It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than 300 Simultaneous Bomb Blasts Across Bangladesh

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Why isnt this plastered all over the main stream news? I smell something fishy.

EDIT:

I jusy checked a few more of my usual sources and nothing.

[edit on 17-8-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

EDIT:

I agree, I have heard nothing about it, a hundred bombs is not a little thing.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
What the hell? Bangladesh? Thats like the least place on Earth that ppl get their attention to.

Why they want to bomb there anyway?

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
well, here it says 200.

Yahoo

More than 200 small bombs exploded almost simultaneously in towns and cities across Bangladesh, killing one person and injuring at least 38, police said.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I can't find anything on this with mainstream news either...I did find this however...

BRAHMMANBARIA, Bangladesh — Police in eastern Banghadesh are searching for a motive in a rash of bomb explosions last night at a religious festival.

At least one person was killed and more than 50 others hurt when about a dozen homemade bombs went off at a Muslim shrine packed with worshipers.

They were among thousands of people taking part in a weeklong fair and feast on the grounds of the shrine.

There's been no claim of responsibility, although police say it could have involved a dispute among rival shopkeepers outside the shrine.

www.foxnews.com...

This happened this past weekend. Perhaps they are connected.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
And now here's BBCnews saying 300 blasts.

BBC

Officials say more than 300 explosions took place simultaneously in 50 cities and towns across the country including the capital Dhaka.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I saw it on live CNN and FOX, just not really being featured with all the other stuff going on I guess...

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by hands
Hmmm can't see anyone benefiting yet from Iraq. or israel or is it too early to tell?

You want us to list people other than the various western interests who will be (or are) making a killing (financially) because of these conflicts?

Terrorist recruitment will have gone through the roof since the military action in Iraq and Afghanistan. They're benefitting in that respect. More recruits, more worldwide attention, more focus on their cause.

But yes, in real terms, it's too early to tell. There's so much conflict in both places even now, that we can't really say with any certainty who will benefit in the future.

Other than perhaps those who are already doing so.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I just heard on CNN (tv) that there were "more than 350 bombs". I doubt we will get a correct casuality number. I remember the boxing day tsunami. There were thousands of dead and missing from all of the neighbouring countries, but Bangladesh had "less than 10 casualities". I don`t believe it...

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I haven't heard anything about this until now. It didn't even sink in when I saw the topic......300 bombs? To say the least, thats a bit serious. It would take serious power in numbers as well as money.

[edit on 17-8-2005 by chebob]

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

In Dhaka, police were questioning a hospitalized man who reportedly was injured while allegedly carrying a bomb near two hotels.

The leaflets found near blast sites called for the imposition of Islamic law.

"There should not be any other laws except Allah's in a Muslim country. But it's a pity that in Bangladesh, where about 90 percent are Muslims, Allah's rules are not implemented," said the leaflets, which were written in Bengali and Arabic.

Earlier this year, the government outlawed Jumatul Mujahedin and another Islamic group, Jagrata Muslim Janata, for their alleged involvement in a spate killings, robberies and bomb attacks in recent years.

Police who examined a number of unexploded bombs said they contained explosives packed in small containers and wrapped in tape, paper or sawdust — instead of the nails or shrapnel that more deadly bombs contain. They were rigged with small, battery-powered timers, police said

just another day where we have Islamic extremists demanding that Allah's rules be enforced on the people of Bangladesh. tsk tsk, wen will they ever learn.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

EDIT:

And the BBC, where the poster's story came from isn't "mainstream"? What are your usual suspects, er, sources? ITAR-TASS, Agence Kampuchea Presse, the News Of The World?

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
The links to six different sources I provided in my opening post is not considered as "main-stream" sources? I wonder too... what sources are considered as "main-stream" then...?

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Looks like that Islamic group previously mentioned was responsible:

DHAKA (AFX) - Police said banned Islamic extremist group Jamayetul Mujahideen is linked to the wave of bombings across Bangladesh yesterday.

Police have now reported two people have been killed and 100 injured.

They said they have rounded up almost 90 people in the wake of the attacks, which occurred within an hour of each other in 64 towns and cities.

'One of them has confessed that he was Jamayetul Mujahideen's local leader and that he carried out an attack here,' said Abdur Rahim, superintendent of police in Satkhira district.

Forbes

Wow, 100 injured but only 2 dead...looks like they have gotten off lucky.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Hmmm. Who did this? Here are some of the reactions after the blasts.

90 arrested in BD over bomb blasts

Over 350 small home-made bombs went off in all but one of the 64 districts of the country on Wednesday, killing two people and injuring over 150.

The Awami League (AL) led the opposition’s demonstrations all over Bangladesh on Thursday. Sheikh Hasina, the AL chief, called for an international investigation into the blasts because ‘the intelligence agencies and the police have completely failed to perform their duties’. She alleged that the ‘bomb attacks were masterminded by the government and perpetrated under the supervision of Jamaat-i-Islami’. "No one can carry out a series of blasts in 63 districts almost simultaneously without the government’s involvement.”

Members of a ruling party-backed human rights group said at a press conference that ‘international conspirators’ were probably involved in the string of bomb blasts.

Prime Minister Khaleda Zia described the blasts as the work of ‘cowardly’ terrorists designed to cause panic.

The Islamist-allied coalition government describes Bangladesh as a moderate Muslim nation and has repeatedly rejected any suggestion that there could be a problem with religious extremists.

India, which in the past has expressed concern over a rise in extremism in Bangladesh, urged the authorities to catch those responsible. "We urged the government of Bangladesh to identify the perpetrators of these terrorist acts and offered any kind of assistance”

US State Department spokesman Sean McCormack condemned the bombings as ‘terrorism’.

United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan called for ‘calm and restraint in the face of these brazen and cowardly acts’

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Some more updates. 170 "extremists" have been detained so far.

Arab News: 15 Held for Serial Blasts

25 August 2005

Police yesterday arrested 15 more suspected activists of a banned group blamed for the serial bombings which rocked Bangladesh last week.

Copies of a leaflet found at the bomb sites carried a call by Jamatul Mujahedeen for Islamic rule in Bangladesh. “We are looking for the mastermind, his associates and some 500 activists who are believed to have been involved in the coordinated bombings,” a police officer in Dhaka said.

Hundreds of bombs went off nearly simultaneously across Bangladesh last Wednesday, hours after Prime Minister Begum Khaleda Zia had left for a visit to China. She came back cutting short the trip, and ordered an immediate crackdown on the suspected militants. Mashud, who heads Islamic organizations that finance hundreds of madrasas in Bangladesh, is also suspected of having financed the Jamatul Mujahedeen.

So far more than 170 extremists have been detained. Many of them told police they were members of the Jamatul Mujahedeen group and acted under orders from group leaders, especially the fugitive Shaikh Abdur Rahman.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 31 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
bit late but what the heck
very lucky that i didnt find the batteries in the shopping center making me 30min late ( we were taking the same route of where on of them exploded )

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Bangladesh security forces have managed to capture Shaikh Abdur Rahman alive. He is the leader of the group suspected of being responsible for the bombs in this thread (plus other bombs).

Aljazeera.net: Bangladesh Muslim group chief held

The head of a Muslim group blamed for several deadly bombings in Bangladesh has surrendered after security forces surrounded his hideout, according to officials. Shaikh Abdur Rahman, 50, leader of the banned Jumatul Mujahedeen Bangladesh, gave himself up in Sylhet city, 190km northeast of the national capital Dhaka, early on Thursday

More than 500 security forces took part in a 30-hour siege on Rahman's hideout in the northeastern city, Alam said.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Dog and Pony show for W.B

[edit on 4-3-2006 by IntelRetard]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
What does, Bangladesh have? :|

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join