It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hookerman legend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 05:49 PM
link   
My small rural town in New Jersey has an odd urban legend associated with it. The story goes that during the turn of the century a railroad employee lost his hand and bled to death along a rail line that runs fairly close to my HS. Strange sightings of a glowing light and swinging lantern have haunted the tracks. I have never witinessed the sights myself, but some of my friends swear they have seen the light and have experianced car problems on the now abandoned and desolate tracks. The small time urban legend got some serious attention in the mid 60's when Princton University did an investigation into the sightings. They came to the conclusion that a rare mineral depsosit was sending electrical currents between the tracks creating strange lights. A few years later the tracks were torn up and the sightings continued. From some quick research i have not been able to find any reports of an accident or death on the rail line ever. I also know that the location is a common HS drinking spot that i myself have utilized. I have not been able to find any UL in other locations that are similiar to the hookerman story. Does my town have a unique urban legend asscociated with it? Check out weird New Jersey for some more information about the Hookerman and my strange state.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Unfortunately, It IS close to your High School, and most likely a figment of a student's imagination blown out of proportion.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 05:55 PM
link   
From what i can find the stories existed well before my highschool was even constructed. But i agree with you that it very well may be an urban legend. I think its cool that i know of one thats unique not only to my area but my own town.

join