president. Go over the topics in PTS and ATSNN and you see the ones I mentioned calling for her to be killed.

James, you're quite the biggot. You just find your stance to be the acceptable one (many more instances can be found):

james:
LEAVE YOUR PIG RAPING BABY KILLING ZOMBIE RAISING RELIGON CRAP OUT OF REALITY

That's why there's a black band. The most ignrorant believe their position is the most just one, and in no way can accept someone else's opinion - even just as an opinion. We've all seen well respected members and even staff go far out of their way to justify an unjustifiable, yet agenda driven, position.

Until you can read someone's posts you don't always agree with and gain something from them you're just as bad as the rest - both sides have some pretty good ideas.

It'll never matter, I'll just go off on some island some place and Republicans and Democrats, Americans and Europeans can bicker over silly while their countries and freedoms are being usurped. And not by the people their pointing their fingers at.

[edit on 19/8/05 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
The black band has appeared again because of the partisan political baiting and tit-for-tat hateful "blame the other side/person" tactics that turns nearly everything into a liberal-v-conservative bash-fest.

This is not denying ignorance.

(This is the reason for the black band the first time it appeared)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join