It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro war man disses dead troops

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4
I also think that anyone who is prowar is worthless as a human being.

You have voted Kriz_4 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wardr08e
the idea that somebody putting some bits of wood in the ground with Fallen Soldiers names on it and calling it a memorial is absurd.

I find it much worse and disrespectful for some one to run over wooden crosses who have the names of fallen soldiers on them.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Vets see protests as attack on policy

If there's growing sentiment against the war in Iraq, many area veterans of the fight aren't taking it personally.

Vets see the opposition as a protest against policy, not them or their service.

And they're right. The protesters I've seen and read about support and respect the troops and the vets very much.

This actually seems like a fairly unbiased story, relating both sides.

But Crawford and others believe there would be fewer protests and more support for military operations in Iraq if Americans had a clearer picture of what's going on there.

"We really made a difference in the lives of the Iraqis, and we're still making a difference," he said. "We're making progress. We're going to continue to face resistance, but we have to work through that. We can have liberty, freedom and democracy in that region.

posted on Aug, 23 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
no i completely agree,
it is disrespectful and disgraceful to run them over like that all im saying is that it could be just as bad, in my opinion worse to put them up like that in the first place.
a memorial to the fallen should be something the people can look apon with pride, they should be elevated above the common man.
for only then do we see them in the light they deserve to be seen.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wardr08e
it is disrespectful and disgraceful to run them over like that all im saying is that it could be just as bad, in my opinion worse to put them up like that in the first place.

It's worse to erect crosses in soldiers' names than it is to mow them down? OK, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

a memorial to the fallen should be something the people can look apon with pride, they should be elevated above the common man.
for only then do we see them in the light they deserve to be seen.

Like at Arlington cemetery? They're crosses in the ground.

I'm afraid your politics are really getting in the way here. The respect and honor these protesters have for the soldiers is obvious. They may be clumsy in their manner of display, but their hearts are in the right place, and in MY opinion, that's what's important.

The man who removed the one cross that bore his son's name showed true respect. The man who mowed them down showed nothing but IGNORANCE and anger.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
It's worse to erect crosses in soldiers' names than it is to mow them down? OK, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Actually, I might agree with him here. It isn't exactly what you do, it is why. If they are setting up those crosses to make a political point that is counter to the beliefs of those soldiers, they are disrespecting them as much as if they were burning them in effigy.

Like at Arlington cemetery? They're crosses in the ground.

Actually, there is something about the unity of arlington. Thousands of white crosses in neat rows, neatly trimmed grass... It just seems kind of eerie, like a holy site.

I'm afraid your politics are really getting in the way here. The respect and honor these protesters have for the soldiers is obvious. They may be clumsy in their manner of display, but their hearts are in the right place, and in MY opinion, that's what's important.

The man who removed the one cross that bore his son's name showed true respect. The man who mowed them down showed nothing but IGNORANCE and anger.

It depends. On what right were these protestors claiming to represent these soldiers? If people were taking up the crosses that represented their sons, then it is obvious to me that these people put those there as a means to a political end. Somewhat like insurgents fighting from mosques, shooting out the windows so they can fire upon the soldiers outside, and crying afterwards, claiming that the enemy destroyed the holy building. I personally have no respect for these people.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Oh please your making it seem as if the troops are a uniform and homogenous mass that wholeheartedly supports the politics of the right. The dirty little secret is that the US military is every bit as divided as the American public is.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PBscientist
Actually, there is something about the unity of arlington. Thousands of white crosses in neat rows, neatly trimmed grass... It just seems kind of eerie, like a holy site.

I happen to agree with you, but I also get almost the same feeling as I looked down the rows of crosses on the side of the road in Crawford. I think it's highly a matter of perception. Any time symbols are grouped representing the loss of lives, there's the possibility of awe and a feeling of compassion.

I do agree with you that actually, the protesters should have had given more thought to whose names they put on the crosses. If I had lost a son in Iraq and supported the war (some big 'Ifs') I would be pretty upset if protesters had put his name on one of their protest symbols. I wouldn't have acted in violence against them, but I would certainly let them know that they had no right to assume that they could use my son's name for their protest.

As far as their intent, I've said before it doesnt do much good for a protester to sit in their yard holding a sign. The idea is to get attention. I don't doubt that in their eagerness to be noticed they've crossed a line or two that they shouldn't have.

[edit on 24-8-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
Oh please your making it seem as if the troops are a uniform and homogenous mass that wholeheartedly supports the politics of the right. The dirty little secret is that the US military is every bit as divided as the American public is.

Actually, the military is slightly less divided thant he american public, at least from what I have seen. Nobody is forced to go into the military, so you have less people who are wildly anti-war (and if they are they are dumbasses. what they hell do they think the military does?). There are still some people who disagree, but I think they should be allowed to either quit or switch to a non-combat job (counting boxes or something for logistics maybe). I know that I personally wouldn't want to have somebody fighting beside me who was unmotivated and scared. It would be bad for morale, and he would probably be inneffective in combat.

If anyone was against the war and he died, they have the right to put his name on one of those crosses. If they just looked in the paper to find a few names though, that is incredibly disrespectful of the men and women who serve and die over there.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Sorry I forgot about Afghanistan. NZers in general dont seem to like acknowledging that they have troops around the world on missions. At least those I talk to over here. Thanks for opening up. What you describe is really very tragic, but there are some things that are beyond our control I guess. How #ing irresponsible of those choosing to engage in combat around kids. That makes me incredibly angry.

As for these women against rape in war or whatever. I think every country has its loons. In fact I'd say we are pretty lucky in that regard compared to other countries. These fools can stand on their pedestal because they have lived a comfortable life on the backs of men and women who have sacrificed theirs. They should never forget this.

I had both grandfathers serve in WW2. There will never be such a clear cut war as that again IMO. But if there was, I would be first in line to serve. Having said that, there is no way I would kit up to be dropped in some blokes backyard and be told I need to kill him for dubious reasons. I am a patriot, not an idiot. If I sign up it will be to defend my country. There are a lot of oppressed people in this world. It appears that we tend to pick and choose who we "liberate" as long as there is something in it for us.

cheers.

[edit on 25-8-2005 by cargo]

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
its not about whether its a cross on the ground and that is not what i was implying.
im talking about something more than that.
like the man said, arlington has something about it.
a memorial to the fallen should be something special.
for the sake of their families atleast.
if not for the entire nation.
it something you can look upon and its as grand as the memory of those who never came home.
all im saying is that to remember them in that way it should be as special as the memory itself.
but i am in no way supporting what that man did.
its dishonerable.
in the New Zealand Army that would most likely get you a dishonerable discharge.
thats what im trying to get at.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Cargo,
i dont think we dont like to admit what ops we are on more that your average Civilian plain doesnt know.
the telly only shows the big stories here.
and apparently our soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq arent big stories.
even our engineers leaving Iraq wasnt much of a story.
a big problem with that is IMO that when we are getting home for dinner and the news the rest of the world is just getting up.
the news is already old.
lucky we get BBC overnight and we also get that american comedy whats it called............?
oh thats right.
FOX News.
never seen such blatant propaganda in all my life.
we want facts and they give us their opinions!!!
il never get it...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join