It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

17 Families Of Dead Soldiers Demand War Inquiry in UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Representatives of 17 families of soldiers killed in Iraq lodged papers at the High Court yesterday demanding a review of the legal justification for the invasion. The UK government refused to open in investigation back in May.

news.independent.co.uk...

Mr Keys, from north Wales, said parents would not be taking such action if weapons of mass destruction had been found.

[Rose Gentles] 19-year-old son, Gordon, was killed by a roadside bomb in Basra last year. Mr Keys said: "We most strongly feel our sons were sent into a conflict not backed by international law or the United Nations. They were sent to war on a falsehood, against a background of propaganda of weapons of mass destruction."

Mrs Gentle said: " We want to get the truth for our boys." Even if the court action was unsuccessful, she vowed to continue her campaign, saying: "My son signed up for the Army to fight for his country but was sent to Iraq on a pack of lies."

news.bbc.co.uk...
news.ft.com...

There's plenty of families demanding answers from the government regarding the reasons made for invasion, and this set might have a chance of appeal by arguing for an inquiry through the Human Rights laws regarding use of lethal force. More likely though it will be thrown out and the government's two whitewash inquiries into other aspects of the war will be used as justification.

Hopefully at least it shows that those that want answers aren't just going to go away...

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that two of the families had arranged a display wherein "(swearyword) Bush" appeared in the sky through the magic of anus fired fireworks.

It was quite a sight I can tell you.

All joking aside it's amazing how America can be transfixed by a single woman in the right place, yet every parent asking the same questions before that has disappeared in the news as quickly as their child died in Iraq.

You want Hollywood. You want drama, otherwise it's not newsworthy. You want sad + entertainment. You want drama or else it's not news anymore.

We'd be better off with Jim Henson directing the war in Iraq. At least that way there'd be less muppets involved...

[edit on 18-8-2005 by kegs]

new topics

join