It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Formation of Galaxies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I apologise if this has been mentioned before I did a quick check but could not find anything! I recently watched a program called Horizon: Super Massive Blackholes which I found very interesting A theory has been put forward that all the Galaxies in the known Universe were formed in the same way by what at first would seem like an unlikely source! At the centre of every Galaxy it has been proven there is a Super Massive Blackhole in various states of activity These SMB's are so powerful there gravity heats up the gases that swirl around it as it sucks everthing in to approx 1,000,000 degrees C. Eventually the energy of the SMB becomes so large that it starts to push away the gases surrounding it and stars begin to form. This is a fairly simplified explanation but you get the idea!

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Whats so Unlikely about having a Black Hole at the center of our galaxy? I thought it was pretty much an accepted theory nowadays.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Sorry I have just realised the program is actually gettin on for 5 years old doh!! I'd never seen it before and am fairly new to looking into this sort of thing still pretty interesting, I thought so anyway!

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Offtopic

If you have broadband access and you liked Horizons then you will just LOVE this program. It's more about Physics then aynthing else but it should interest you.

www.pbs.org...

All about String Theory so it's much broader and longer 3 hours to be exact.

new topics

top topics

join