It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawaii to secede from the United States??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Native Hawaiians Seek Self-governing Body
Sen. Akaka quote: Bill Could Mean Eventual Independence for Hawaiians
By National Public Radio, 8/17/2005 8:22:38 AM

Editor's Note: Here is the complete National Public Radio transcript from Aug. 16, 2005 with Anchor Steve Inskeep, Reporter Martin Kaste and various guests.

This is MORNING EDITION from NPR News. I'm Steve Inskeep.

Congress is considering legislation that would give native Hawaiians their own government. It would essentially grant them political status similar to that of Native American tribes. Here's NPR's Martin Kaste.

Mr. KANAHELE: They never thought that Hawaiians would take the road to restoring their independence. Well, what do you expect? You just admitted to a crime -- Right? -- the crime of the overthrow. KASTE: After the congressional apology, Kanahele says, native Hawaiians started to think seriously about independence, and he says the Akaka Bill is an attempt to divert natives toward more tribal-style sovereignty.

In Washington, the bill's prospects are unclear. The House passed a version back in 2000, but in the Senate, the bill has been stuck in an open-ended debate. Leaders say they'll try to get a vote on the legislation in September. The Justice Department has recommended a few changes, such as a safeguard for the U.S. military presence on the island, something the bill's supporters see as a positive step. They believe it means the White House is willing to accept some version of native Hawaiian self-government.

Independence for Hawaiians

Well I say if South Carolina can do it again then why not? If the members are not happy then, they should have that right. I am not really sure about this one.

Texas still has the right to split into "5" states, so that means 10 Senators, I mean this is getting bad. THe Political Correctness must STOP!

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I listened to Rush go on about this yesterday... First he's saying that they shouldn't separate and have no right too, then he basically said the opposite without even knowing it.

Since they were there before we were, they are indigenous people... So why should anyone care if their congress is made up of all hawaiian's?

Why would they want non-indegenous people to have a say in their politics? They want a soverign nation let it be.

Rush even said yesterday whlie he spilled the beans without knowing he was doing it, was that the european's who came over here and started to colonize went to hawaii and told them they were to be part of the america's.

Europeans came here and took the land away from the indian's and called themselves the new world of the america's, and now hawaiian's want to break away from that and be their own nation... What's the harm?

Just because you would be minus a state, that shouldn't trump their reasons for wanting to be soverign.

Maybe they see something we don't??

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
Rush even said yesterday whlie he spilled the beans without knowing he was doing it, was that the european's who came over here and started to colonize went to hawaii and told them they were to be part of the america's.

I think his view of history is incorrect.
The Europeans weren't in charge of the US in the 1890's when Hawaii was annexed.
The US was already independent.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Happened in Canada.

Nunavut -- "our land" in the Inuktitut language - has been home to Inuit for millennia and part of Canada for more than a century. Embracing both traditional knowledge and values and the new opportunities presented by technologies like the Internet, the Government of Nunavut now provides a wide range of services tailored to the unique needs of approximately 29,500 residents.

www.gov.nu.ca...

Also, Quebec tried to secede for like what? Twenty some years?

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
And both shoudl if they want to ... It's their right as both were there first before the british colonized what we call canada..
Canada is actually an indian name Kanata, meaning the 'villiage' ... The village was there before Canada ... And because today's Canadian's don't want them to part ways because it just wouldn't be a whole country without them, is selfish... How can they not understand the desire to be free from the colony that they didn't even agree to in the first place? Quebec is still french, the culture is still there, the language, ect... If they were to secede from the country I believe they woudl be ok... I do think they would become strong partners with france, and oh well... to each his own.. Everybody has their opinions good or bad about other countries but those opinions shouldn't get in the way of other people's decision making if they want to separate or not...
Those poor inuit's up north were shipped up there a hundred and some years ago because they were indian.. Shipped up there like cattles and left to fend for themselves in the desolute ice sheet. But they did it...
Who are we to say again that these people have no right to claim their independance from a people who treated them with little to no respect but are trying to make it up to them now with #ty programs and handouts?

Uncooth.

ed to remove unneccessary quoting of entire previous post

[edit on 18-8-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
This certainly isn't anything close to secession from the United States, it would just grant some autonomy to some native groups like what's given to some Indian Tribes...but most native Hawaiians don't even want it!

I think it's another example of political correctness run amok.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I think it's another example of political correctness run amok.

excuse me?

We in the South tried that about 150 years ago and it didnt turn out very good.

I dont think the Government will let them sucede but it sounds more like the same thing the Tribes have iin Oklahoma

[edit on 18-8-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Doubt it would happen. If yes is said to one state then we could have run on the bank so to speak. Of course, if Texas would like to go, that would be fine.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by anniejhops Of course, if Texas would like to go, that would be fine.

Thats not what I said, they have the RIGHT to split into 5 states. I know it wont happen because they could never settle on who gets the Alamo.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I would have no problem with it I mean its not like they don't have a point.
I mean they were illegally invaded and annexed by the US.

Also since the movement for independence has been around for at least a hundred years I would hardly consider this an example political correctness run amok.

If the people of Hawaii want to secede they should be allowed to its not like they voted to join the union in the first place. Of course therein lies the sticky part a large portion of hawaii's population is not native to the region and would have an equal say in the matter. Its the equivalent of New Yorkers moving enmasse to Wyoming transforming a Red State into a Blue state. So realistically I don't see secession happening any time soon.

I think autonomy should be granted to the native hawaiians in compromise the same way it was granted to America's mainland natives. Its only fair.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman

I think autonomy should be granted to the native hawaiians in compromise the same way it was granted to America's mainland natives. Its only fair.

The sky is falling..........

I actuallt agree with him.

new topics

top topics

join