It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

star trek communicators

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
ok i'm a pretty big fan of star trek, my fav. is Voyager. but my question is, how come when someone presses a communicator and says who they are calling the person they're calling doesnt press anything, woulndt that go to EVER communicator in range? and when they are done why dont they ever press the off button? woulndt everyone be hearing what they are saying after the trasmision is over?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I'm not a Star trek fan, I'm a Star Wars guy... but anytime I see a Star Wars fan I have to show them this site: Leanord Nemoy

I found it one day in my Web Design class. Pretty weird.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
thanks i think....but that doenst really answer any of my questions.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Crap... I guess that site is no longer on the web. it was the 'leanord nemoy Should Eat More Salsa Foundation. It was funny as hell.

As for your question, I'm sure it's just one of those script errors or something. Just something they never paid much attention to. That's the only thing I can think of.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
come on i cant be the only one whos ever noticed this. someone else has got to have asked WHY....if they went through all the trouble of explain how a holodeck works then by god someoen has to know how the communicators work right?

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
What happens, is...when you call somebody, each communicator has its own caller frequency, and when you tap your communicator and call, it goes to that person. As far a shutting off, it shuts off automatically...it's a "smart" communicator and can tell when the conversation is over.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
in order for it to have a shut off it has to have a command word, but they are all so random that leads me to believe there is no command word.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by umwolves123
in order for it to have a shut off it has to have a command word, but they are all so random that leads me to believe there is no command word.

ever heard of voice activated microphones???? btw they exist now.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Using several microphones you can also pinpoint location based on the soundwaves.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I think the solution to this problem lies in the fact that Star Trek is FICTION.

:shk:

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by umwolves123
ok i'm a pretty big fan of star trek, my fav. is Voyager.

Mine s too. Janeway was a great Captain, and the dynamics of the crew made it a show never to miss!

but my question is, how come when someone presses a communicator and says who they are calling the person they're calling doesnt press anything, woulndt that go to EVER communicator in range?

Yes, it would, unless it is name activated, perhaps?

and when they are done why dont they ever press the off button?

I don't know. They don't ever turn "off" the computer after they are done speaking to it, either.

woulndt everyone be hearing what they are saying after the trasmision is over?

Like I said, perhaps it is name oriented. I don't think the communicators were an issue they wanted to keep straight. I even tried extensive Google searches for an explanation, to no avail. Perhaps we will find an answer one day.

[edit: Okay, I did find an explanation here.

The Vocera Badge connects via an installed wireless LAN to a Vocera server and is operated largely by voice command. (As an option, you also can connect to analog phone lines by connecting Vocera to a PBX, Centrex or other system.) With a bit of work, these no-hands communicators can become very useful where wireless LANs based on 802.11b deployments are working.

[end edit]

[edit on 31-1-2006 by Rouschkateer]

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Great point unwolves

In the very first ones didnt they used to press it to turn it off im not 100% on that but i sort of remember them doing it like i said could be wrong,

But even thought star-trek is fiction youd think they'd get it right, how do they know who there calling, you never see any of the other crew like the guys who go down to the planet with kirk,spock,ect having a chat on one in the back ground oh no there to busy getting killed as soon as they beam down, they dont even get chance to say beam me up scottie.

but maybe the people who speak to them switch it of at there end save the big guns having to do.

Star trek next generation is my fav voyager is next in line.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 05:04 AM
link   
So I take it nobody has heard of voice tagging on a mobile?

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
The answer seems pretty obvious to me; correct me if I am wrong.

They obviously have voice activated dialing; simply saying the person's name routs the call to the correct person.

In the old Star Trek the communication was ended by simply flipping the cover of the communicator closed.

In the new Star Trek, the computer knows the communication is over when they say "out", such as in "Janeway out" or "Chakote out" (but not "Seacrest out!")

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I think it is one of the overlooked issues on the show that we are just supposed to accept, just like when one of the cast members stands near the door or walks toward the door.

If they are meant to go out the door in the script, the door opens when they are a couple feet from it. If they are meant to go to the door, stop, turn around and talk to another cast member, the door stays shut, even though they are right next to it.

JDub

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Shouldn't we concern ourselves with more important questions regarding Star Trek? Such as... why is it that hundreds or thousands of years into the future there is STILL not a cure for male pattern baldness? I'm sure Captain Piccard is wondering that himself. And even Captain Kirk, who is still forced to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on his wigs, like Burt Reynolds and Ben Afleck.

posted on Apr, 7 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
*smiles*

Pshaw! That one is easy to answer!

It is because it is not a problem in the future... everyone will realize that us balding guys are the ones that "have it going on" so it won't be treated as a medical problem.

"Everyone" knows that Troy's mother wanted picard so bad because she wanted to rub her fingers over his bald head. I'm mean, heck, her servant didn't have any hair either, right?

All in fun...

JDub

[edit on 4/7/2006 by BlueTileSpook]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I think in Voyager they pressed the badges both on and off; however, they did in TNG.

I have always liked the com badges. I assumed that they had something implanted near their ear drums so that they could hear who they were speaking to; also I assume from growing up watching every series that came out that each com badge had it's own frequency modulation, which if you notice they mentioned on picking up on their com badges and they could identify the person's com badge when they were with it, or not. So, I gathered that each badge was identified with a special frequency modulation assigned to that individual, and they went ship wide when faced with alert.

I found the show intriquing and innovative. I have to admit the com badges were my favourite. I thought the communicators were burdensome and too easily damaged as in the original series.

top topics

join