It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Arizona Joins New Mexico in Declaring State of Emergency over Illegals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Janet Napolitano, the governor of the State of Arizona, has declared a state of emergency in the State's border counties following the lead of New Mexico's governor, Bill Richardson. By declaring a state of emergency, the State's national guard units and other resources may be dispatched to help fight the crisis, namely illegal Mexicans and other nationals crossing the border. The move by these states is groundbreaking since immigration is usually handled by the Federal government of the United States.

www.chicagotribune.com
NOGALES, Ariz. -- Saying their states are reeling from growing drug trafficking and illegal migration, the governors of Arizona and New Mexico have declared states of emergency along their borders with Mexico.

Gov. Janet Napolitano of Arizona has freed up $1.5 million in disaster funds to assist state agencies and border counties while New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson defended his recent decision to declare an emergency, saying states must take security into their own hands because the federal government has failed to fix the problem.

In response, Mexican officials have described the governors' declarations as exaggerations. They rejected the idea that only Mexico can solve the problem and called for cooperation between the two countries to calm the border area.

"My call to the U.S., whether it's to a state government or the government of President Bush, is that in place of pronouncements, we make proposals, in place of each working on his own side, we work together. Only like that will we be able to win [against the criminals]," Mexican President Vicente Fox said on Tuesday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I generally support President Bush strongly, but he is completely and utterly wrong on the issue of illegal immigration. I applaud these two Democratic state governors for taking a stand to protect their citizens and the entire nation against this illegal invasion by aliens. The Federal government needs to stand up and finally do its job and stop this threat to our citizens and sovereignty.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 8/17/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
There appears to be some actual spine in state govenors.

They must be tired of spinless serpentine Washington's caving to corporate commands for slave labor.

Maybe there is hope for America.

Its only a glimmer so far . . .

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I wonder what the folks on radio KFYI think of Democrat Napolitano now

Because she's a Democrat, its a free for all at the radio station non stop bashing 24 hours a day.

How do they like you now.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I wonder what the folks on radio KFYI think of Democrat Napolitano now

Because she's a Democrat, its a free for all at the radio station non stop bashing 24 hours a day.

Are only Republicans allowed to call in to the radio station?

I'm glad she took the steps she did regarding the border. Now if you can just convince her that requiring a picture ID to vote is a GOOD thing..

Btw, I started a thread on this topic yesterday also.
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 17-8-2005 by jsobecky]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Jsobecky,

No Democrats dare call that station. How did you guess?!

They got rid of Charles Goyette for daring to say there was no need for this war... How dare he! Strangely enough, Clear channel produces Jerry Springer's radio show (you can imagine) and thats anti-Bush.
Hypocrites.

Clear Radio, your schitzophrenic news producer.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
If they just declared a state of emergency does that in turn mean FEMA is empowered in those states now? If so, what do you think FEMA will do?

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
about time!
this is great news!

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
It is good to see the states are doing this, it is about time.

As a side note others are reacting on a local level. One country commissioner is sueing companies that hire illegals using the RICO law.

(AP) - BOISE, Idaho-A southwest Idaho county filed a racketeering lawsuit against agricultural companies accused of hiring illegal immigrants - an attempt to recoup money the county says it has spent on the workers.

The lawsuit by Canyon County commissioners alleges four agricultural companies and a nonprofit have taken part in an "illegal immigrant hiring scheme," and that the county has paid the cost of medical care, jails and schools.

The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court on Wednesday claims the companies violated the federal Racketeering and Corrupt Organizations Act, which allows winning plaintiffs to receive triple damages.

Idaho County Sues Companies Over Illegals

I see this as also another positive step in the right direction.

[edit on 8/17/2005 by shots]

[edit on 8/17/2005 by shots]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I suppose there are some situations where the means justify the possible ends. I think this is a great move, and good news for the struggling border patrols. New Mexico increased funding for the patrol by $1.7 million and Arizona $1.5 million.

This action could have begun due to the huge heavily armed gang war that took place just across the border a little while ago, but it could be something else, too. This isn't consistant with, at least, Bill Richardson's typical policies regarding illegal aliens. He signed into law illegal alien access to the state's scholarship fund, signed into law a bill giving illegal aliens the right to get legal drivers liscenses, and even said that an illegal alien who has not committed another crime on US soil is not a criminal. Now, we're in an election year, and residents of his state are furious with the illegal immigration problem. Just before the election, though, he declares a state of emergency over the problem he helped to create. Will it fool New Mexico residents? Part of me hopes so, if he maintains this style of policy rather than reverting back to sheltering and encouraging illegals across the border after he gets elected. The other part of me is annoyed with the political pandering and the assumption that the people have such short term memories as to not remember all the previous laws, bills and statements and only focus on the latest. What annoys me even more is the fact that he's probably right, if it is just political pandering.

new topics

top topics

join