It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's what Republicans said about Clinton and Kosovo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I've heard many comments from the right about the lack of support for the war and how Liberals must hate America. I heard them say it is nonsense to compare it to Vietnam and to call Bush or anyone else war criminals over the war in Iraq. It is also wrong to demand a timetable for withdrawal of troops but back in 1999 the Republicans who are currently supporting the war in Iraq made all of those comments about the war in Kosovo.

This is a partial sampling of comments made by some very familiar names expressing radically different views than they currently express.

I wonder what made them hate America back then.

Here's what Republicans said about Clinton and Kosovo

"President Clinton is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation's armed forces about how long they will be
away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy."
-Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA)

"Explain to the mothers and fathers of American servicemen that may come home in body bags why their son or daughter have to give up their life?"
-Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/6/99

"I had doubts about the bombing campaign from the beginning...I didn't think we had done enough in the diplomatic area."
-Senator Trent Lott (R-MS)

"You think Vietnam was bad? Vietnam is nothing next to Kosovo."
-Tony Snow, Fox News 3/24/99

"I cannot support a failed foreign policy. History teaches us that it is often easier to make war than peace. This administration is just learning that lesson right now. The President began this mission with very vague objectives and lots of unanswered questions. A month later, these questions are still unanswered. There are no clarifiedrules of engagement. There is no timetable. There is no legitimate definition of victory. There is no contingency plan for mission creep. There is no clear funding program. There is no agenda to bolster our overextended military. There is no explanation defining what vital national interests are at stake. There was no strategic plan for war when the President started this thing, and there still is no plan today"
-Representative Tom Delay (R-TX)

Bombing a sovereign nation for ill-defined reasons with vague objectives undermines the American stature in the world. The international respect and trust for America has diminished every time we casually let the bombs fly."
-Representative Tom Delay (R-TX)

"These international war criminals were led by Gen. Wesley Clark ...who clicked his shiny heels for the commander-in-grief, Bill Clinton."
-Michael Savage

"It is a remarkable spectacle to see the Clinton Administration and NATO taking over from the Soviet Union the role of sponsoring "wars of national liberation."
-Representative Helen Chenoweth (R-ID)

[edit on 18-8-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Funny how Clinton was screwing around in Kosovo while people were attacking our national interests and plotting against us completely unfettered... :shk:

Anyway, I do agree the statements are a bit hypocritical.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
There wasn't a ground war in Kosovo & Metohija. After 78 days of high altitude bombardment a deal was reached: Resolution 1244. The borders of Serbia remain intact but UN troops are allowed in to administer the province. The bombing was prompted by a fake massacre which the corrupt Finnish forensics "experts" didn't dare admit publicly. In other words a mini dress rehearsal for some bigger lies like WMD and Iraq. Israel owns both the Republicans and Democrats. You think Kerry would have withdrawn the troops had he won? Think again.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
nice post
a very good example of the politics of politics. history does repeat itself.
what will the politicians do now, that it seems like 'terrorists' are coming back to bosnia..or did they never leave? we can't trust the truthfullness of our politicians. they say what they want to justify ANY action they want to take....so how do we know when they tell the truth...or...does that never happen??

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
yep politicians on boths sides tends to declare wenever both parties are in control of the executive power they would try to compare Vietnam to the actions against a specific country. Democrats during Vietnam, Republicans for Iraq. so we pretty much should not listen to the politicians who want to compare Iraq or Kosovo to Vietnam since they are so different. its just a scare tactic to use against a President in hopes of winning the next election.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
What I find amusing is that Congress votes on all these conflicts and then the other party turns around and places the blame on who is in office. Democrats voted for Iraq just like Republicans but for some reason they all the sudden are the biggest critics. Same goes for your quotes above, Republicans voted and then criticized. If voters actually researched candidates and held them liable for their voting record you might be surprised what conflicts would never get started. But instead people vote on what the candidates are campaigning on at the time.

new topics

top topics

join