It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War In Iraq worst-handled war ever

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
I'd be real careful about making such a statement. It's not that the Americans want to lose the war, it's more that they don't know what it means to win or lose a war. They don't know the consequences of winning or losing, and they don't get the smaller picture of what it means to simply throw in the towel, so to speak, and leave Iraq.

Basically, Americans don't have a grasp on what war is, nor do they understand the concept of what exactly war does. You can blame that on our government and the media.

I agree in the sense that a lot Americans don't think about the consequences of losing. However, I stick to my statement that a large population of Americans - especially those that demonstrate a genuine dislike of the US - would GENUINLY like to lose this war. They care little for the ramifications of it due to their self loathing feeling; They just want the US to fail.

Honestly, I just wish Americans would understand America is not a democracy, it's a federal republic, and we can do anything we want, but we can't sway the president's opinion. If he says we go to war, we go to war. No nation has gone to war because the people say so. Get behind it, win the damn war, and we'll kick him out of office then and start over. But nothing gets in the way of winning the war. That's the way I see it.

I couldn't agree more with those two statements.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Sweet Jesus, stop all the whinning

I distinctly remember President Bush on the deck of a ship with a big banner behind him saying MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Everything now is just mopping up.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Honestly, I just wish Americans would understand America is not a democracy, it's a federal republic, and we can do anything we want, but we can't sway the president's opinion.

True, democracy means every person has a vote in all the issues the government faces.

Federal Republic, in a nutshell as I remember, means that the elected officials make our decisions in our best interest.

If he says we go to war, we go to war.

I'll have to look into this a little more, but from what I understand a President can't use the military for more than 30 days without congressional approval. He can't wage war without congress declaring war...

Then again, with Iraq, there's no one to declare against.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I got home from Iraq a few months ago. Let me tell you that the Iraqi's are very caring and glad to be free. I would have no problem walking amongst them. Terrorists are inviting fear amongst them as they would here in the US if you went to a mall and were blown up. We cannot and I would never promote just leaving them. NOPE no way.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Iraq is a mess, plain and simple. However, there have been many wars, Vietnam for example, that are much better examples of a poorly planned war. The invasion of Iraq was brilliant, but the post-war planning was all but nonexistant. Iraq has become a vacuum of terrorisism and the civilian casualties continue to mount, and in my opinion, America is in a lose lose situation. Staying in Iraq is costly and is tying up a substantial part of the military and leaving Iraq would send a message of failure and leave Iraq open to the hands of radicals/crazies. We really had no business there in the first place.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Well the war was executed extremely well, it was over pretty damn quick.

As for the 'after' war, well there were a few surprises. All in all , it has went well when you consider the big picture and not the body counts. If you look at what the goal is, it is looking better and better from the strategic point of view.

A democracy in the Middle East, one with the $$$ and the Oil to help shape the Middle East of the 21st Century.

One thing to keep in mind, the Japanese still remember how the US treated them after WWII and they are staunch allies to this day. The Germans however remain suspect to some degree, especially with the younger generation.

Iraqi's will remember that American blood was shed for their freedom. It was the only country in the Middle East in which a democracy had a flying fart chance, and SoDamnInsane had to go....PERIOD.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join