It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saturns Moon has a Hot Spot???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This was just in that Saturn's Moon has a hot spot on it.
Here the link to the webpage.

Interesting thing is what could make it a hot spot when the planet was suppose to be much cooler than expected.

What do you guys think is making this "hot spot"
Is it just normal?
Or could there be something else?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
We are currently covering this topic at Ignorance Denied.

ignorancedenied.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
This topic is already being discussed in this forum, here's the link.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Discussion on the other ATS thread hasn't been going on for more than 10 days. This thread stands.

E_T

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
That temperature wouldn't need huge heat source, remember that 85 K is -188 C (or -307 F) so it isn't really hot in literal meaning of word, it's just warmer than most of surface.

And considering radioactive decay as heat source, this object is definitely small enough for differentiation not to happen (which requires melting) leaving all different "building material" pieces of moon to their original places.

posted on Aug, 18 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
A radioactive heat source is a good idea, but a small moon like that would have expended it's fuel along time ago, that is, if it's an old moon. I still believe that this heat is being generated by internal friction.

Why dosen't other areas of the moon show warmer areas if it's caused by internal fiction, you may ask. The simple answer I can think of is that the south pole of the moon appears to have fissures that my extend deeply into the moon. The interior may be warmer then the outside, the fissures release frozen gases from inside that were heated just enough to sublimate, or liquify and evaporate.

Kind of like what goes on with a comet, just without sunlight being a primary heat sorce. I think this moon and Iapetus are captured comets and Saturn's rings are formed from debris from this one.

P.S. - I wonder what Richard Hoagland will make of this. He will probably say there is some alien reactor in it that's charging up to shoot a laser at earth in 2012, or he will say that there is a liquid ocean inside the moon and claim that he came up with the idea first, until some real scientist comes along and sues him for plagerisim.

[edit on 8/18/2005 by GoldEagle]

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
this is a difficult one...

it cannot be caused by nuclear fusion cause its just not hot enough...

friction would not produce that much heat...

iam not gonna turn to 'aleins-are-there-and-are-gonna-kill-us-all-yet'!

MY GOD! ALEINS ARE THERE AND ARE GONNA KILL US ALL!

posted on Sep, 4 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue_sky_9
friction would not produce that much heat...

It's enough to heat up and create a possible ocean under Europa's ice layer and turn Io into a volcanic furnace.

posted on Sep, 5 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Maby a long time ago it got rammed by a gigantic body, possibly another moon, which caused heating in the place where it got hit. And the two merged together. Could have been 10000 years ago.

new topics

top topics

join