It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India-U.S framework for defence co-operation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
The Indian Defence Minister, Paranab Mukherjee, and his American counterpart,
Donald Rumsfeld, have signed a new framework for the US-Indian defence relationship for
the next 10 yrs to reflect common principles and shared national intrests.
(The 2 countries had signed the "Agreed Minutes on Defence Relations"in 95')
They say...The new framework would provide opportunities in areas such as technology
transfer, co-production and reserach and development.

The framework agreement's highlights are :-

1. The agreement could lead to an expansion of defence trade.
2. Conducting joint military exercises and exchanges.
3. Collaborating in multinational operations and when it is in their common intrest.
4. Strenthening the military's capability to defeat terrorism.
5. Enhancing capabilities to combat profileration of weapons of mass destruction.
6. Expanding collaboration in missile defence.
7. The Defence Policy Group will continue to be the primary mechanism to guide bilateral
strategic defence relationship.
8. A defence procurement and production group to be set up which will oversee defence
trade and look at prospects for co-production and technology collaboration.

Following criticism of the framework agreement by the Opposition parties, the Defence
Minister made the following remarks:

- The framework agreement is not a pact or treaty.
- It deals with points of agreement and not disagreement.
- There will be no purchase of complete defence systems from the USA or any other country
- It is a follow up of the minutes of a defence cooperation pact signed in 1995, which
expires this year
- The joint production of equipment and transfer of technology will help India in correcting
critical gaps in missile technology.
- Collaboration in multinational peacekeeping operations will be under the UN umbrella.
- India sticks to its demand that all US restrictions on high-tech transfers to India
should be lifted as the country's track record in safeguards was very high.
- India-U.S cooperation in defence was not at the expense of Russia or any other country.

And finally .. the issue highlighted by the Critics:
- There is no mention of a security or defence partnership with US in the common minimum
programme.
- The Government has taken a major step in tying up with the US to serve its strategic
goals in Asia.
- India will place itself in the category of Japan, Sounth Korea, and the Phillipines
...all traditional military allies of the US government
- India will be drawn into the US-sponsored missile defence shield under the cover of
the US providing the patriot missile system.
- No specific commitment by the US to lift curbs on supply of high technology or dual
use technology to India.
- It is meant to lure India to buy F-16 planes and open the Indian markets for Us weaponary.
- Implicit in the framework is the US interest in getting the Indian Navy to patrol the
Malacca Straits and other international seas as part of its proflieration security
initiative.
- The framework runs counter to India forgoing a "triangle" with Russia & China, and
groupings like BISAC - Brazil, India, and South Africa.

Well there you go.. i have put in all the bits and pieces i gathered and i hope it isnt
too long for you guys..This is my first thread here on ATS..and im excited.
im new here.. i been a guest for a while now
.Apologies..if there are unreadable spelling errors.. i took atmost care
not to make any.. but you never know!!Also i apologise if this matter has been dealt with already!
I want to know your opinion this issue....
Could it work out that easily?
Is this a begining of like we say.. "a beautiful friendship"? "
"
or.. does anybody think so "otherwise"?
or does anybody think its even something more than "otherwise"?

Thank you for reading!

Nabeel

ed all-caps in title

[edit on 17-8-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
This is why Russia and China are doing joint exrcises. India has singed up with the US, meaning that whatever counter balance China might put, Indian can counter balance it.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Its not an altogether shock IMHO. As stated above its a nice counter to the CHines. The real clincher int he deal would be some sort of treaty with Taiwan.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS

As it has been said, this really does not surprise me in the least. The US is Indias insurance against Pakistan. India will help the US with it's containment policy regarding China.

India will gain a lot in the military spectrum. They have already said they want the Joint Strike Fighter, and I think eventually they will get it. Yup, that's right - India will join the Stealth club.

As it was highlighted a few times, a key for the US will be placing it's missle defense systems in India. I doubt it will be a problem.

Overall good news for both the US and India. I have been saying it for a while, but India will become one of Americas greatest allies in time - up there with the UK and Australia eventually.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies guys..

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Overall good news for both the US and India. I have been saying it for a while, but India will become one of Americas greatest allies in time - up there with the UK and Australia eventually.

Yes i guess thats right.. i feel so too..
But what of it if a war situation breakouts with nations? allies here too? do they go for joint-operations?..
or any resultant disputes among themselves..does u.s take everything back?
(sorry.. guess i think weirdly
)

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Well, that is what treaties are for.

For instance, in a mutual protection pact, any country that signs is expected to come to the aid of any other country that has signed if they are attacked. So, if India, the US, and say Taiwan were to sign one, and then Taiwan were attacked by China, then both the US and India would be obligated to come to Taiwans aid.

These types of treaties are generally the last agreements that 2 countries will come to, as the basis for trust and cooperation is generally built by agreements such as the ones discussed here - military technology sharing and gradual escilation of cooperation.

Of course, without a treaty, either country may choose to come to the others aid if they feel it is in there best interest. To use China as an example again, if the US and China were to go to war over Taiwan, India may decide that the prospect of having China win and be so close to them is unacceptable. Thus, they might come to the aid of the US because we share the threat of China.

As for "the US taking everything back", that would call for a drastic situation. If, for instance, we found out India was trading our technology to Russia or China, you can be sure we would back out of any ddeal. India would have proven herself to be untrustworthy. The only country that seems to be able to get away with this type of stuff is Isreal - and even they are starting to feel the heat from it. The US recently excluded them from the F-35 JSF program because of such concerns about leaked information to Russia and China.

Honestly though, I don't see any problems arriving between India and the US. In fact, I see India as perhaps THE key ally the US will have against China - especially from an economic stand point. India is the only nation with the man power to take over Chinas production and manufacturing for the US. In this respect, India could be our 'ace in the hole'. India also stands a lot to gain from this relationship - technological benefits, economic benefits, and defense benefits.

posted on Aug, 20 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by iris_failsafe
This is why Russia and China are doing joint exrcises. India has singed up with the US, meaning that whatever counter balance China might put, Indian can counter balance it.

India and Russia are cold war allies and have created tech. togethr such as the Supersonic Cruise Missile - Brahmos. Not to mention the BRIC alliance (Brazil, Russia, India, China) which is a Trade + Strategic bloc

PJ-10 BrahMos
www.globalsecurity.org...

India, Russia ink pact for making jet engines
www.newkerala.com...

India, Russia to conduct joint exercise to counter terrorism
www.financialexpress.com...

India and Russia's common past
news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 20-8-2005 by Darth Tinku]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darth Tinku

India and Russia are cold war allies and have created tech. togethr such as the Supersonic Cruise Missile - Brahmos. Not to mention the BRIC alliance (Brazil, Russia, India, China) which is a Trade + Strategic bloc

PJ-10 BrahMos

www.newkerala.com...

India, Russia to conduct joint exercise to counter terrorism
www.financialexpress.com...

India and Russia's common past
news.bbc.co.uk...

Yeah but I'll bet that they would trade all of the above for getting into the exclusive club of the US pals. Ffor example I doubt that Pakistan will try something if India has a pact with US and furthermore has it's latest technology in it's arsenal

[edit on 21-8-2005 by iris_failsafe]

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Yeah but I'll bet that they would trade all of the above for getting into the exclusive club of the US pals. Ffor example I doubt that Pakistan will try something if India has a pact with US and furthermore has it's latest technology in it's arsenal

Exactly.

Look, if you are India, and you switch to a US alliance, the US is going to start diverting all of it's trade from China to you. Think about that. Chinas recent economic boom is because of mostly US trade. On top of that, the US alone has more technology to share then China, Russia and Brazil combined. On top of that, China is a regional enemy.

It's clear to anyone who cares to look. It is in Indias best military, strategic, and economical intrest to be best buds with the US.

posted on Aug, 21 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   

[edit on 21-8-2005 by iris_failsafe]

Well like China, India are already attending the G8 finance meetings, and are being included into the G8 to make it G10 or more soon, as mentioned. Also, if Pakistan tried anything against India, they don't need any help from the US to stop them. India is already creating 2 ICBM with 8,000 and 12,000 ranges. India's plan are not to align itself totally with the US. Just showing some flexibility. Like Russia and China, but they have created their own separate identity which is like a model of the EU, called BRIC. BRIC alliance is foremost committed to the stability of EURASIA and to create stability against US domination. India is her own country and will never sacrifice her own objectives for other countries objectives. India is only looking out for their security, and Eurasia's. If the US attacked Iran, you would have a problem, seeing as Russia, India and China have huge deals with Iran for Natural Gas and have promised them security if they were invaded for unjust reasons.

The US and India are becoming fast friends, but they are doing it only to fill some gaps faster in their own indigenous technologies. US has offered many technologies such as your Patriot missile shield, but India declined, since they are creating their own advance version, which will be more precise.

Here's a little info about the BRIC
en.wikipedia.org...

The BRICs Are Coming--Fast
www.businessweek.com...

India ICBM Surya-1/2
missilethreat.com...

Russia: No Space Weapons, Or Else
www.cbsnews.com...

PJ-10 BrahMos

www.newkerala.com...