It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here to Stay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
This is a rant about the changing world we live in.

First off this is absolutely the dumbest article I have ever read about gas prices etc.

Disgusted by high gas prices yet? Take a number. Westman motorists watched with horror Monday as pump prices in Brandon shattered the buck-a-litre barrier as they moved from 97.9 cents per litre to $1.039.

Governments should charge more, not less, tax on gasoline if they are ever going to change people’s habits for the better. In Europe, gas prices have long been in the stratosphere and it has encouraged people to walk, bike, ride buses and live closer together.

Beyond that, gas tax needs to be there so governments can repair our roads. While it would be nice if a certain provincial government would cough up a little bit more to build a new bridge on 18th Street, fix the potholes on Brandon’s major roads and twin Highway 10, the reality is it won’t be able to do any of that without fuel tax.

Granted, people will argue high fuel prices will break people who live in rural Manitoba. That’s why they should receive some sort of rebate on gasoline, provided they can prove they rely heavily on fuel for their livelihoods, as a farmer would need to.

www.brandonsun.com...

This reporter is living in a fantasy world. Canada is not small. My nearest neighbour is miles away. Should I take the subway? Oh ill walk. I live 60 miles from a city.

What do we need money to fix roads if we cant afford to drive? Obviously this person thinks the money should go to fix roads.

They talk about fuel rebates for rural people. I live in Saskatchewan, and yes we farm. We DO have a fuel rebate program. Guess what, it got slashed.

Now people are only allowed so much fuel, and then they have to prove how much extra they will need. They dont want to give it to us, believe me on that one.

Might as well just quit farming at these prices by the way.

Now on with the thread, the prices are here to stay. I believe the days of "cheap gas" are gone. While we may consider some prices cheap in the future, it wont be like the past.

Every day you see gas price stories. And its all over the world now.

www.cbc.ca...

Its hitting Canada hard now. What do the politicians think?

Quebec Finance Minister Michel Audet said he can't afford to reduce gas taxes because the government loses $22 million when the price increases by five cents per litre.

In Nova Scotia, Premier John Hamm admitted he's not happy with the government's policy of double-taxing fuel, but refused to discontinue the practice.

Finance Minister Ralph Goodale said Wednesday there are no easy answers to the problem of soaring prices at the pumps. "The dilemma is, there is not an easy way to make sure if governments, either federal or provincial, were to change their tax structures, would that actually result in money in the pockets of consumers?" he said in Regina.

Goodale was responding to criticism by Conservative Leader Stephen Harper, who has accused Ottawa of profiting from high gasoline prices, claiming it could easily reduce the cost by up to five cents a litre.

Source

It doesnt look good. So why are we paying so much in Canada when we have such vast resources RIGHT HERE?

Why is the United States so interested in our oil now?

U.S. Treasury Secretary John Snow was there in early July at the invitation of Canadian Finance Minister Ralph Goodale, and returned apparently impressed by the scope of existing production and its potential for the future. Officials are also trying to convince U.S. Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman to come have a look.

"With billions of barrels of potential oil there, people are starting to stake out their ground," said Frank Verrastro, a former oil executive, top government energy official and now director of the energy program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington.

So what do all these people, Cheney included, need to see in Canada?

What has changed about the fact that we have oil, in the last few decades?

Do you still not think there is a problem?

The prices are here to stay.

End of rant.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Only a blind person cannot see that we have come to the plateau of the oil peak and it is here to stay. No one can honestly say that the days of $1 US/gallon gas will ever come back. I would try and get over the political aspects of this and also learn to be flexible on how you live your life. In a few years, the prices now will seem cheap.

Besides, the US will be getting a lot of flak from the world in the near future as it tries to isolate and control oil resources. Other countries will eventually take a stronger stance on us and we won't have the ability to dictate our agendas as much. Our military may be the most advanced, but it is stretched thin and cannot push our policies on a worldwide scale. Unfortunately, I doubt the Canadian government would do very much in the way of getting in our way when it comes to the US pursuing Canadian energy resources. Better get used to it or else start an uprising. I feel for ya though.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I remember reading somewhere or hearing it on the news that the main reason the demand isn't being met is cause the US got lazy basically.

they were talking about its been 20 or more years sence we made a refinery that contributed to the global need. (*don't quote me on this going off memory and I'm getting old so lol.*)

I know that china supposedly is consuming a crap load more than they used to and that the world in general is consuming around 3-5 times what it normally does, but we still have alot of oil left,

and don't forget, they had some nice results with the gas/electric and the straight electric test runs they did in phoenix around 4-5 years ago....

we have many more ways to power our vehicles, just they are being hindered cause of our dependancy upon oil......

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I believe taht this thread already has been posted, so if the mods could close this thread we all would be greatfull...

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
I believe taht this thread already has been posted, so if the mods could close this thread we all would be greatfull...

You have two concepts in peak oil. Peak oil is here, peak oil is not here.

Theres only so much you can discuss in this section.

This is not a general comment thread, as I brought up new issues and articles.

top topics

join