It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian space shuttle's launch set for 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
MOSCOW, August 16 (RIA Novosti) - The first unmanned flight of Russia's Clipper space shuttle has been set for 2011, and the first manned flight has been scheduled for 2012, a senior official from Russia's leading space company told the Delovoy Vtornik (Business Tuesday) weekly.

Nikolai Bryukhanov, the deputy designer general of the Energia Rocket and Space Corporation, said that the Clipper would replace the Soyuz and the Buran spacecraft to become Russia's main craft for the coming decades.

The Clipper has several advantages because it is a shuttle craft with improved aerodynamics, which allows the craft to cut regular G-forces by two to two and a half times, and irregular G-forces by five times.

The craft is built using the "wing" model. The improved aerodynamics will allow the craft to maneuver at the controlled re-entry stage and increase the precision of the landing.

The Clipper will be able to deliver a six-man crew to the International Space Station (ISS), which will drastically change the situation with the station, Bryukhanov said. At present the main safety rule for the station's operation is that a three-men crew can be evacuated in an emergency by a Soyuz spacecraft. With a Clipper docked at the station, the permanent ISS crew can be increased by two to three times.

"We will certainly spend more money on the new craft's construction, but we will be able to use it for about 25 missions with increased cargo capacity and double the crew," Bryukhanov said. "It will be obviously less expensive than the current program."

According to the expert, Russia can build the Clipper on its own using domestic technologies while it is still possible. However, the Federal Space Agency believes it will be more effective and strategically important for Russia to involve other countries in the project, the weekly said.

en.rian.ru...

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
If the US falls behind, like it is, in maned space exploration then we leave it up to Russia to do the colonization and I don't think many want that to happen.

Great Find

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The Russians won't build Clipper alone, the Europeans will collaborate. The result may look nice...

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludo182
The Russians won't build Clipper alone, the Europeans will collaborate. The result may look nice...

Yes, shore!

Europeans would not put a cent in Russian Space exploration.

Look at ISS, after grouded of shuttle, european say that they would think about european model on ISS. So if only america will get in Russian Clepper. But this will never happend.

So, Russia build it by her self.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I think that the Russians will do it. I love Russian technology. It is simple and brute force, and hence reliable (which is a very good thing when your building rockets). The Russians also have a lot of very very talented people in their country and a lot of real quality educational institutes.

They also have an excellent track record as well. Soyuz was a great craft. Mir, was up there for years, well past what it was designed for. (yes I know there were issues towards the end but on the whole it was an amazing achievement for the Russians)

Politically speaking as well, the drive is there, Putin is on a big prestiege drive in Russia at the moment. He wants Russia to be great again. Their economy is doing well and with the space shuttle problems I think NASA needs to watch its back.

posted on Aug, 17 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
not really news, has been around for quite some time. always good to see some concrete plans to get humans into space and the russians have a lot of experience and reliable technologies, so i guess it will work

Originally posted by pushkin

Europeans would not put a cent in Russian Space exploration.

Look at ISS, after grouded of shuttle, european say that they would think about european model on ISS. So if only america will get in Russian Clepper. But this will never happend

well...seems like the ESA does not confirm this, but nothing is decided in this potential cooperation

Europe envisages cooperation on new Russian space plane
The key decision on Europe's future involvement in Kliper could be made in December. European government ministers responsible for space will be meeting to consider ESA's programme of space exploration.

www.esa.int...

seems like they're seriously thinking about it, and i think it would be good for europes space agency, but i'm afraid the politicians will ( as usual ) say no or at least bail out when it's 80% ready ( greetings to hermes and co. )

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Would really like to get a look a this shuttle? Where can or can I find it somewhere on the Net?

Dallas

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
you can find some basic info here :

www.russianspaceweb.com...

some mockup pics :

www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru...

good to see they are building the winged version

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Looks like a good sturdy design, not the first time Russia has built a shuttle before.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I always found the Russian spacecraft more interesting than some of the American ones, most likely because as Americans we already know what our own ships look like. I like this design for the new Russian shuttle, but it has the disadvantage of a lack of cargo bay.

Its so...tiny...

[edit on 18-8-2005 by invader_chris]

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
here i present the latest possible pics of the project
these are still being displayed at MAKS-2005 air show - Zhukovsky, Russia
(Duration: 16th to 22nd August 2005)

Pic 1
Pic 2

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Actually the US might help it happen. If they can give up the ISS and focus on the Moon they will solve thir space budget once and for all.

Let NASA do real science and exploration instead of remaining stuck as it has been for the last twenty years.

posted on Aug, 19 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Actually the US might help it happen. If they can give up the ISS and focus on the Moon they will solve thir space budget once and for all.

Let NASA do real science and exploration instead of remaining stuck as it has been for the last twenty years.

top topics

join