It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Books that should be turned into films

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Some books are just begging to be made into films!

While some big name things like Artemis Fowl are i the pipe line there are loads of books that could make the jump to the big screen.

Id love to see films made out of Fallen Dragon by Peter F Hamilton, The Hobbit has potential. I'd also love to see some of the Star Wars books made into films, especially the Rogue Squadron series, definate potential for some good action films there.

Any other books people would love to see on the big screen?

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Well... two books that I have wanted for a long time, are finally being made. The Hobbit is being made into as movie, and The DaVinci Code is coming out soon. Besides that, I don't really know of any other books, as of yet, that I would like to see be turned into a movie.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I'm semi-excited about the da Vinci Code... It was an awesome book and all, but yet I fear that they may have ruined it... I'm so tired of seeing awesome books turned into crappy movies... I think if you can't do it justice, don't do it at all...

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   
The DaVinci code was terrible, but all Dan Brown books seem to be written as films anyway, so it may translate well.

Now if they can fix the story it could be great...

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I'd like to see Chuch Palahniuk's "Choke" turned into a movie.

Can't see it happening though.

The last I heard Darren Aronofsky wanted to buy the rights, but nothing has happened as yet.

I've even got my ideal cast written down

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The chronicles of Galen Sword by Richard and Lynda La Plante would make an excellent sci film series.

The problem is too many film directors stray away from the story and put their own interrpretaion on it usually to the detriment of the film/story.

[edit on 18-8-2005 by keldas]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
i would like to see "crime and punishment" made as a movie...

it might be boring as it is almost all talking, but it shows how a man feels and what he does after commiting a murder...

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
The Oxford English Dictionary.

Seriously, though.

Ringworld, by Larry Niven.

Gateway, by Frederick Pohl.

[edit on 18-8-2005 by Junkheap]

[edit on 18-8-2005 by Junkheap]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
All of Lawrence Block's novels would make good movies.

Unfortunately, every one they have 'moviefied' has been an absolute disaster and he should stop selling his books to Hollywood.

Examples: Burglar & Eight Million Ways to Die (I didn't even recognize Burglar as being based on the Bernie Rhodenbarr series, that's how badly they ruined a great book)

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Both the J.D. RObb In Death Series and the Patricia Cornwell Kay Scarpetta Series. And I don't mean how Grisham books are "made" where they use the title of the book and thats about it. The Runaway Jury book/movie are nothing like each other.

Except both of my series books would probably be R+ or NC-17 due to sex and graphic violence, blood, gore, especially the KS series where she routinly(sp?) does autopsy and stuff.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
The DaVinci code was terrible, but all Dan Brown books seem to be written as films anyway, so it may translate well.

Now if they can fix the story it could be great...

What part of the story would you want fixed??? I thought that the story itself, as a fiction work, was great. However, I had a few discrepancies otherwise.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The awful characters really, so one dimensional. And the ludicrous habit of shocking revelations being prevented by the authors inability to create suspense, requiring him to jump around at random.

Sorry, im rambling, i really, really hated that book!

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The forge of god by greg bear

I love any book where almost everyone dies at the end. But seriously fish this is one spectacular book and would make a great movie.

[edit on 18-8-2005 by mauidean]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
How about "Tell No One" by Harlan Coben? I think that'd make a good flick.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I think Neil Gaiman is an amazing writer. I think that they should make movies based on "Good Omens" and "American Gods". I think that they should also re-do "Neverwhere" don't get me wrong the BBC version was good, but I think Hollywood could do it a little better.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Ken Follet's book Pillars of the Earth should, in my hopeful opinion, be made into a film. Known for his suspense novels, Ken Follet threw everyone a curve with this massively rich epic novel centered in the nearly mythical pre-medievil time period. Stone cutters, builders of churches, political intrigue and a glimpse into the lives of ordinary people of that day, this book is a history-buffs dream. There are no dragons, no ogres or fairies. This book is about life and but one chapter into how things are as they are today.

I couldn't even begin to suggest a cast for any such film only that I would hope Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt or nowhere near Hollywood when the casting call comes.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I agree that the Da Vinci book sucked the big one (can I say that on here?) My opinion is most great books should just stay books as not be turned into films as they are often disappointments.

Here is one that might be OK translated to the big screen because of its subject matter:

Zombie by Joyce Carol Oats - Makes American Psycho look like a walk in the park

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The Subtle Knife, I really enjoyed that book!

Apart from that I don't know about any books that should be turned into movies

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'd like to see the Lensman series made into a movie. They made a crap anime version a while ago, and apparently it had very little to do with the book. But I think a trilogy or something taken from the books would be really great! The original space opera, on screen!

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I'd like to see Michael Crichton's book Prey made into a movie. i think it would make a great film. Looking forward to the da Vinci code and the Hobbit as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join