It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Node thy Neighbor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
We all know whats great about the net, we're doing it right now. It lets people far apart to gather in virtual surroundings and communicate, but one thing it's bad at is getting people who live close to you to communicate about local issues. I've recently stumbled upon a new type of Wireless Firmware that sets of a Wireless only Message Board with a range of around 200-300 ft. Those living in New York can check out the locations by going to the link below. I'm actually going to set one up in my area, as there are already 4 wireless networks showing up on my desktop wifi card.

www.neighbornode.net...

My question to the ATS crowd is what would you use this for? Have 24/7 Garage sales? Orginize community events? Campaign Politically during voting season? All of the above? lol.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
This is pretty cool... but seeing as how I'm the only one that has a wireless router, I don't see me participating in this. Hopefully I can find at least ONE more person to do this with.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
That's a really awesome find, and, more importantly, a great use of the wireless technology.

I suspect, however, given the nature of people, but also the location of a lot of those nodes, that a lot of it is going to be used to organize protests, but mainly to find dates, mates, etc. Pity.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Home WIMax Transmitters will have a range of 200-300 meters I believe. Add this tech with WiMax and you could quite litterally create a local city-wide intranet that anyone can log onto. There are allot of geeks in places like New York and my home city of Toronto, just think of the applications!

I recently wrote them an Email and they said they plan on supporting all formats eventually(EG WIMax, Wifi, 10/100/1000 Ethernet etc)

top topics

join