It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMP proof vehicles?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Everyone knows what that a nuclear blast would render most modern vehicles useless due to the EMP pulse. But... what vehicles (military or civilian) are protect against EMP???

I read somewhere the Land Rover 101 would be ok due to the fact that it does not make use of ICB's... Is this true?

I was also wondering how the military protects its vehicles, radios, computers etc. against EMP.

Do they use lead shielding? Or just keep plenty of spare parts?

Thanks

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
M1A1 is, too. They use silicon carbide chips instead of the typical silicon microchips in the electronics and silicon carbide is immune to an EMP pulse. I have a friend who actually helped develop those chips while getting his PhD at the University of Mississippi and he's told me all about them. Very cool stuff!

A lot of military vehicles are going to be EMP proof, it seems, but silicon carbide is extremely expensive still, so the integration will probably be gradual.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I have found a EMP proof vehicle already in use:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
First, the best way to protect against EMP is to not use electronics at all. Smaller circuits are more prone to damage. Most older diesel engines require no electricity whatsoever to run, so an old Mercedes diesel, before the mid 80's, would survive just fine.

That said, equipment can be (and is) protected. Lead is not any better for shielding than any other metal (what matters is conductivity, not density).... Most "hardened" systems have some sort of metal shielding around very sensitive items, along with surge arresters to handle excess voltage from exposed circuits. They will also temporarily shut off automatically when an event is detected to prevent data corruption, and then restart.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I think it is more to make vehicles EMP resistant, then proof. YOu can make any vehicle EMP proof, but you lose a lot of the advatages moderan electorinics give you. Most combat units these days have at least a tesla 1 or 2 rating agaisnt EMP

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
This is fairly old news, and the technology has developed much farther and, as I said, most electronics in the M1A1 are now made out of silicon carbide. It is just as efficient if not moreso than current electronics, but is highly resistant to radiation and electromagnetic pulses.

I had to link to google's cached page because the actual site can't process the URL:

here

[edit on 8-19-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwars51
Most older diesel engines require no electricity whatsoever to run, so an old Mercedes diesel, before the mid 80's, would survive just fine.

wouldn't the starter, battery, electronic fuel injection and fuses be fried making the car inoperable

[edit on 19-8-2005 by warpboost]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost

wouldn't the starter, battery, electronic fuel injection and fuses be fried making the car inoperable

[edit on 19-8-2005 by warpboost]

The starter, yes. But most older diesels use mechanical, not electronic fuel injection. Once one is started, you can literally disconnect every wire and the engine will continue to run.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
i wonder what an EMP pulse looks like...**thinks back to tiberian sun**

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
for those who don't know anything about engines. Diesel engines do not require a spark to "ignite" the fuel, but compression. In fact, you could probly start a diesel engine with nothing but a crank if you set it up right.

Things like computers or other sensitive electronics are not that lucky

If you can see into the microwave band, you would probly be ableto see an EMP blast

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
An EMP pulse doesn't look like anything. If it was through a nuke, the shockwave would be visible as the air gets compressed as it expands and water immediately compresses creating a visible fog that expands from ground zero, but the EMP pulse is invisible to the human eye.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
I have found a EMP proof vehicle already in use:

Funny...
Well, yes... Some vechiles might be EMP safe... But there ain't many of them...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
never looked into it but not come to think of it your right

BUT another thing that i didnt see (it might have already been said)
is that alot of the older diesel vehicles dont need starters to... well... start just a steep slope mainly because they are all manual transmission

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   

The starter, yes. But most older diesels use mechanical, not electronic fuel injection. Once one is started, you can literally disconnect every wire and the engine will continue to run.

The starter would not be harmed.
starters have no IC circuitry in them

The only part in older cars(pre computer controlled cars) that might be harmed is a few with aftermarket voltage regulators on alternators and the diodes in the alternator.

The biggest part in what will be harmed by a EMP pulse is the antenna area of the electrical system.

Electric motors hooked to the power grid have a very large antenna area (many states 1000s of miles)and may die.

Cars have a very small antenna area and the starter motor is very unlikely to be hurt.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
So let's say a carborated engine... Is that more liekly to be operable in the event of EMP?

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Easy. Slap a Faraday cage around any critical components. Even if it didn't negate the pulse completely, it would mitigate it enough that it wouldn't disable the vehicle totally.

new topics

top topics

join