It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Choice of target

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2002 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Something that I've been pondering recently.

do we believe that the impetus behind the sep 11 terrorists choice of targets
was:

economic.
ideological.
political.
convenience.
accidental.
etc etc
(to include metaphorical, ironic, maximum destruction etc)

posted on Sep, 18 2002 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The world trade centre trowers stood for the US's capitalistic success, but to many it stood for the US's hypocracy. Thrusting capitalism on countries while subsidising trade, among other things. The bringing down of the towers wasn't just about human casualties, it was about the crumbling of an American icon.

posted on Sep, 18 2002 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Some of the people who organised 9/11 were interveiwed recently in Pakistan by an Al Jeezerah reporter they claimed that the initial targets were nuclear power plants but that the targets were changed for fear that it could get out of hand.This leads me to believe that the attacks were designed to show the world they were there and make themselves the rallying point for American opposition.

posted on Sep, 18 2002 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I think it was also a matter of ego. Remember, bin Ladin had tried to bring down the WTC in '93 with a truck bomb.

posted on Sep, 18 2002 @ 08:41 AM
link   
however, the question would still apply as to why he chose the WTC in the first place.

- qo.
(this assumes, of course, that bin laden did indeed do it.)

posted on Sep, 18 2002 @ 09:49 AM
link   
It is always very important for terrorist to claim responsibily for their actions otherwise the reasons for their actions remain unreported.I don't know of an exception to this rule.the only group to have claimed responsiblity have been Al Queda.
Why was WTC,Pentagon,and Congress targeted especially.
1/They were all recognisable landmarks.
2/They were all recognisable from the air.
3/They all had a purpose other than tourist attractions,For a romantic the Empire State Building would have been a bigger blow to Americans hearts or the Statue of Liberty.The terrorist though were pragmatist not only hitting hearts but also the trade,legistlator ,and military centres in the USA these being the three evils that they see in the USA today.
Perhaps from their choice of targets we can see that the attack was not on the American people an attack on The Statue of Liberty would have been an attack on the symbols of freedom.Hollywood would have been an attack on culture,

new topics

top topics

join