It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anybody read any of these books?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I was interested in weather anyone has read these books or any of these books and what they think about them, i personally have not read all of them but im interested in your opinions

george orwell,

animal farm...

Micheal Moore,

stupid white men...

j.d salinger,

the catcher in the rye...

jospeh heller,

catch 22...

aldous huxley,

brave new world...

gil smith,

hidden agenda...

[Edited on 30-8-2003 by The Blade Runner]

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I've read 1984 and Stupid White men, both very good books.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 12:13 PM
link   
ive read, 1984 and a little bit of stupid white men......

i thought 1984 was brilliant allmost way ahead of its time... a lot of lessons can be learned from it i think..

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I've read 1984, and Animal Farm (which I had to study for my CSE in English Lit, over 20 yrs ago)

blackwidow

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   
ive only read about 30 pages from the about 112 pages that animal farm is i know there is no excuse i should read it tonight....

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 12:52 PM
link   
It is a good book Blade Runner, and my son has got to read it for part of his studies at school now. Amazing to think that they keep going back to the same books at school, for kids to study and take exams with..

blackwidow

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 12:56 PM
link   
yeah i know a few older people who studyed it at school, i never got the chance to do it at school... it wasnt in the curriculum... which is a shame....

oh well.....

i was wondering is there any well know similier books to 1984 apart from brave new world which is supposidly similier...

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Catcher in the Rye and Animal farm read here.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I've read 1984 and Brave New World.

There are some similarities, as they are both based on the same idea of a totalitarian government having control over the smallest parts of your private lives.

In 1984, it was largely governed by fear and fascist intrusions into peoples private lives.

In Brave New World, there was the same level of control and intrusion into peoples private lives, but it was better accepted due to indoctrination and chemical dependency. (Was the first place I ever heard of the drug Soma).

Both are good books, and both should be looked at as warnings... because we are rapidly approaching these lifestyles as we speak...

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Catcher in th rye - ho hum... 1950's teenage angst

Stupid white men - well written but parts have been revealed as fiction

Catch 22 - YES! Awesome book
I love it having read it a number of times.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 03:05 PM
link   
ive heard a theory that certain interpretations of the catcher in the rye... say there is code in the book???

top topics

join