It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Thunderbirds vs. The Blue angels...

page: 3
0
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3



I meant this..starburst

[edit on 19-8-2005 by Daedalus3]


Nice pic... very nice... It looks really good...
So how is that tric performed...?




posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
..well I don't know the exact approach.. but I've seen it like this.. You approach the starburst point at a high altitude in a close formation...
At the point of starburst each pilot pitches down in a pre-determined direction and opens the display gas valves...
All jets bank in various directions and gradually level out at the same rate.. End result.. Star burst..!!



posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Well, it sure is a a hell of a nice move...



posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I used to be stationed at Traron-Ten (VT-10), Sherman Field, NAS Pensacola and the Blues were in the hangar next to us. I was there when the Blues flew A-4's and then went to the Hornet.
The Blues used to practice their whole routine every Wednesday, so we got pretty used to it. I also worked at the base supply and saw how many times the planes got "bent" during practices.
The time I was in Pensacola (1984-1987), the T-Birds would come up to Sherman Field every other year and have a "fly-off" against the Blues. It was strictly a professional courtesty-type thing and it was never advertised. It was like "here is what we do, what do you do?". The next year, the Blues would go up to Nellis and do the same thing. I do not know if this is still done.
The T-Birds did a really cool thing in '89. I was then stationed on CVN-68 (Nimitz) and we were some distance from San Diego. I had heard about 30 miles at sea, but can't say for sure. Anyway, the T-Birds were doing a show over San Diego and after they finished, they flew out to sea and did a private show for the Nimitz crew. It was an abbreviated form because they obviously didn't have landmarks to guide them in their show. They flew a KC-10 tanker out there too, and I will always remember it "waving" its boom up and down as a greeting.
Both the T-Birds and the Blues used to fly aircraft that could be made combat ready in a very short time. Their routines are similar because they are based off of basic combat maneuvers. Also, they don't fly shows in G-suits so that limits them as well. I don't think that either teams claim to be "best" but they both are highly professional flight teams that show their respectives services well.
I now live in Midland, Tx. Home of George W. Bush and the Commemorative Air Force (used to be Confederate Air Force). Both teams have been to our annual airshow and my aunt was appointed CAF liason to the Blues and T-Birds. She said the Blues were hardest to work with, attitude-wise and their ground demands were greater. Anyway, I have enjoyed many flight teams and I really enjoy our neighbors to the north-the Snowbirds!



posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by JungleMike
I used to be stationed at Traron-Ten (VT-10), Sherman Field, NAS Pensacola and the Blues were in the hangar next to us. I was there when the Blues flew A-4's and then went to the Hornet.
The Blues used to practice their whole routine every Wednesday, so we got pretty used to it. I also worked at the base supply and saw how many times the planes got "bent" during practices.
The time I was in Pensacola (1984-1987), the T-Birds would come up to Sherman Field every other year and have a "fly-off" against the Blues. It was strictly a professional courtesty-type thing and it was never advertised. It was like "here is what we do, what do you do?". The next year, the Blues would go up to Nellis and do the same thing. I do not know if this is still done.
The T-Birds did a really cool thing in '89. I was then stationed on CVN-68 (Nimitz) and we were some distance from San Diego. I had heard about 30 miles at sea, but can't say for sure. Anyway, the T-Birds were doing a show over San Diego and after they finished, they flew out to sea and did a private show for the Nimitz crew. It was an abbreviated form because they obviously didn't have landmarks to guide them in their show. They flew a KC-10 tanker out there too, and I will always remember it "waving" its boom up and down as a greeting.
Both the T-Birds and the Blues used to fly aircraft that could be made combat ready in a very short time. Their routines are similar because they are based off of basic combat maneuvers. Also, they don't fly shows in G-suits so that limits them as well. I don't think that either teams claim to be "best" but they both are highly professional flight teams that show their respectives services well.
I now live in Midland, Tx. Home of George W. Bush and the Commemorative Air Force (used to be Confederate Air Force). Both teams have been to our annual airshow and my aunt was appointed CAF liason to the Blues and T-Birds. She said the Blues were hardest to work with, attitude-wise and their ground demands were greater. Anyway, I have enjoyed many flight teams and I really enjoy our neighbors to the north-the Snowbirds!


That sounds really cool... Do you ahve any nice pics of them...?



posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
BTW, here are some of my pics that I took during their Show in "Kauhava"
The pics are about the Finnish team, the "Midnight Hawks"








posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Greetings bro FIN,
I'll dig into my box of memories and see what I have. I have some of the TBird "Nimitz" show but at Sherman Field, they didn't like us walking up to the flight-line and taking pics. I do have other Blues pics though. I'll see what I can find.

Regards!



posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Cool, thanks...
I'd love to see them...



posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I can't comment. I haven't seen the Thunderbirds. The Blue Angels were here in Seattle on the 4th of August. It's pretty much the same show so it gets kinda boring after a few years.



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Anybody in Chicago on Saturday for the airshow. The Thunderturds......oops I mean Thunderbirds gave an example of extreme close formation flying. It appears that two of them got a little too close and knocked the wingtip Sidewinder rail off into Lake Michigan.


Tbird Fenderbender



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
Anybody in Chicago on Saturday for the airshow. The Thunderturds......oops I mean Thunderbirds gave an example of extreme close formation flying. It appears that two of them got a little too close and knocked the wingtip Sidewinder rail off into Lake Michigan.


Tbird Fenderbender


I was there, a missle rack fell off. After the 350 mph hit. The Birds where canceled for the rest of the weekend.
I took some pics, most are far away I will post the couple of good ones. Most are from my roof, 29th floor.



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   





















Here are the best pictures I could take with what i was working with.



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Nice pictures. I spent an afternoon once crawling thru a KC-10. I got the crew chief's tour including getting to watch while they did and inspection. I don't know what the Air Force calls the inspection but the Navy called it a "daily" inspection. You got some good ones of the S-3 Vikings too. That is a slick airplane. Uses the same engines as the A-10.



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
yeah, nice pics, if you could only resize them a bit...



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I did resize them, the where twice the size. I never know how small to go.

Thanks for looking.



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Two times the original size...? what kind of a super camera do you have...?


[edit on 22-8-2005 by Figher Master FIN]



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I used the sony cyber-shot.

[edit on 22-8-2005 by SpittinCobra]



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
The thin model...
yeah i like it... isn't it aout 5.1 megapixels...?



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
The thin model...
yeah i like it... isn't it aout 5.1 megapixels...?


Yes, thats the one. I wish it had beter zoom. It is 5.0 megapixel. The brand new one might be 5.1. There is one model newer than this one.



posted on Aug, 22 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Cool, so it's this camera...?




new topics

top topics



 
0
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join