It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amount Of Sarcasm On ATS Lately

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
I have noticed quite a trend lately. I have been a member of ATS since August of 2003 and back then we had a lot of informative conversations about threads. We debated the issue, looked for the facts, and gave our insights and views regarding the thread topic.

Currently I have noticed quite a dramatic change over the past 6 months revolving around people's views. It seems to me that people only comment on a thread now to dispute the authors credibility and/or basically "troll" the thread spouting useless information that doesn't pertain to the topic at hand.

For example) Someone starts a thread on a video that must be watched before any input can be put into the thread.

Most of the time people just bicker and will not watch the video presented, when the whole point of the thread was to comment on the video and its validity and make points regarding its claims.

Reminds me of the old Left/Right paradigm. As we have seen on PTS. Dismissing an idea because of the assumption "You must be wrong because you are a democrat/conservative."

Instead of ruining a thread with the "I am right, you are wrong" Point of view, please respect peoples beliefs and ideas. Respect goes a long way and like the old saying goes. Treat others the way you wish to be treated. One sidedness only creates barriers. Thanks for listening.

Omega

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Here, here.

Let's keep the debate dignified people!
We are supposedly intelligent adults and free thinkers, let's not turn the place into a childrens playground.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Intelligent adults and free thinkers!
Is this pure sarcasm or WHAT?

Originally posted by TheObserver

We are supposedly intelligent adults and free thinkers, let's not turn the place into a childrens playground.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken

Originally posted by TheObserver

Netchicken's a troll!!!!

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken

No, it wasn't. I was being sincere.

Try it one day NetChicken, you will feel much better than when you are sarcastic.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Netchicken's a troll!!!!

Tell us something we didn't know yet!

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Hey, a little sarcasm, irony, and dramatic reading of the Riot Act can be a good thing. It's important to have a valid argument supported by facts, but nothing really stops an opponent in his tracks or gives the readers some extra enjoyment like a clever "zing".

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Hey, a little sarcasm, irony, and dramatic reading of the Riot Act can be a good thing. It's important to have a valid argument supported by facts, but nothing really stops an opponent in his tracks or gives the readers some extra enjoyment like a clever "zing".

I don't think the OP is referring to genuine light-hearted sarcasm, but the more vindictive and sinister type that is becoming more prevelant here. People seem to prefer to get one over on the next person rather than put forward a sensible arguement.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
There is a reason for the sarcasam; being a Cynic has become the status quo here at ATS as of late. To believe in something is to give it power, and people fear what they do not understand, so natually they don't want it to have any power, so they tear down that idea, debunk it irregardless of evidence purely so they feel less akward about it. And if you look closely you can see the patern of attack here is the same as it is in the political world; you start with the facts, if they are sold then you go for a character assassination of the person or organization in question. Sad to say but even ATS has fallen prey to the mentality it tries to stop with its "Deny Ignorance" motto.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I'm not going to deny I do it.

Someone brings up an arguement.
I post facts.
He posts opinions.
Repeat above step 5 times.
I out-wit them.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
In my opinion, message boards are cliques. They consist of a few that have power, then there are a few that have the ability to get with the few that have power, (personal friends, same ideas, or maybe suck up well). Newcomers that do not fall into one of the 3 categories mentioned are treated like "fresh meat". The rules and guidelines are applied to them.

I thought that ATS, with the deny ignorance slogan, would be different. Sarcasm and insults, with intent to run someone off the boards, is ignorant (if you don't know what you're doing, or stupid, if you do know what you're doing and do it anyway.)

Out of curiosity, why are boards like this? Why does it seem that the main intent is to run people off? Is it because on a board that power exists whereas in real life, one may get their lights put out for such an attitude? Is it that people go to boards to vent hostile frustration?

I, for one, just want to have intelligent feedback on views that I, or others possess. Hmmm...now that I look at it, that would be seeking knowledge, and if the attitudes don't change, this board is no different than any other.

Let's keep the debate dignified people!

Well said, that is the way non ignorant (intelligent) people should be able to handle a debate.

Ohhhhhh.......I see, it"s to give enjoyment.....unless you don't fit into one of the 3 above mentioned categories, than you're giving, will get you banned or reprimanded at the least. Just an observation.

Is this the way the board will continue? If so, I'm sorry I wasted my time and yours by even posting.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
gypsyskyes, in my first ever posts I went at it with two admins and several long-standing members.

I always have done and always will do (if I don't agree with it, I will put forward my idea) and so far a majority of them have been able to handle it. I've had a few U2U's telling me to cool it, etc, but nothing major before. No warning, no nothing.

And I would say I am more sarcastic than a lot of members on here and was from the onset. Even mocking one Mods stand-point in about my 3rd post.

It all depends on how you do it.

A lot of the mods would not give otu warning, without reason because they do not wish to have their mod powers removed and also because the majority are not idiots.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by gypsyskyes
In my opinion, message boards are cliques. They consist of a few that have power, then there are a few that have the ability to get with the few that have power, (personal friends, same ideas, or maybe suck up well). Newcomers that do not fall into one of the 3 categories mentioned are treated like "fresh meat".

You only mentioned two categories (those eventually trusted with "power" and "the few" they've come to know over time). Unless "fresh meat" is the third; Then it appears the overwhelming majority of our members do fit in!

Oh yeah, and sarcastic people should be shot.

There are three types of people in any on-line community: Those that can get their point across and those that can't.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
RANT, if we shot the sarcastic one's you are a dead man/woman/think/computer program.

Miles a head of me.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
To believe in something is to give it power, and people fear what they do not understand, so natually they don't want it to have any power, so they tear down that idea, debunk it irregardless of evidence purely so they feel less akward about it.

In my opinion people like those you describe have no place in this comunity we have here at ATS. If you are not adult enough or open minded to accept that people have different viewpoints and beliefs, then you should go to a football forum or something equally childish and mind-numbing.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Sarcasm? Us? You're kidding, right?

Oops...

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It appears someone left out

Thou Shalt Not Be Sarcastic

from the site's T&C.

What a shame!

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
There are three types of people in any on-line community: Those that can get their point across and those that can't.

So...what's the third?

Anyways...bottom line is this...you'll get more flies (points) with honey rather than vinegar (sarcasm).

3 things that get you ahead in ATS...

#1...good posts
#2...not arguing with mods

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Just to clarify something....

The "not arguing with mods" advice should be limited solely when concerning matters of enforcing board rules. (and not to be confused with polite disagreement, or stating of opinion on said rules)

As far as viewpoints on topical threads, etc. argument and debate is encouraged, as long as we're arguing the topic and not resorting to personal attacks (by either party).

As a recent thread states, "mods are members too". To be honest, some of my most enjoyable threads (to me) are those in which I've got to fight to make my point stick...

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
There are Posters, skepics, debunkers, believers, point-of-view'rs and the opinionated perhap's the ratio is the thing?. You coould almost put the categories into columns on a spreadsheet and work the percentages based on Posting. To see where the flow is truly headed.

"It Costs Nothing to be Nice"

Dallas

top topics

<<   2 >>

join