It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fresh allegations Iraqi prisoner abuse emerge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Former Iraqi prisoners claim in a BBC program to be broadcast today that British troops abused and humiliated them in the aftermath of the US-led invasion in March 2003.

The fresh allegations fuelled suspicion that the Army was following a policy of "systematic abuse and torture" when dealing with Iraqi detainees.

Two brothers, Marhab and As'ad Zaaj-al-Saghir, alleged they were beaten with sticks and denied water and sleep after being arrested in Basra, southern Iraq, following the invasion.

BBC's Newsnight said the accounts were similar to numerous other claims made in a confidential report by the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Human rights lawyer Phil Shiner, who is acting for dozens of Iraqis who have made claims against the British Army, condemned the alleged abuses.

"I think there is fairly clear evidence that there is a policy within the British Army in Iraq of systematic abuse and torture," he said.

The Ministry of Defence told the BBC it had investigated 177 complaints against British troops.

The Ministry highlighted its "robust system for investigating incidents involving the death, injury or alleged ill-treatment of civilians on operations."

Seven soldiers were last month charged over the death of an Iraqi hotel receptionist who died in British custody in Basra six months after the invasion.

Source:
ABC News Online

Apparently the British Troops also performed alot of so called "systematic abuse and torture" when dealing with Iraqi detainees.

The more I read these Reports and these News about Abuses and Torture performed by the Coalition Troops, the more Obvious it is, that they are not some single cases of random soldiers going nuts - but a well organized and systematic system of abuse and torture, ordered from the very top in the chain of command.

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Souljah, Please stop Putting capital Letters on the Words that you want to Emphsise! It looks Daft and reads Terribly!

As for the abuse, well its not that surprising, armies arent very nice things to start with, and when struggling against a faceless enemy they get nasty.

Not a justification, this is truley barbaric, but again no evidence that it was ordered from above. However the failure of any heads to role in the high command suggests that there is a quiet acceptance that these things go on in wars.

A shame, but what can be done? Beyond shouting and screaming at people who refuse to listen?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
i dont see Osama demanding investigation wenever his followers commit torture and murder. i rather have the army then a terrorist group that doesnt even send a video to al jazeera promising an investigation on people who commits crimes. do u?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Why should I Stop Putting capital Letters on the Words that you want to Emphsise? I Like it!

Ofcourse there is no Evidence - any evidence presented would surely mean a Big Public Outrage and a big decrease in Public Support of alleged War on Terror.

But since the "Small People" take the blame - like these Soldiers that really have to do the Dirty Work, nothing ever changes.

People are tortured and abused, and the majority just turns their heads away, saying to themselves: "They DESERVED it anyway".

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Fine About the Bloody Capitals!

But was there a downturn in support for the war on terror after the abu ghirab fiasco?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
Fine About the Bloody Capitals!

Hey - You should try it Also! It's FUN!

But was there a downturn in support for the war on terror after the abu ghirab fiasco?

Imagine the "DownTurn" IF the information leaked out that the president or the PM Himself authorized this Abuses - or worse, if they Ordered them?

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Perhaps, but is that likely to happen? I cant see it myself, Bush and Blair seem adapt at avoiding or deflecting criticism. look what happened in England when the government was attacked, the BBC and Daily Mirror lost their leaders while being innocent while the government got away scot free!

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
Perhaps, but is that likely to happen? I cant see it myself, Bush and Blair seem adapt at avoiding or deflecting criticism. look what happened in England when the government was attacked, the BBC and Daily Mirror lost their leaders while being innocent while the government got away scot free!

It Can happen - if somebody "Breaks" and Leaks out information.

Like a General.

But by doing that he would also be signing his own Death Certificate.

So, is that likely to happen?

I guess not - but you know what they say: HOPE dies Last....

top topics

join