It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next shuttle launch: March 2006

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Nasa has set a date for the next Shuttle launch, for march next year, meaning Nasa's got another 7 months to fix the foam falling problem.

To me this is good, and they should devote that time to making sure that big chunks of foam no longer fall off in flight. However I am tired of delay after delay, and you cant help but think that maybe they should just ditch the shuttle now and move on to there next-gen craft, But since a little thing called the ISS is still unfinished I think we should get the shuttle back up to par.

But in March when this thing launches and large pieces of foam still fall from it...then I say 'kill the Shuttle Program'.

Nasa Next Launch date

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Great how someone keeps me posted on the shuttle launch. Due to the lack of posts in this thread appearantly no one must care.

Did they propose how they are going to solve the foam problem? They should use a composite insulaton material that may be more resistant to damage, or they should revert back to the old non-enviromentaly friendly stuff that they were using for years with no problems. I don't think the should kill the shuttle program until at least 2010.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
America can "fix" ANYTHING it wants to... elections, census, public opinion etc. - 'a matter of national will and a savvy low bidder - or friend of 43.
OK so the longitudinal pipe flexes a bit and the foam falls off - rotate the mounting of the ET so the pipe is on the opposite side - away from the orbiter belly.
Or shrink wrap the ET in thin thermo-plastic skin...
Or don't run insulation at all - (like the very first tank) - and make sure that the tank is sprayed with de-icing agent after cryo tanking.
Or make a heavier multi wall tank - think of a thermos - expensive.
Or get smart and get an Energiya - if its' specific output and duration are good enough.
Anybody wondering why Discovery is now the next launch and not Atlantis??? Hmmm.
Ever wonder why this platform is permanently problematic... is this by design? Or lack of design? Or has there been a better "black" design in use for a long time... and NASA is a nicely decorated shop window - How much is that doggy in the window - the one with the waggely tale?

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldEagle
Did they propose how they are going to solve the foam problem?

No, they probably arn't sure yet which route to take.

highgroundsys0p
Anybody wondering why Discovery is now the next launch and not Atlantis??? Hmmm.

It said:

One benefit of the launch delay is that NASA can now use Discovery for the next mission instead of Atlantis as originally planned. The original plan called for Atlantis to be used for the second and third post-Columbia missions, in large part because Atlantis is lighter than Discovery and the third payload is made up of heavy solar array components.

"Now we can switch the launch order," Gerstenmaier said. "Instead of going Atlantis-Atlantis and having to turn that same vehicle around, we can now go Discovery, Atlantis and then back to Discovery and that's a much better overall flight sequence."

You gave a lot a good ideas...only time will tell which route they persue.

highgroundsys0p
Ever wonder why this platform is permanently problematic... is this by design? Or lack of design? Or has there been a better "black" design in use for a long time...

its because Nasa built the Shuttle wrong...but at least Griffen (Nasa Pres.) said that never-agian would they develop the space vehicle that the crew compartment isn't on the top.
I doubt there a better black version, Nasa simply doesn't have a money for it........But someone who does it the USAF, and i'm sure they have spacecraft that are far better then Nasa's.

new topics

top topics

join