It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: California Law Would Require Lifetime Tracking Devices For Sex Offenders

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Backed by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger two new bills in the legislature would require sex offenders to wear an electronic tracking device for the rest of thier lives. The bills would also increase punishment which would give the state some of the strictest laws. Schwarzenegger has threatened to take the measures to the public if the Democrat controlled legislature did not pass the bills. many of the provisions have failed in line item votes.

www.sfgate.com
Sacramento -- Tens of thousands of California sex offenders would be forced to wear electronic tracking devices for the rest of their lives under two new bills backed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

The bills, which also would boost punishment for a wide range of sex offenses, "will give California the strictest laws and the toughest penalties for the worst crimes,'' he said Tuesday. "We want these criminals off the streets and away from our schools and children.''

The governor's Capitol news conference turned up the heat on the Democratic-led Legislature, where many of the measures contained in the bills have died in party-line committee votes.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I would support these bills if it came up as a public vote. The repeat offense rate of these offenders is great and there is no way to protect the general public. This is especially the case if the offenses are directed at children. I was horrified by the proximity of paroled offenders to my house and was even more shocked when I saw how close they were to schools and parks. Tracking them may not prevent all of the re-offenses, but a log could help in missing children cases like the ones in Florida.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I don't know how to make this into a longer post... I just want to say that this is a good idea. One who's time has come.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Well, if they're not going to remove these predator permanently I guess this is the only logical solution.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I'm all for it. And I just know there will be somebody who starts a campaign saying it violates their rights... but what about the human rights of their victims? This could be a great help in finding missing persons if the tracking devices keep a real time log of their whereabouts.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberianHusky
I'm all for it. And I just know there will be somebody who starts a campaign saying it violates their rights... but what about the human rights of their victims? This could be a great help in finding missing persons if the tracking devices keep a real time log of their whereabouts.

What about those wrongfully convicted? The error of conviction in cases involving sexual abuse is pretty high and for someone to have to go through a prison sentence for something he/she didn't do, and then this, seems pretty exorbitant. That's why if a law like this comes into passage at all, it should be for those with multiple convictions.

However, even then I think it's an invasion of privacy. These people can start over. Regardless of how much pain their victims suffer/suffered, the goal of the prison system shouldn't be to punish people but rather to change them into good members of society. Punishing is just an expression of emotion that only leads to more pain in the prisoner's life and friend's/family's/ life, but reforming them into good members of society is the logical thing to do.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I applaud the effort... but the slope is slippery. What's next? Subcutaneous RFID-like implants and tracking of everyone from orbit? Alien "gold" chips for all?
Republican chip? Dem chip? Chistian chip? Real mark of the beast stuff.
Please remember that the tatooing of Jews was seen by many as a measure to improve pulbic safety and security within Nazi Germany... Hmm. Where was that Governor mentioned born again?
Isn't "slipping" a bracelet and going renegade just as dangerous (same perp) and more likely with such a statute?
I say wouldn't it be more humane just to Gulag offenders in perpetuity?
3 strike style.
Sounds no more dangerous than being a visiting worker in Britian...
Or being a Canadian on training manouvers in Afganistan with Yanks on "Go" pills covering the high ground with JDAM equipped F16's?
I really like America - and Americans - I just don't want to go there anymore. Been there - done that - got the Chinese manufactured T-shirt.
Sort of just outlived its' overt usefulness as a society of progess.
Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I would have to see a lot more details about any such proposed law before I could support it. If this is just to apply to repeat offenders then I could go along with it, but if sex offenders are so incorrigible that they can't be trusted in society then kill them and get it over with. Seems to me there have been an awful lot of wrongful convictions in this area of the law though.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Another thing to consider that I dont believe many people know is that before this case the individual being tracked is the person paying for the service. If they are going to start tracking these guys for life, and they decide they dont have the means to pay for it, im thinking the bil for this tracking will be paid by the taxpayer. I dont know about you in California, but I dont want the taxes of my hard earned money going to crap like this anymore. If there was a bill like this in my state I would definetly not vote for it.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Yeah, if I remember right we actually had a supermod here who railed against the idea that convicted sexual molesters might have to carry a stigma for the rest of their lives. To that I respond:

YEP! The needs of the many out-weigh the needs of the few. The protection of the innocent out-weigh the liberties of the predator.

How many devastating stories of children being kidnapped, raped and murdered by repeat sexual predators do we have to endure before the thick-skulled people of this world realize that there are TRULY BAD PEOPLE out there wanting nothing but to rape and bludgeon to death, or bury alive, your child.

Screw you if you don't get that's something that needs to be shut down at all costs. AT ALL COSTS. Our children must be protected from murderers and predators.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I really would need to read up more on this to say whether I am for it or not. My initial reaction is to say "yes"; but I would like to know all the ins and outs of the posible law before I state my opinion of yes or no. If it only would be used against violent, mutliple time offenders, or first time offenders whose crime is so violent that it results in the childs death (and for some unknown reason that person doesn't get locked away for life or the death penalty), then I would agree with it's usage; and I would definitley say yes to it. When it comes to children its not worth risking one on the chance that someone may get better.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
How many devastating stories of children being kidnapped, raped and murdered by repeat sexual predators do we have to endure before the thick-skulled people of this world realize that there are TRULY BAD PEOPLE out there wanting nothing but to rape and bludgeon to death, or bury alive, your child.

Screw you if you don't get that's something that needs to be shut down at all costs. AT ALL COSTS. Our children must be protected from murderers and predators.

Sounds like a good add to get you kid chipped.

Coming soon.. stayed tooned for a kid being chipped near you.

This I dont agree with becaise if they gets some type of implant its wrong.. which sooner or later will be the case, because its not exspensive.

I dont agree with what these people did or will do but they are people to.

And if you dont think the chips are coming they are having people get chipped to have medical records inside them, so we are not to far off from seeing adds on TV/radio or whatever to get your kids chipped.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I think that the cost of a bullet would be cheaper in the long run.

No more worry about a repeat offence.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
What about those wrongfully convicted? The error of conviction in cases involving sexual abuse is pretty high and for someone to have to go through a prison sentence for something he/she didn't do, and then this, seems pretty exorbitant. That's why if a law like this comes into passage at all, it should be for those with multiple convictions.

However, even then I think it's an invasion of privacy. These people can start over. Regardless of how much pain their victims suffer/suffered, the goal of the prison system shouldn't be to punish people but rather to change them into good members of society. Punishing is just an expression of emotion that only leads to more pain in the prisoner's life and friend's/family's/ life, but reforming them into good members of society is the logical thing to do.

^ ^ Posted earlier

But also, think of the implications. I know of a man that will be listed as a sex offender for the rest of his life because when he has 17, he made out with his 14 year old girlfriend at a party, who was considered underage. That happened when cops busted the party. As obvious bull# the case is, should he wear an electronic tracking device inside him for the rest of his life?

Should I, if i choose to slap a woman's ass on the street
, be tagged?

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded

Sounds like a good add to get you kid chipped.

Coming soon.. stayed tooned for a kid being chipped near you.

This I dont agree with becaise if they gets some type of implant its wrong.. which sooner or later will be the case, because its not exspensive.

I dont agree with what these people did or will do but they are people to.

And if you dont think the chips are coming they are having people get chipped to have medical records inside them, so we are not to far off from seeing adds on TV/radio or whatever to get your kids chipped.

Who said anything about my kid being chipped? Pull your head out for Pete's sake. Now if somebody suggests chipping a predator - I'm all for it.

[edit on 8-17-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
If you put a bullet between the Baby-rapers eyes you will know where he is at too, right?

I think tracking them is the LEAST they should do

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Ok everyone listen, those who support just killing these assholes and being done with it good. Those who think they should be tracked, hey whatever. If you really want to solve the problem, they are registered as sex offendors and can actually be found becuase their home addresses are listed. Why wait for them to strike again while being tracked and then put to death? Make a list, creep out into the night and do some good for society by offing these guys yourself. There are better thins our tax dollars can go to, like petiotioning for a state to install solar panels for all the street lights on the roads. That # can save ALOT of money by bringing us cheaper energy and even gas prices as a result of less energy being used by these things.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The label should only stay as long as this person remains a "predator."

If the person truely changes his ways, has made up sufficiently for his errors, and becomes a contributing and welcome member of society, then the label will only suppress an otherwise valuable member of society. It should then be removed.

For example, the alcoholic should never have the label "alcoholic" held over his head years after he has allready defeated his weakness.

This in no way says being a sexual predator is acceptable, not at all. These actions cannot go unchecked. But this does say people can and do change.

Troy

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
In spite of the public lynching attitude towards this I am also against lifetime electronic tracking of all convicted offenders for the following reasons. Our prison system is not perfect. I've heard that out of so many thousands of convictions there is going to be a certain percentage that is innocent (guy looked like someone else, mixups, jury out to nail anyone who vaguely met the description).

If God will spare an entire city from destruction for the sake of 100 or just 10 people, then I don't believe it would be right to punish those who are innocent for their entire lives. Then there are some people who get convicted of being a non violent sexual predator and it's simply a matter such as two people had consensual sex but the guy was 18 while the girl was 1 or 2 years younger and they are now married but he has to wear the label for life now. It could be the case of a college streaker who got convicted of indecent exposure and is now considered a sexual predator just for that. Someone else may have been falsely accused and convicted by an evil girl who cried rape because she didn't want her parents to know she had sex willingly.

I don't care for cookie cutter justice. If people really want this, maybe they should just save some money and have actual lynchings and kill some innocent people in the process much like the witch hunts in the earlier days of the US. I'm not for it and I don't want to place myself as being a better judge than God is and say its ok if we kill a few innocents or ruin their lives just because it makes me feel better. Apparently many people don't care if the innocent or non violent people are hurt in their zeal to track the guilty.

True violent sexual predators are evil but so is this idea of going after everyone whether they are violent or peaceful IMO. I've read about someone who got convicted of indecent exposure and it could have been as simple as streaking in college and they are now listed as a sexual predator as a result. Going after everyone with that label for life is not right in my opinion.

[edit on 18-8-2005 by orionthehunter]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
At first glance it sounds like a pretty good idea & probably less expensive than paying for their room & board the rest of their lives.

The real problem I see here is: First it's the sexual deviants, then the thieves, then DWI (DUI) convicts, and pretty soon they start handing them out if you get more than 3 speeding tickets in a year etc.

Just think instead of a static neighborhood map with an X(icon) marking the location of where the x-con sleeps we could click on a map of our neighborhood on the internet & see live locations of their movements. The general public would see black x's for sex-con's, purple ones for dopers, & maybe green ones DWI-Cons. The police & government personal would move their mouse pointer over the X and a list of that persons life record along with last 10k gps movements of 50 feet or greater. Just think they wouldn't even have to check your credit card receipts to see where you shopped. Of course eventually there would be white X's for everyone else.

1984 here we come. Besides if Arnold would watch his own movie "Total Recall" he would know that anyone that didn't want to be tracked would remove the tracking device at any cost -Duh.

Originally posted by Valhall

We are responsible for creating the predators as they are programmed by our wonderful media that makes sex objects out of girls & women. It's a known fact that many of the deaths of children are a result of our over zealous criminal justice system. The predators kill in order remove the only witness of the crime, because they know the penalty for getting caught will likely put them away for most of the rest of their lives. It's the reality that most refuse to look at or are too angry about the nature of the subject to clearly see the truth. As long as we continue the ignorant path were on, we will see predators continue to be created & more deaths as a result of the witch hunt.

[edit on 18-8-2005 by outsider]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Tagging won't work for the simple reason that a whole criminal industry will be built up around breaking the tag. And they will succeed. NB you don't have to necessarily physically break the tag you could block the signal on the tag and fake it from a remote location. That way the criminal can commit any crime they like and their alibi is the state tag!!

Here in Britain a gang beat up a guy for being a Paedophile. Great I can hear the calls, just what he deserves etc etc except he was actually a pediatrician...DUH!

What happens when a wrongly convicted person is beaten to death and then subsequently found to be innocent. Do the vigilanties apologise to the persons family, his parents, his children , his wife etc and everybody shrugs their shoulder all nice and calm and say accidents happen ? Or does the family have every vigilante right to kill his killers ? Where does it end?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join